Record Label offers

• 4 Replies

SlavaB

• Open Mic
  • Born to Rock
    • Official Web Site
« on: July 23, 2018, 07:52:54 PM »
Hi guys,

I recently had a record label offer for album release, marketing, promotion, mastering ( within their source, that is mainly hip hop based), EPK. They are asking an upfront fee of 220 pounds to cover administration fees, mastering, etc. And the contract for a year that says i keep 80% of royalties and all rights.

What is your experience? Do you believe that an upfront fee is a norm?

My concern is that why i should pay a fee if they keep 20% of royalties, they wont provide venues to perform live so its all down to me, the studio time and video making has got a separate cost.   Your thoughts on that please.

Thabk you.
Best Regards,
Slava B.

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 08:11:49 PM »
If they're not laying out clearly their responsibilities vs your responsibilities, and their stated targets for furthering your music's reach/ earning potential, then I'd say proceed with much caution.

£220 is not a lot. I've known people offered 'deals' where they've been asked to pay £600 PER SONG for promotional services only. For £220 I can only imagine that they're going to use something like LANDR for mastering. Paying someone to do it by ear would cost more for sure (unless they're in India or somewhere).

If they sound interesting, you can only strengthen your position by asking questions. It shows you're taking the deal seriously, and if they're a serious outfit, they'll want to give you as much information as possible to make a decision.

Let us know how it goes.
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 11:01:20 PM »
You should NEVER pay up front for a record or publishing deal - only ever pay up front for something you know exactly what you are paying for on a "work for hire" basis

What you are describing is a known scam - they do not make their money from selling music, they make their money from the £220 "admin fees" from people like you

They are relying on the fact you will be flattered by the approach and are playing on you achieving your dream - in exactly the same way people approach girls on the street saying "you could be a model - you just need to pay £220 for a portfolio of photos"

I am also guessing you will be "encouraged" to use their studio etc.

Please walk away from this one!!!
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

SlavaB

• Open Mic
  • Born to Rock
    • Official Web Site
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 11:38:48 PM »
Hi Gentlemens,

Thank you for your responses, you proved my fear and saved me my money. They were not very good at responding, constantly had to chase them up. They called Bentley Records.

I was afraid to send money due to those reasons you mentioned but also was afraid to miss an opportunity.

Thank you once gain, will be waiting for a decent offer. Worst case will go with Landr to master and release my debut album.

Best Regards,
Slava B.

KamInnons

• Busker
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2019, 09:19:06 AM »
The second song was a disgrace It was just blaaah There first single wasnt even that good

Well I cant remember the name of it, so it cant have been that good.