CHORUS
Reach for the stars
Never give in to all their tired and sad clichés
Be who you are
Not who they think you should - you're more than what they see

Reach for the stars
There is a fighting chance you'll make it all the way
I know it's hard
But you can make it, wjat's the use in playing safe?
(Reach for the stars)
Every twist and turn of fate
You're growing stronger than their hate
So reach for the stars...
(Reach for the stars...)
Yes reach for the stars..
(Be who you are!)
Reach for the stars
And live your life in your own way

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 01:13:42 AM »
This is awesome! The only thing that I noticed...and it surely could be only me, of course...I don't think you need the last line of the chorus. It feels redundant to me. And without it, the "reach for the stars" hook could be the peak and final bit of the chorus.

Either way, though, this is totally great, in my opinion.

Vicki

Canoside

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 07:52:00 AM »
I am very pleased to find this information now because it will make me more aware.

Bill Saunders

• Platinum Album
    • https://soundcloud.com/bill-saunders
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 08:49:21 AM »
I’m not normally one to comment on lyrics as they’re not my (writing) strong suit. However, this really grabbed me, and I found myself singing possible melody lines as I read...composing a song around these would not be without challenges in order to make it scan well. But, it could be done and I’m sure it could be made to sound excellent.

Great lyrics!

Sterix

• Platinum Album
  • Devil may care, I do not!
    • Sterix Rocks!
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 07:33:16 PM »
This is awesome! The only thing that I noticed...and it surely could be only me, of course...I don't think you need the last line of the chorus. It feels redundant to me. And without it, the "reach for the stars" hook could be the peak and final bit of the chorus.

Either way, though, this is totally great, in my opinion.

Vicki

Thanks for the comments Vikki. That last chorus line probably took longer to write than the entire rest of the song. That was about the 6th or 7th version of the line I wrote (not to mention possible rhymes I couldn't find lines for). I even gave myself the grace of being able to rhyme the fourth line or the sixth but I couldn't come up with anything I was entirely satisfied with. I'll probably have another look at this line (maybe one or two others as well) and see if I can come up with something a little more meaningful.

And the song needs a (good) line there because it fits better with the tune (I've just tried singing it without a line there and, to be honest, it doesn't sound right.

This actually came about whilst I was making a cup of coffee yesterday and the first verse (almost as it ended up here) popped into my head (plus a bit of the bridge). I liked the wording so I was desperately tring not to forget them until I could get them down on my computer. :P

I never really meant for it to portray such a powerful(?) message but it just evolved that way. I really wanted to do it justice. I think I did for the most part but there are definitely parts which I feel need strengthening.

I am very pleased to find this information now because it will make me more aware.

Thank you. As a lyricist I always want to produce something that makes people think occasionally. It doesn't often come off but when it does, it's a good feeling. :D
I’m not normally one to comment on lyrics as they’re not my (writing) strong suit. However, this really grabbed me, and I found myself singing possible melody lines as I read...composing a song around these would not be without challenges in order to make it scan well. But, it could be done and I’m sure it could be made to sound excellent.

Great lyrics!
Thanks, Bill. I can still remember the tune (at least to a certain extent) and it sounds pretty decent to me at least!