• 4 Replies

Miss Stagefright

• Busker
« on: June 20, 2018, 04:05:09 AM »
How do you write a bridge?

My chorus is
on the brink of adventure
don't what were gettin into
but i know one thing and thats there's no one else I wanna be with other than you

HELP!

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 08:51:59 AM »
Hi there - I think you should ask why you need or want a bridge. I'd usually add the bridge / middle 8 or whatever right at the end. They're not all that in vogue these days anyway.

I'd start adding your verses - there must be a story re how they came to be on the edge of something scary and interesting and you should work on getting that story written. I like to give each verse a heading ("how it started", "the crisis", "the next morning" or whatever) so that each one has it's own theme and adds to the development.

And then if you need a bridge to give a different perspective or break from the verse structure you can do so later. Maybe it would be better to have a pre-chorus each time instead to lead back into the chorus...

So I'd say write a bit more first (annoying I know!)

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 05:28:23 PM »
IMHO a bridge gives the opportunity to look at the events in the song from a different perspective - eg how did things used to be?, what will happen in the future if "x" happens?

I completely agree with @adamfarr that it will be much easier to write the bridge - if you still feel the song needs one (which is a judgement call depending on the content of the verse/chorus sections, the story you are telling, the structure of the song, the emotion of the song etc. etc.)

If the main part of your song is about how these 2 people came together (as suggested by Adam) then 2 suggestions for the bridge could be:

- what would have happened if they never met

- what will things be like 10 years from now

I hope this helps kick start your ideas in the right direction
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

philbee

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 11:30:58 PM »
I like having a bridge (or Middle Eight) although I've only ever once stuck to the traditional 32 bar song with a varied 8 bars in the middle.

The other thing I like about a bridge, is that it is an opportunity to 'tell' and keep all the 'showing' in the verses and chorus.
Also it's an opportunity to musically digress from the rest of the music in crazy unexpected ways.

NOTE: This is what the computer does if you write (Middle 8) in brackets using a numeral
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 02:00:53 AM by philbee »

Martinswede

• Platinum Album
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 09:01:28 PM »
Hi!

I agree with @Boydie that a bridge can be used for a different perspective but bridges can also be a more upfront musical 'stairway' leading to a high energy (final) version of the chorus. IMO the important thing is to change the intensity of the song in the bridge. If it's kept at the same level as in the verses it loses a bit of the effect of the song turning in another direction.

Martin