Advice on singing

• 20 Replies

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz

Liam

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2018, 09:03:10 AM »
Thanks guys I just wanted to understand a bit about theory - does it me that it's best if I want to write a song in the c major that I find out what notes are in that key for it to sound better .
I'm trying to understand about scales and to understand how the fretboard works as well

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2018, 12:06:24 PM »
Katie,

It is my opinion that to begin writing in a particular key with an awareness of the the available notes in that key, is the most stifling way to construct a melody. I'd go as far as saying, it is forced. Understanding keys and intervals is one thing but writing for me comes from the heart. It comes from listening to countless melodies that eventually live in the subconscious. I then connect with my feelings and the vast library of melodies that are stored there.   I could be sitting in the most boring, mundane place but then I am somewhere else completely when I connect with my emotions and my creative spirit. Melodies come from that place. There are musical intervals and keys but I never deliberately/mechanically try to understand what I am doing. I can analyse what I have done and understand that but music is for me, exactly what I have explained and I urge anyone to follow the same practices.

Paul
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 12:08:40 PM by Wicked Deeds »

Liam

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2018, 09:17:00 AM »
Thanks Paul what you say is exactly how I want to approach things I don't want to be dogged down by keys and scales ( aren't rules to be broken ) I don't know the pleutonic scales or whatever they are , I just want to express myself and if I sounds ok to me then it's good enough for me

It's the same as my writing I write without thinking it just comes from inside - I'm learning the chords and taking it from there , I don't know all the notes on a fretboard it over whelms me some what - trying to understand what major scales , minor scales - diminutive - 1 4 5

2 3 6 is all about and to be honest it starts to spoil the whole fun of picking up a guitar and over thinking.
So I'm just gonna pick up my guitar try playing a few chords , making up riffs - adding. Words and seeing what I get - thanks Paul

Cawproductions

• Platinum Album
  • Producer, Engineer & Songwriter
    • AtticVibes Music Library
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2018, 06:51:13 PM »
Hi Katie...

Personally for me I like to know what chords are available in what key I am playing in. I guess thats theory BUT....totally agree with the others too. Got go with what you feel is cool.

As for singing, I have only been doing vocals on our tracks for about a year, Practice makes them better...ha, yeh I am no vocal guys for sure but with practice it does improve,

ps, don't be afraid to give it welly...you can always delete after.

I would much rather work with a pitchy but emotional vocal take than a lifeless pitch perfect one.

Good luck.

Liam

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2018, 09:54:51 AM »
Thanks Caw I'm sure I'll pick up bits of theory as I go along xx