konalavadome

Which Digital Distribution would you recommend and why

• 12 Replies

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« on: June 23, 2018, 12:32:06 PM »
Hi,
nooms and myself are looking to release the collective output from our joint venture both on Vinyl , CD and Digitally. We have no experience of the latter so I'd appreciate recemmendations, pros/cons and costs from the collective experience of the forum.
Thanks all in anticipation.
 :)
neil
songwriter of no repute..

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2018, 03:39:24 PM »
I've never used any myself, but I know someone who uses onerpm.com. Theoretically, they distribute and market, but he says he hasn't seen evidence of any marketing. He likes them because they have an option that's free. He says it's easy to submit work for distribution, but the site is weird to navigate and they're hard to get hold of.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2018, 05:25:36 PM »
Hi @Neil C @nooms

I've used the Amuse app to distribute 3 albums to ITunes, Spotify, Deezer, Amazon, Yotube etc etc etc

It's free and easy to use

John

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2018, 05:35:17 PM »

thanks @CaliaMoko  ill have a look but bit worrying with the  'weird to navigate and they're hard to get hold of..'

cheers @pompeyjazz  we'll check them out

the search begins..
i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2018, 08:29:12 PM »
I used Distrokid to get the stuff on Spotify etc. It cost about $20 or £15 for a year.

I think pomp's Amuse does all the same stuff for nowt,but I only heard about that afterwards.

I have my doubts about the relevance for the likes of us having music on Spotify anyway. It's there,but it's invisible. I don't think I'd bother again.

Maybe I just can't be bothered pestering people,I dunno.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2018, 10:50:26 PM »
Yes, Amuse does do the biz and they do pay you as well. I have now received  $0.88 total revenue for all of my streaming plays.You can't withdraw any royalties however until you have at least  $10 in your account. Actually Neil that means I owe you 0.00004p.

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2018, 04:33:00 PM »
Thanks everyone.

Pompeyjazz, I demand my royalties NOW!

:)
neil
songwriter of no repute..

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2018, 07:48:51 AM »
I've used SpinnUp and Amuse in the past but move to DistroKid this year purely based on cost.
DistroKid charges a fix fee yearly that let's you release any number of track during that time but it also covers the cost to keep all release track online.
Amuse and SpinnUp charge a fee per release/year thus one would tend to build up an accumulating cost over time just to keep releases up. As an example I think DistroKid is $19.95/year and the others would be like $9.95/year per single, then do the math  ;D

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2018, 08:13:52 AM »
both on Vinyl , CD and Digitally.

I would really put some thought in to the CD production - do you really need physical media?

It can be nice to have a physical product in your hands but unless you are doing it "for yourselves" or playing shows where you can capture some drunken impulse sales at gigs I would strongly recommend going "digital only"

The "distribution" is the easy bit - the hard part is getting YOUR songs heard above everyone else doing the same thing so I would save your energy (and cash) for a marketing campaign to promote your release

A very focussed FACEBOOK campaign may be enough - and there was a recent thread about using Facebook - the more focussed you can be on achieving a pre-determined goal the better - so I would suggest you spend some time to be clear on EXACTLY what you want from this release as the marketing campaigns to support the following goals would be very different: exposure, listens, create a buzz, sales, launch an artist/band (even if it is a virtual Collab), support a tour etc. Etc.

I would suggest being really strict with yourselves and choose only ONE objective - i.e. It would be easy to say exposure AND sales - but IMHO this is a cop out as you will not really know how to measure your success (and the approaches for each may be different)

E.g. - if you want "exposure" or "plays" then you can just "mass advertise" and offer tracks for free (although there is the "perceived value" issue - if it is free does it imply that it is not very good?)

If you want sales then I would say you need to target the "new music bloggers" and influencers to get some recommendations and reviews - and then use this to generate sales

The more focussed you can be on your goal the more likely you are to be consistently aiming for this goal, which will increase your chances of achieving it
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Veance

• Busker
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2018, 10:15:15 PM »
My cousin is into hardcore metal, you know , with the grunting and all...

He got himself really know into that world. Even in America.
He got the idea going to release metal on cassettes again. Limited numbers. As collectables.
nil volentibus arduum

RealKevM

• Platinum Album
    • Soundcloud Real KevM 2
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2018, 10:13:57 PM »
I use routenote, it's easy, free (well they take 15% but no upfront fees) and distribute to Spotify, Amazon, Google Music, Deezer etc as well being able to link up the song on Soundcloud and Youtube and get royalties from that. They don't do any promotion but these days that's something to do ourselves through social media.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2018, 10:46:58 AM »
My cousin is into hardcore metal, you know , with the grunting and all...

He got himself really know into that world. Even in America.
He got the idea going to release metal on cassettes again. Limited numbers. As collectables.

There can be a lot of grunting in folk music too...

cpm

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2018, 04:32:33 PM »
Good luck with the new release chaps!

Paul