• 11 Replies

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« on: August 02, 2018, 11:51:18 AM »
Hi Folks,

It's been a while.....

Katie emailed me a set of lyrics a few months ago and asked if I'd like to make a song out of them. This is the result. Putting music to someone else's lyrics is a lot harder than with your own so I hope this works. All feedback most welcome

M

https://soundcloud.com/alan-walker-4/rainy-days-lyrics-by-katie-wilson

Rainy Days

Rainy days , rainy, rainy days
Sitting alone in my front room
Finding myself looking at the light
The light

Caught in a moment of reflection
Thinking of the past
As my glass on the side is half full,full

Can people really see what's inside my head ?
The sound of a car outside awakens me
Where do I go from here ?

Where are any of us going ?
No one has a way of knowing

Is sadness real ? All my friends have gone away
I wake up, open my eyes
My mind is full of ghosts
Why, why, why I ask myself

Can people really see what's inside my head, my head

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 12:57:09 PM »
This is gorgeous. You've done an excellent job interpreting Katie's lyrics. Perfect mood setting.

Lynn

Liam

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 02:26:35 PM »
First time I’ve listened to it love it xxx

refusedrevival

• Solo Gig
    • Refused Revival
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2018, 03:52:45 PM »
Hi,

Quite nice intro and the first verse but then I would expect much more variation. Not only adding extra instrument, so at least 90 seconds too long for my taste.

refusedrevival

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2018, 05:26:43 PM »
@montydog

@Katieoasis

Lets be straight,I love melancholic songs,it's the introspection,the navel gazing,it all brings inspiration for me. Funnily enough,I'm not someone who mopes about feeling sorry for himself,but my musical tastes definitely lie to the reflective!  :D

Increasingly,I'm finding myself not much bloody use at reviewing songs on here,not because I've nothing to say,but mostly because I usually like what I hear.

I enjoyed everything about this,from the gentle intro,through to the cello giving the song the feel the Beatles captured so well on Eleanor Rigby. The Knopfler inspired guitar starting at 2.30 is gorgeous. Love the Hammond touches in there too.

The mood of the lyrics gels perfectly with the music.

Great collab Alan and Katie.  8)

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2018, 10:13:16 PM »
First of all guys. What an excellent sets of lyrics. I think that the job that you have done fitting the lyrics to your music Alan is fantastic. As you say it's not easy fitting lyrics from a co-writer to music but this works extremely well. Lovely instrumation and your vocals are sounding rich and velvety Alan. Top work guys

RobertMundane

• Busker
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2018, 11:45:07 PM »
THIS IS BEAUTIFUL!!!! I was in love with the guitar at the beginning of the song and then when the cello came in a was geeking out. REALLY GOOD JOB ON THIS!!! I also like you lyrical style. Its simple, yet very deep. great job on this one man.

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2018, 01:08:45 AM »
Alan and Katie,

Lush soundscape Alan, it is really sympathetic and cathartic and suits the lyrics mood.
The guitars and your vocals sound fab.I particularly like your bass playing on this one.
The mix and productions really good.

Languid splendour.
 :)
neil
songwriter of no repute..

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2018, 02:47:44 PM »
Thanks to all who took the time......

Generally positive feedback which is a huge relief. It was a chance to base a song around my favourite chord - Fmaj7

Alan and Katie,

Lush soundscape Alan, it is really sympathetic and cathartic and suits the lyrics mood.
The guitars and your vocals sound fab.I particularly like your bass playing on this one.
The mix and productions really good.

Languid splendour.
 :)
neil

Thanks, Neil. I'm pleased that you thought the musical setting was appropriate since this is one of your strengths. Also gratified that you liked the production as once again, this is one of your many talents :-)

First of all guys. What an excellent sets of lyrics. I think that the job that you have done fitting the lyrics to your music Alan is fantastic. As you say it's not easy fitting lyrics from a co-writer to music but this works extremely well. Lovely instrumation and your vocals are sounding rich and velvety Alan. Top work guys

Thank you pompey. Again, I'm pleased that I seemed to have found a musical setting that worked.

@montydog

@Katieoasis

Lets be straight,I love melancholic songs,it's the introspection,the navel gazing,it all brings inspiration for me. Funnily enough,I'm not someone who mopes about feeling sorry for himself,but my musical tastes definitely lie to the reflective!  :D

Increasingly,I'm finding myself not much bloody use at reviewing songs on here,not because I've nothing to say,but mostly because I usually like what I hear.

I enjoyed everything about this,from the gentle intro,through to the cello giving the song the feel the Beatles captured so well on Eleanor Rigby. The Knopfler inspired guitar starting at 2.30 is gorgeous. Love the Hammond touches in there too.

The mood of the lyrics gels perfectly with the music.

Great collab Alan and Katie.  8)

Thank you so much Davey - your positive comments mean a lot to someone such as myself who has a tenuous grasp on confidence.

Hi,

Quite nice intro and the first verse but then I would expect much more variation. Not only adding extra instrument, so at least 90 seconds too long for my taste.

refusedrevival

Well just goes to show that you can't please everyone :-(

First time I’ve listened to it love it xxx

Thank the lord I didn't f*ck up. Many thanks and a pleasure to collaborate with you.

This is gorgeous. You've done an excellent job interpreting Katie's lyrics. Perfect mood setting.

Lynn

Thanks, Lynn. Your opinion seems to be (almost) universally shared. So pleased you enjoyed it.

Hi Folks,

It's been a while.....

Katie emailed me a set of lyrics a few months ago and asked if I'd like to make a song out of them. This is the result. Putting music to someone else's lyrics is a lot harder than with your own so I hope this works. All feedback most welcome

M

https://soundcloud.com/alan-walker-4/rainy-days-lyrics-by-katie-wilson

Rainy Days

Sitting alone in my front room
Finding myself looking at the light
The light

Caught in a moment of reflection
Thinking of the past
As my glass on the side is half full,full

Can people really see what's inside my head ?

Where are any of us going ?
No one has a way of knowing

Is sadness real ? All my friends have gone away
I wake up, open my eyes
My mind is full of ghosts
Why, why, why I ask myself

Can people really see what's inside my head, my head

Lynn

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2018, 09:11:11 PM »
I get a bit of start-of-space-odyssey vibe mixed in with Richard Hawley, which is a nice mix :D. The melody and delivery of the vocal in the verses suit the mellow production perfectly
I felt it lost its way a little around the lines 'Where are any of us going ? No one has a way of knowing'. The melody tailed off when I felt it should be cranking up or introducing some kind of change to keep the song moving along.

RealKevM

• Platinum Album
    • Soundcloud Real KevM 2
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2018, 10:49:03 PM »
Nice colab guys.

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2018, 10:07:04 PM »
Gorgeous voice you have there @montydog, there's a beautiful warmth to it and this is a lovely song... lyrics work a treat - sad and strike a chord - they sound heart-felt and real.. The image of lying awake after being woken up by the car I think is very strong. Very well performed. Just lovely!

Karen.