Advice on singing

• 20 Replies

Liam

« on: July 24, 2018, 01:24:10 PM »
Hi anyone got any advice on singing - i can't play music but I've decided rather than wait around waiting for people to like my lyrics I'm going to try and find my singing voice - it's a bit stutterry and nervous but I'm hoping the more that I do it the better I'lll get and will relax more and find my level and will also,be therapeutic for me

Just wondered if anyone had any advice on breathing or other tips to help me

Thanks Katie

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 02:20:03 PM »
It would be best, of course, if you had a voice teacher or coach in person. If that isn't possible, you could search for videos of vocal exercises. Go for ones that give you ideas for staying relaxed while vocalizing and that teach you how to warm up your voice before pushing it. These are to protect your vocal cords from damage.

One trick I learned from a vocal coach is how to learn to sing higher than you thought you could. Bend at the waist so you look like an upside down upper case L. Then sing a sequence of notes going up a scale, maybe going, la la la la. Pay attention to what happens in your mouth and throat. When you stand up and sing, try to keep that same feel.

A trick to help keep your throat relaxed is to yawn while you're singing. Notice the open feeling in your throat and try to duplicate it when you're singing normally.

Vicki

Liam

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 03:35:59 PM »
Thanks Vicki xxx

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 07:52:21 PM »
I was forced into singing by my bandmates (who WERE good singers) who, when I tried to give them the lyrics to a new song, told me, "You wrote it! You sing it!"
I was terrible at first, but found that the more that I sang, the more I learned what I could and couldn't do with my voice. And then I learned how to do things that I couldn't do before.
I think that, after beginning as a TERRIBLE singer, I've become actually kinda okay. So, my advice to you is:
Just sing and keep singing.
You may never be Harry Nilsson or Sam Cooke, but the more you sing, the better you'll get. It's a muscle you have to exercise.

Liam

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 08:22:18 PM »
Thanks pop it’s just a case of letting go I suppose

Sterix

• Platinum Album
  • Devil may care, I do not!
    • Sterix Rocks!
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2018, 07:53:15 PM »
I think mostly it's about confidence (okay, you DO need some natural ability). I lack the confidence (unless I'm pissed, or well on the way!) so I never sing like I know I can and therefore sound off key/like I'm strangling a cat.

I used to do karaoke and I know I was popular enough that other people wanted to sing with me (used to do a great version of In The End with this young guy who was a seriously good rapper) or would volunteer me to sing certain songs (although, usually that was the DJ, and usually when I was stone-cold sober having just walked into the pub!). But my memory is crap (it's an honest opinion but if I ever get Alzheimer's I'm never gonna know because it really is that bad right now and always has been -  and when you're not confident you can remember the lyrics to a song you know really well it knocks your confidence before you've even started) and I'm naturally shy (hence needing the drink) so most times I sing badly.

So confidence is a big factor in my opinion.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2018, 10:07:26 PM »
Yes, it is about confidence but also getting used to the sound of your own recorded voice which is a bit of a freak out. Most vocalists don't particularly like the heir own voice. The alcohol issue may raise some debate. When I was younger I would usually have a couple to "loosen me up" These days whenever I do music, either recording or live (which is extremely rare) I can have a glass afterwards. Anyway, that's what works for me. No right way or wrong way

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2018, 06:37:57 PM »
Heh,not that I'm any great shakes myself,but as Pops said,just keep doing it and you'll get better.

I do a lot of hollering in the car,if I'm on my own. I've had some strange looks whilst sat in traffic,but who cares. Embarrassment ain't gonna kill me at my age!  :D

Take that song by the scruff of the neck and make everyone believe you mean what you sing. Rock music especially is full of lead singers who aren't great singers,but they learn to use what they have and be confident in themselves.

While it's ok to cop tricks from other singers,don't let that be the sum total of your ambition,all that stuff has been done,just be the best YOU,that hasn't been done.  :)

The S

• Solo Gig
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2018, 09:41:37 AM »
Take that song by the scruff of the neck and make everyone believe you mean what you sing.

This.

I'll take a mediocre vocalist that makes me feel over a technically superior vocalist with no emotion 7 days a week.

If you're having trouble with confidence when singing, try forgetting about how it sounds for a few takes, and just focus on delivering the message of the song. What are you trying to say? Do you emphasize correctly? Etc etc...

Of course, this is somewhat genre specific and will sound better and more authentic in some genres more than others.

Other than that, yeah, sing! Every day, whenever you can. Record yourself as much as possible and critically listen to your recordings and soon enough you'll get better and better. Know your voice and limitations and adjust accordingly. With that I mean, I love a lot of old soul singers, that doesn't mean I try to copy them because I can't, I don't have the voice for it, it only sounds...well...half@ss and bad if I do. So I don't. I try to sing what I can and do it as good as I possibly can.

That's a problem with youngsters from time to time, they try to pull off something they can't and immediately go from good singer to not-so-good. You know when some singers on tv (Idol etc) are in fact really good singers, but they go for that Whitney Houston or Mariah Carey song, and they don't pull it off, they instantly ruin their whole performance and also how we perceive them, unnecessarily I might add. So, very important, be you and make people love you for that, don't copycat because no one will love you for it.

Moral of the story, with the voice you've been given, do what you can and learn to do it well. It'll take you a long way.

Hope it helps!

/Peter
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 10:00:47 AM by The S »

Liam

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2018, 11:43:36 PM »
Thanks some great advice there xxx

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2018, 03:27:17 PM »
Great point about "meaning it."
I've found that the differences between my merely competent performances and the performances of mine that I would actually call "good" has been that, with the "good" performances, I've allowed myself to get lost in it. Almost approaching the song like a method actor. You have to get yourself into that place. Just close your eyes and not worry so much about the notes—if you've rehearsed it enough, those will be fine—but about conveying the emotion of the song.
And, as I said before: PRACTICE. That is how your voice will remember where those notes are, so you can get to that emotional place.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2018, 08:27:05 AM »
Hi Katie

Heard you voice on 'where are you going strangers' and it's OK.

I'm no singer but I find that if you are singing about something you are passionate and that you have written, then it tends to come together.

My biggest tip is to know what your highest and lowest notes are and always stick in between those...There's nothing quite like starting a song and the tide going out, as it were.

Regards

cpm

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2018, 06:43:26 PM »
Hey Katie

Lots of good advice above already.
I would just mention one other thing - listen to the masters.
And I mean really listen.
I used to hear songs by Sinatra, Dean Martin, George Jones and just sit back and enjoy them.
Lately I've been listening for how they do things like drop off the pitch at the end of a word, or start a note flat and bring it up to pitch at the start of a word. Sometimes they will almost "speak" a word, delay a phrase, apply vibrato, etc. Yes, confidence is important, but sounding confident is more so..

Good luck!
Paul

Liam

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2018, 08:25:56 PM »
Thanks guys some great advice there- it’s not easy being introverted to let go , I’m still chugging away learning the guitar and realise that I prefer strumming without a plectrum it just feels right -now I’m trying to learn a bit about music theory I know that 1, 4, 5 are major and that 2,3 , 6 are minor just trying to understand does that mean when writing a song that you have to start with a major then minor minor major major minor -does that mean you can’t start a song in the key of c and then play a g major as your second chord

Going of topic a bit sorry but really keen to understand theory at least a bit

jacksimmons

• Solo Gig
    • Jack Simmons Music Facebook Page
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2018, 08:45:44 PM »
Katie when it comes to songwriting i think it is very important not to get too bogged down with the ‘rules’. Just do what feels and sounds right to you. There are certainly
no rules about where you can and cannot put a minor chord.
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/jack-simmons-1/albums
Bandcamp: https://jacksimmonsmusic.bandcamp.com/

"When I play a dope melody, anything less than the best is a felony." - Robert Matthew Van Winkle