Songwriter Forum > The Writing Process

How do you stay original?

<< < (2/4) > >>

cowparsleyman:
A good point, and one which is close to my heart.

I haven't listened to anything commercial for lots of years, I just make my own, and I have been really surprised on this forum, when folk say, 'Oh that sounds like x or y' and I've quite literally never heard of them.

I gave up doing covers, and I just want to do my own thing, it's so liberating and I get the sense that it's all worthwhile, rather than working on a cover where the result has to be - Oh that's better/worse than the original.

So keeping my stuff original is easy, I might lean towards a genre, or try and do a song in the style of a band that I like the sound of...

hope this helps

cpm

tboswell:
A wise man once said something along the lines of....

...everything has been done before, all the notes have been played, the chords, all the words. The only unique thing in the equation of your music is YOU!

So concentrate on putting yourself and your experience and personality into the music and it will be like no one else's.

rightly:

--- Quote from: tboswell on September 04, 2018, 05:55:38 PM ---A wise man once said something along the lines of....

...everything has been done before, all the notes have been played, the chords, all the words. The only unique thing in the equation of your music is YOU!

So concentrate on putting yourself and your experience and personality into the music and it will be like no one else's.

--- End quote ---

I think the wise man was in to something there

tfz:
Not sure how you write; music first, lyrics first, both, but you could try writing lyrics to the tune of a different song, and then try putting that to your own music and arrangement.  May not fit with the Arctic's style of writing a push you out of your comfort zone.

PopTodd:
I just write. Without trying to sound like anything.
Just write a good song.
Who it sounds like is not my concern, but what it sounds like is.
I write the song and, then give it the treatment I think it needs to sound the best it can. If it sounds like someone else... oh, well, that's who I am today.
Hopefully it always sounds like me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version