The Boy From Mars

• 18 Replies

Wicked Deeds

« on: July 06, 2018, 04:18:20 PM »
Hello songwriter forum,

I’ve wanted to get involved with the forum for some time but have to say that has been very difficult.  I’ve had a tough year settling in the northwest and still feel that I have some distance to go. 

I have a beautiful cover version of tone’s song “Killing is my business” and hope to one day share it once I’ve put the finishing touches to it and sent it on to tone for approval. 

I have a million ideas floating around my head but have too many obstacles in my life at present to make them a reality. 

Anyway, I wanted to share a song called “The Boy From Mars” that has lived on my hard drive for too long.  It equires a new vocal and also backing.  I guess it’s time for this song to see the light of day.

https://soundcloud.com/wicked-deeds/the-boy-from-mars

The Boy From Mars

I’ve got a picture in my wallet of the guy I used to be.
How I love that he beat the odds.

He looked ahead and smiled.
He said “I’m checking out, I can’t see blue skies here for miles."

Life came swiftly, he carried the scars.
You must have noticed the boy from mars.

He tried to change the pattern, the fickle hand of fate.
Fate is known for it’s certainty.

He said “I’m checking out, I can’t see blue skies here for miles"

You must have noticed the boy from mars, from mars.

Grief can change how you view the world.
It can make a good man bitter.
Is there no-one who can save me?
I’ve fallen further than the stars.

He said “I’m checking out, I can’t see blue skies here for miles."

You must have noticed the boy from mars.

Written by Paul Vasey

https://soundcloud.com/wicked-deeds/the-boy-from-mars
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 05:29:36 PM by Wicked Deeds »

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2018, 07:02:06 PM »
listening now. you know from the title people r gonna compare this to Ash. Girl from Mars. your song is better.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2018, 09:48:54 PM »
Girl from Mars was my first thought as well Paul. A great piece. Eerie and atmospheric with the trademark Wicked Deeds vocals. Some lovely little piano touches and I particularly liked it when the heavier guitars kicked in. Quality as usual man  :)

Bill Saunders

• Platinum Album
    • https://soundcloud.com/bill-saunders
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2018, 12:14:48 PM »
Hi Paul

Great to hear a new one from you!

I really loved the production on this which is top notch. I am not one for analysing lyrics, all I can say is that they create a wonderful atmosphere in a genre which is right up my street. The piano is particularly pretty and used sparingly to lift it to another level entirely. I just love your vocal delivery on this one. Such a great piece of music.

I've listened through twice now and I tell you - this is a class piece.
Bill

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2018, 05:07:12 PM »
This is the best thing I've heard in a while
Very good, it had my undivided attention the whole way through.
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

Oldbutyet

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2018, 11:42:00 PM »
This sounds like a self  8)

Mikey

• Solo Gig
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2018, 08:46:10 AM »
Hi Paul.

great performance and production, sounds real pro, I enjoyed the song too, reminded me a lot of Deacon blue, with a few Bowie style piano bits, I thought the chorus would have been lifted with some backing vocals  but thats just my thoughts, a great song mate, well done.

Cheers, Mikey

refusedrevival

• Solo Gig
    • Refused Revival
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2018, 08:47:00 AM »
Hi,

This is a quite good song. I like the melody and the feeling of the song. Also the piano is great.

Good stuff!

refusedrevival

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2018, 01:40:41 PM »
Yo Paul.

I love songs which are airy and leave space in the music. It allows the listener to contemplate and time to enjoy a restful experience for the ears.

Lovely work and greatly enjoyed.  :)

richardyot

• Busker
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2018, 04:30:16 PM »
I really love the vocal, lovely intimate quality to the voice, I love softly sung songs. Nice intro and great spacious production - the vocal melody is nicely varied and carries you along the tune. Good job, no crits from me.

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2018, 08:29:52 PM »
It's wonderful for me to drop into the forum after quite a lengthy absence and receive such heart warming comments about one of my songs.  I can't make a full return to this platform yet as there's are so many other things happening in my life at the moment. however, I didn't want to lose touch with this wonderful place and so I took a chance on posting.

'The Boy From Mars' was written many years ago and is one of a number of songs that have been awaiting their time to be unveiled. 

I just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone. The forum is very much like home to me. I'm bound to return with a whole new collection of songs and productions in the future.

Thank you

Paul
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 08:41:18 PM by Wicked Deeds »

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2018, 01:10:25 PM »
I like the mood of this, and in particular the understated but catchy chorus. Lots of delicately controlled instrumentation and your vocal sound is quite unique and contemporary. Enjoyed it, good song!
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2018, 03:33:17 PM »
I'm listening as I write. I like it. I don't hear anything wrong with it. Maybe clean up some of the breaths on the vocals. Turn your mouth slightly away from the mic when you inhale. You also might be a smidge too close. Are you using a pop filter?

I like the vibe and lyrics. The music sounds good.

As for not working because of obstacles, I hope you can figure out a way around them, because it's a real shame that they're holding you back. Good luck!

Lynn

Liam

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2018, 04:13:25 PM »
I knew I'd like this as soon as I heard it - your voice is great - just a bit different - interesting - I think it will grow on me as well
Well done

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2018, 10:41:03 AM »
The response to this song really has been quite a surprise to me.  All of my songs are really autobiographical.  There's always a significant part of my thoughts and feelings evident in my writing.  This song has been so well received and I am very grateful for that.

Thank you

Paul