Hit the ground running (FIRST EVER MUSIC VIDEO NOW ATTACHED!!!!)

• 27 Replies

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« on: July 02, 2018, 12:34:35 AM »
Hi guys,
Thanks to some excellent feedback here and elsewhere I have made significant changes to this song.   ;D
I’ve got rid of the midi piano arps and paid a session pianist to play instead. (an absolute first for me! :)) I’ve also tried to clean up the mix a bit, so that the vocal sits a bit prettier (well....hopefully prettier! :D)
The vocals on this are waaaay wetter than I usually have in my songs and I’ve also used doubling, which I usually avoid. I just like the vibe it seems to bring.  :)

So thanks for all your help and please let me know if anything sticks out/sounds dodgy as I will be releasing this on all platforms in the near future.

Cheers as always
Leo  :D

https://soundcloud.com/leo-b-5/hit-the-ground-running

I see tears fall from her eyes
Says she’s running out of sky
Falling down, falling down

I’ve known her since we were little
A heart so big, but her bones are brittle
She falls so hard
It’s learning how, to hit the ground running

I just pull her close to me
Sometimes there’s no words to speak
Cry it out, cry it out

Trouble in the sky, she takes my hand
I try to break her fall, so she can land
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 10:56:24 PM by LostBoy »

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2018, 11:16:55 PM »
Wow, the first version was good but that piano take the whole thing to a new level (not 100% sure about the short staccato part, adds a nice variation but something feels not quite right) . Vox is absolutely stunning, a tad too ambient for my taste, always prefer a more up in your face, intimate sound for these kind of songs, a matter of personal prefs of course.
But man, you can sing for sure!
Respect!

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2018, 10:22:37 AM »
Leo,
Didn't catch it first time around so delighted to catch up. Up to your usual excellent pro standard ( still love sandcastle ). and loving the harmonies.
Re the mix my preference would be to have your single lead vocal to its normal fx and slightly more proud in the mix to make it stand out a bit more and have the harmonies with the fx..
Either way its a lovely piece.
 :)
neil
songwriter of no repute..

Mikey

• Solo Gig
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2018, 11:13:11 PM »
This is lovely, I didn't want it to end, the vocals are outstanding and the harmony parts are superb. The piano sounds great, I always think that live instruments sound so much better than midi, and I'm a sucker for the string accompaniment in this type of song.

A great song all round, Mikey

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2018, 08:14:34 AM »
@Jambrains @Neil C @Mikey Thanks very much guys. ;D Regarding the vocal fx....just trying something different is all. It would be easy to just do what I always do. :)

Mella

• Busker
    • My Website
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2018, 06:40:54 PM »
Love the lyric play between "heart so big but her bones are brittle" - it makes the mind push and pull a little. This has a Bryan Adams/Phil Collins kind of vibe to it. Great job! My one small critique would be to maybe give the piano a bit of reverb. Not too much, but your vocals are so spaced that the piano sounds a little sharp/harsh. This isn't a must though, awesome work!

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2018, 12:43:12 AM »
Hi @Mella thanks for your thoughtful feedback. I listened to a couple of things on your SC page, you have a lovely voice. I look forward to hearing anything you post here. ;D

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2018, 05:00:25 PM »
I don't have anything new to add to the feedback you've already gotten, but I want to say something because I like this so much! It actually brings tears to my eyes. So beautiful! I liked it before, but I don't remember the previous version being so moving as this one.

Vicki

Cawproductions

• Platinum Album
  • Producer, Engineer & Songwriter
    • AtticVibes Music Library
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2018, 07:38:40 PM »
Hi lostboy.

I am a bit late to this, really like it, vocal is smooth and really easy on the ear.
Nice keys too, although I think I would compress more to ease those early transients but that doesn't take away from the song at all or your guys playing, Great playing, lots of dynamics...

Thumbs up here,
Andy

Bill Saunders

• Platinum Album
    • https://soundcloud.com/bill-saunders
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2018, 10:29:36 PM »
Hi Leo

Wow, what a beautiful song. I'm a sucker for a big vocal reverb, and try hard to resist it myself these days as it's not so much the done thing... But it works very well here. I'd love to know more about your experience in hiring a real pianist. I mean the piano sounds great, so it was obviously worthwhile but it's not something I've ever considered for my own songs, up to this point.

Really enjoyed the listen, thank you.
Bill

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2018, 10:16:03 AM »
Listened to this a few times now, really like it, such a good song 8) can't see how it could be improved so no crits necessary..top stuff! :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2018, 04:15:38 PM »
Yo Leo.

This.is.lovely. in absolutely every way.

Pointless of me to try to imagine changes or crits,it's beyond all that for me. Peerless stuff and one to be proud of.

Off for another listen.  :)

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2018, 10:19:44 AM »

Hit The Ground Running. Lost Boy

Beautiful engaging piano intro, leading to a lovely vocal melody  that pulls at our heart strings.  It’s  a lovely song .  The instrumentation is often delicate and thoughtful.   I would like to hear the introduction of further instrumentation. I think this would then really steal the show.  Fine work !

Paul

Tor Løvstad

• Busker
  • "When the morning sun has come"
    • Tune Academia
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2018, 10:49:11 PM »
Hi, Leo

First, I´m lost for worlds.
That piano intro and those beautiful vocal harmonies is to die for.
Really well done.
Loved the lyrics.
You got something special going here!
keep it up.

Best wishes
Tor Løvstad
Strive to be a better songwriter every day.
Be grateful for who you are.
Remember that is what gives you an egde.

Learn how to write songs at Tune Academia:
http://www.tuneacademia.com

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2018, 07:49:45 PM »
@CaliaMoko thanks so much Vicki, I’m so happy that it moved you. You might like the video that I’ve added for it now... :)

@Cawproductions thanks man! I always appreciate Mix tips. I’m glad u like the song so much!

@shadowfax thanks as always dude!! I appreciate it a lot. I need to hear a new song from you...come on...get writing!, ;D

@Skub ah man! You are too kind as always Davy!! Thank you sir! U might like the video I’ve now attached... :D

@Wicked Deeds thanks very much mate! I definitely toyed with the idea of mooooore...but my mum told me off and said to keep it simple on this one. ;D I did NOT wanna spend any more time on that naughty step!!! ;D

@Tor Løvstad ah man! Thanks so much. I’m thrilled you like it so much. ;D