An Old Single

• 9 Replies

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« on: July 25, 2018, 10:28:39 PM »
Bizzairely the other day some guy posted up a single that my band had out in 1984. My copies were lost or turned into ashtrays many years ago. Anyway for anybody who fancies a listen in my Jazz Funk stage here we go

Recorded in Horizon Studios Coventry 23rd March 1984

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 04:40:10 AM »
It's fun to hear something you did in the dim, distant past!  ;D :P

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 07:35:33 AM »
A glorious slice of the mid 80s there Pompey. Very enjoyable. Shame to make ashtrays from them though (don't you know nobody smokes anymore :p )

Cool melody, and catchy chic-y guitar. Thanks for sharing :)
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

ScottLevi

• Platinum Album
  • Keep on Trucking
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2018, 05:07:45 PM »
Heya John,

Ha must be lovely for something you've worked on in the past to creep back I to the spotlight, really something to be proud of.

Had a listen yesterday and it's a sweet track, 34 years ay you been smashing it since before I was born.

Catch ya around.

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2018, 08:18:27 PM »
Yo pompeyfunk.

A very cool look back into your musical past,John. You have very right to be well proud of the track. Awesome stuff. I also have a few tracks from the same era,some are at the arse end of my soundcloud page under SOS. More simple R&R than your level of sophistication! Who was the funk-meister on the bass? Did ya hire Mark King?

Ta for the share man.  :)

johnlondon

• Open Mic
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2018, 09:44:17 PM »
Excellent track John, with the right promotion catching the publics ear, how different things might have been! ;D Like the bass, and Bananarama on backing vocals ;) they must have been cheap then.
I came in from the wilderness a creature void of forum

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2018, 09:54:38 PM »
Hey thanks Vicki, Tone, Scott and Skub. It really is quite strange to hear this stuff again after so many years although in some ways it seems like yesterday. Horizon Studios was a fab place to record. Sadly now demolished and a shiny new Matalan in its place. The Specials recorded Gangsters there.Studio time in those days  (as ever) was very expensive. I think we paid around 200 quid for a day but one of the bv singers Dad's was loaded so we tapped him up. We did manage to shift most of the 1000 singles we had pressed and recovered the costs for Kay'so dad. He was so pleased that he invited us to play at his silver wedding but less impressed when our drummer put his fags out on the whole salmon centrepiece. Incidentally the bass player is a guy named Mark Harold who is still knocking out some fabulous Jazz stuff with his missus

https://www.ggmusiconline.co.uk/

Gonna have to visit your past now Davy  :)

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2018, 10:05:14 PM »
@johnlondon You hit the nail on the head about the bvs. I hadn't really seen it like that before.  We did get a record of the week thingy on local radio and Andy Peebles played it on Radio 1 and got some decent gigs but keeping a 9 piece band together with "musical differences" and trying to hold down a job was never going to be easy. Anyway,  fun times, and long time ago  :)

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2018, 10:19:41 PM »
Btw. Just got the B side posted.  I much prefer it to the A side

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2018, 03:32:47 PM »
I enjoyed both tracks John,fine playing and composition by all involved.

I could hear Level 42 doing the B side.  8)