konalavadome

All the best people have gone home - home video

• 9 Replies

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« on: August 02, 2018, 03:56:44 AM »
I wrote this song last year and recorded it in someone's flat last Xmas.
I watched it again today n realised it's not that bad.
I really want to step up my game, so advice n feedback is very welcome,
hey, or even a hard truth from those that can.

All The Best People Have Gone Home

all the best
     people have gone home
   when I go
          I'll not return, oh no
well I guess, I'll be the next, hereafter-show
    all the best people have gone home

a change of
      scenery does not hurt
   it's all about,
       perspective makes things work (work it out)
  like a jealous wind, where am I to begin?   
       a change of scenery wouldn't hurt

I've made mistakes, one made me think twice
  should I die today, would tomorrow be alright?

there's no need
      to enter like a thief
  show me your
         hunger, show me your grief
take some more, take anything you want from me     
    there's no need for you to enter like a thief

I've made mistakes, one made me think twice
would it be okay, if I turn off the lights
    it's a quiet place, in death as in life
If I die today, will tomorrow be alright?

https://vimeo.com/248871516
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 02:42:32 PM by Rightly »
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 12:52:42 PM »
That was really great! You have great stage presence. You sound very confident and were compelling to watch. I'd love to see you play live.

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 05:06:23 PM »
Cool to see you at work Rightly.

This is also a favourite of mine,so much that I recorded a cover 10 months ago,if you remember. However nothing beats a writer performing his own song with nowhere to hide.

rightly

• Stadium Tour
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2018, 03:37:21 PM »
Cool to see you at work Rightly.

This is also a favourite of mine,so much that I recorded a cover 10 months ago,if you remember. However nothing beats a writer performing his own song with nowhere to hide.

yes, @Skub . Of I remember, I really like your version.
I was delighted and felt quite flattered when I first recieved it. Definately a highlight of last year for me.

@redrhodie

I'm quite out of practice with playing in public, and even playing the guitar.
I'm looking forward to getting back into it. I used to suffer from stagefright.
After about a year of drama and quite frequent performances the nerves problem seemed have disappeared.
The change seemed quite sudden and disorientating. I started trying things out, like being nice to the audience or trying and often failing to be funny.

I didn't care, it was liberating. It was often similar to lucid dreaming.
I did start hearing people say that I had "stage presence". Praise can be tricky, if you fall for it, it can fill you with prejudice.

If you get caught in an "open" mic (sometimes thy're only open by name n' not nature)
and the program is front to back cowboy songs, with the alternative Puppy-love gone wrong songs.
it can become a bit of a tight, testing situation.

Can't wait to get back to live performance, there's still a lot to explore there.  :)

And there you have it. 

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2018, 12:39:39 PM »
That's great that you fought your way through the stage fright. I wouldn't have thought that would have ever been an issue for you. You seem very comfortable and confident. I have it and can't make myself even consider playing live without major anxiety. Luckily I'm happy recording. Good things still come to me that way, cool people to collaborate with, and I get to miss seeing the faces of the downers. Haha.

I hope you'll post some more videos. I really enjoyed that. Also, More Forgiving When Drunk has been stuck in my head since I listened to it, a really good thing. It's very memorable. I really like it.

Lynn

rightly

• Stadium Tour
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2018, 02:34:27 PM »
That's great that you fought your way through the stage fright. I wouldn't have thought that would have ever been an issue for you. You seem very comfortable and confident. I have it and can't make myself even consider playing live without major anxiety. Luckily I'm happy recording. Good things still come to me that way, cool people to collaborate with, and I get to miss seeing the faces of the downers. Haha.

I hope you'll post some more videos. I really enjoyed that. Also, More Forgiving When Drunk has been stuck in my head since I listened to it, a really good thing. It's very memorable. I really like it.

Lynn

Lol. Just for the record, (I've many detailed anecdotes) yes, I suffered. 

At the beginning there might have been an audience of only seven people, and half of them were too drunk to dislike anything.
I'd still go to the bathroom 10 minutes before being called up.
I'd look at my feet and they seemed miles away. A drop of sweat rolled from my armpit, I'd think FFS why now!? Hypersensitive.
I'd stare in the mirror seriously and silently ask myself why I'm doing this. The answer never came easy and often not at all.
At the beginning I'd often be very glad when my performance was over. 
There was no way of telling in advance wether I'd be completely destroyed when heading for the stage or terribly nervous.

After getting on stage sometimes things  got just a little easier but not much.
Most folks genuinely disliked what I played. I was shunned by fellow artists and sometimes it hurt.
I really don't know what kept me going. 
Sometimes people were nasty.

I did usually have a quiet and profound belief in myself though. 
I'd very rarely get positive feedback that I could trust.  Close friends simply don't count. 

Once I brought a zoom recorder to record my playing and things started to change.
I'd play for myself, trying to get an interaction with the audience going to enjoy later.

Another time I really enjoyed performing, and things changed again and I wouldn't be recording myself. 

After about two years of drama I was ok.
About two years ago I enjoyed myself with every performance but was usually half drunk, or worse. .
I stopped drinking, things were strange again but not for long.

I still think the audience would often prefer to hear cliched Cowboys or cheap imitators, or "puppy lovers" than me. There was a time I generally disliked the any audience. That's behind me now.   

I've too often heard intelligent people give me an heartfelt  "wow" and too often seen reserved types looking enthused and elated with a performance of mine to ever seriously doubt myself. I'm not saying this happens all the time.
 I can at least be fun and entertaining and at most very, very good. 

It was a struggle and more so because I did it my own way.
I don't mind imitation from others that much, there's just no way I could maintain enough interest for me to pull off an imitation. 
I can play very few covers... Unfortunately. I can't force myself.

Rant over lol. 

And there you have it. 

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2018, 03:02:21 PM »

Lynn

Lol. Just for the record, (I've many detailed anecdotes) yes, I suffered. 

At the beginning there might have been an audience of only seven people, and half of them were too drunk to dislike anything.
I'd still go to the bathroom 10 minutes before being called up.
I'd look at my feet and they seemed miles away. A drop of sweat rolled from my armpit, I'd think FFS why now!? Hypersensitive.
I'd stare in the mirror seriously and silently ask myself why I'm doing this. The answer never came easy and often not at all.
At the beginning I'd often be very glad when my performance was over. 
There was no way of telling in advance wether I'd be completely destroyed when heading for the stage or terribly nervous.

After getting on stage sometimes things  got just a little easier but not much.
Most folks genuinely disliked what I played. I was shunned by fellow artists and sometimes it hurt.
I really don't know what kept me going. 
Sometimes people were nasty.

I did usually have a quiet and profound belief in myself though. 
I'd very rarely get positive feedback that I could trust.  Close friends simply don't count. 

Once I brought a zoom recorder to record my playing and things started to change.
I'd play for myself, trying to get an interaction with the audience going to enjoy later.

Another time I really enjoyed performing, and things changed again and I wouldn't be recording myself. 

After about two years of drama I was ok.
About two years ago I enjoyed myself with every performance but was usually half drunk, or worse. .
I stopped drinking, things were strange again but not for long.

I still think the audience would often prefer to hear cliched Cowboys or cheap imitators, or "puppy lovers" than me. There was a time I generally disliked the any audience. That's behind me now.   

I've too often heard intelligent people give me an heartfelt  "wow" and too often seen reserved types looking enthused and elated with a performance of mine to ever seriously doubt myself. I'm not saying this happens all the time.
 I can at least be fun and entertaining and at most very, very good. 

It was a struggle and more so because I did it my own way.
I don't mind imitation from others that much, there's just no way I could maintain enough interest for me to pull off an imitation. 
I can play very few covers... Unfortunately. I can't force myself.

Rant over lol.

I can't tell you how helpful that is to read right now. I'm wearing a t shirt that says "nevertheless she persisted" because I understand exactly what you're saying.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2018, 09:48:08 PM »
Hi Rightly.  I read your "rant" earlier on and have to say that I agree with so much that you say. Your video performance portrays confidence and unique originality. I guess that I would be one of those guys sitting quietly at the back enjoying every minute of your performance and would have been a bit embarrassed to have actually got up and told you so. Keep delivering your wonderful music man cos I'm a huge fan  :)

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2018, 10:38:38 PM »
Oh, I do want to say "Wow"! I seldom watch videos because of my bandwidth problem, but I can watch with my phone; it's just extra annoying dinking around. Still, I decided to watch this and I am really glad I did. Watching you adds a wonderful dimension to the listening experience.

I know I haven't been commenting on your songs, but I do listen every now and then...and I admit, at first I didn't care for your style. I've decided it's an acquired taste, at least for me, because I have grown to like it better and better. If you post more videos, I'll be watching them. Excuse me while I install the Vimeo app on my phone....

BTW, I'm glad to discover there's another person who likes something besides the "cliched Cowboys or cheap imitators" and "puppy lovers" songs.

Vicki

rightly

• Stadium Tour
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2018, 03:57:00 PM »
Oh, I do want to say "Wow"! I seldom watch videos because of my bandwidth problem, but I can watch with my phone; it's just extra annoying dinking around. Still, I decided to watch this and I am really glad I did. Watching you adds a wonderful dimension to the listening experience.

I know I haven't been commenting on your songs, but I do listen every now and then...and I admit, at first I didn't care for your style. I've decided it's an acquired taste, at least for me, because I have grown to like it better and better. If you post more videos, I'll be watching them. Excuse me while I install the Vimeo app on my phone....

BTW, I'm glad to discover there's another person who likes something besides the "cliched Cowboys or cheap imitators" and "puppy lovers" songs.

Vicki

Hi. Thanks for commenting

You might be right with "acquired taste". Such tastes are probably the best tastes. lol!

If a lover of hip hop, or the pop band, oasis (just for example, no condemnation) were to start listening to J. S. Bach, or Miles Davis
I wonder how long it'd take him/her to be able to get along with Bach's or Miles's music.

All the best, Rightly

And there you have it.