Without You

• 19 Replies

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« on: June 15, 2018, 09:57:11 AM »
Been busy doing collabs with Karen and Leo lately but it's finally time for a Jambrains song. It is no secret I am a big fan of The Hooters and I guess that shines through in this one. Lyrically it features (once again) the couple known from Fade and 4th Of July.
All and any input welcome.

https://soundcloud.com/jambrains/without-you

I can still recall the playground
by the Wal-Mart parking lot
a browned-eyed girl with freckles   
Hand in mine in our secret spot
We used to share a Mars bar
when it was all we could afford
This town was all we knew about
the world not yet explored

Now the ships are sailing
as the tide is turning
but I just can not leave     
not without you   
without you
A Greyhound ticket
in my back pocket
but I just can not leave
not without you
without you

Sitting on the railway bridge
where the trains no longer go
We watched the burning sunset
then jumped into the stream below
And later by the riverside
our jeans hung up to dry
I kissed you for the first time
beneath the starry sky

as the tide is turning
but I just can not leave     
not without you   
without you
A Greyhound ticket
in my back pocket
but I just can not leave
not without you
without you

You dropped out of high school
and I barely made it through
Cos who needs books and rulers 
when the world's waiting for you
These days I work construction
and nights you work the bar
but our pockets are still empty
dreams only go so far

as the tide is turning
but I just can not leave     
not without you   
without you
A Greyhound ticket
in my back pocket
but I just can not leave
not without you
without you

Binladeda

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 11:21:51 AM »

Always a pleasure to hear your voice JB  ;D ;D
 Another well crafted song.  Over the years I've watched/listened
 to you slowly turn Irish ;D ;D ;D .   You should get some gigs over
 there, you'd make a fortune.......

Love your work mate....great song  ;D

Nowt as queer as folk...........my gran

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 03:26:23 PM »
Hi JB, reminded me a lot of the Pogues, you sound like Shane Mcgowan,but fortunately don't look like him ;) ;D. Liked the drum sound, what do you use? Nicely done! Excellent song.
Cheers
Jamie

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 12:37:44 AM »
I didn't like this.

I LOVED IT!  :D :D

Great lead vox ( as expected), quality lyrics - good story.
The vocal break was a nice surprise. Well judged harmonies.
The accordian got out of sync a couple places but maybe that's what accordians do..?

Just what I needed - a good JB song  :D
Paul

Tommy Blixt

• Open Mic
    • https://soundcloud.com/knownasbeppe
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 06:47:35 PM »
Hello!

This sounds really familiar. Like something I heard as a kid or something I heard when I was out drinking one night with my mates. I don't know which one. But I like this. It's got a nice vide to it. I will question your choice to use that melodica though, I think it doesn't really fit in the soundmix. I would use something less sharp, like a harmonica instead!

Great tune!

/Tommy

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 12:05:09 AM »
Yo JB.

I've always loved the Hooters,Satellite was a brilliant song imo.

This encapsulates all the cool moves of that band and yet still sounds like Shane Magowan you.  :D

Love it from the beginning to the end. A salutary lesson in great songwriting.

Made me want to listen to Johnny B again!

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2018, 05:54:12 PM »
Vocally, a bit less like Mr S McGowan actually, this time! There's those joyous Celtic harmonies on top of the strong melodic hooky chorus though. Because of that maybe you should have called on Dublin Karen? Would have suited it.

Overall, there would be no reason that this wouldn't be a very popular tune if it ever broke out. That chorus really does stick.

Nice wistful fade out idea.

Really good song. ;)
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2018, 08:12:34 AM »
Over the years I've watched/listened to you slowly turn Irish ;D ;D ;D
Love your work mate....great song  ;D
Thanks for the kind words @Binladeda , any 'Irishness' I blame on Karen, think she has a bad influence on me  ;D

Hi JB, reminded me a lot of the Pogues, you sound like Shane Mcgowan,but fortunately don't look like him ;) ;D. Liked the drum sound, what do you use? Nicely done! Excellent song.
Thanks @Jamie, think Shane actually got his teeth fixed a while back  :). The drums are Steven Slate Drums, I have others incl EZDrummer 2 but the Slate sounds works best for me. Beats are a combination of JamStix and manual programming.

The accordian got out of sync a couple places but maybe that's what accordians do..?
Thanks for the great feedback @Paulski! Any pointers as to where the according appear to be out of sync?

I will question your choice to use that melodica though, I think it doesn't really fit in the soundmix. I would use something less sharp, like a harmonica instead!
Thanks for taking the time to listen & comment @Tommy Blixt, much appreciated. The melodica is a sampled accordion and whether it fits or not, well, down to taste I guess  :)

I've always loved the Hooters,Satellite was a brilliant song imo.
This encapsulates all the cool moves of that band and yet still sounds like Shane Magowan you.  :D
Thanks Skub. My personal fav would probably be Karla with a K

There's those joyous Celtic harmonies on top of the strong melodic hooky chorus though. Because of that maybe you should have called on Dublin Karen? Would have suited it.
Thanks @MichaelA! Yes, I was tempted to bring in Karen and her whistles on this one but decided not to mainly due to the lyrics being more US (Wal-Mart, Greyhound) and it is also part of a suite together with Fade and 4th Of July that have a US backdrop as well (State Patrool, 4th Of July, Prom etc)

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2018, 02:39:29 AM »
I did not like the first six seconds of the lead-in music.  After that, I loved everything I heard.  Went back to see what I didn't like about the first six seconds, and couldn't pin it down, but I do think the song is better off without it.  Not sure why.
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

Paulnl

• Busker
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2018, 12:47:42 PM »
I'm relaxed.  Something of a nostalgic dream past, with the possibility of a future. 

Mikey

• Solo Gig
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2018, 08:02:37 PM »
This is great, its really catchy and has that cool folky rock vibe, well performed too, another great JB song.

Cheers, Mikey

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2018, 09:48:50 PM »
Yo Jam!!

This is a great catchy number mate! I love the slightly different direction you’ve gone musically. It’s a great pop song, great imagery in the lyrics aswell.

For me though, there were some timing issues in places that poked at my ears a little. (Sorry mate, I know we’re team mates and all that! ;) :D) I’m not 100%, but I think it’s the drums.

The following is where I noticed it....the intro, the fill at 0.37, the break at 1.09, the hits a touch late at 1.20 and at 2.48 one hits a little off.

I hope that’s of some use to you dude!!  ;D

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2018, 01:12:53 AM »
Any pointers as to where the according appear to be out of sync?

In the intro (or is it the drums?) and around 1:52.
Maybe it isn't out of time - it could be just because it swells, it seems that way. Or it could be just me. It's a minor thing anyway - I shouldn't have mentioned it  :D

jacksimmons

• Solo Gig
    • Jack Simmons Music Facebook Page
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2018, 12:17:28 PM »
I really like this! It's a nice catchy pop-folk crossover. Love the Celtic style backing and the rhythm of the chorus. I have been singing it around the house for a while now. Can't say I heard the timing issues, but agree that the intro is lacking something. I'm not sure what, but if it was me I would have just started it with a snare crack and then in to the main full band intro.

The only big nitpick I have is lyrically. At first I thought the narrator was English, but the line "this town was all we knew about" makes me think not. In that case, I'm almost certain they don't have Mars Bars in the US. They call them Milky Ways. That stuck out to me straight away as an inconsistency and it takes away a little from the credibility of the lyrics.

Other than that, I think this piece really shines lyrically and has the perfect mix of nice imagery and storytelling to drive it along.

Yeah, good stuff.
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/jack-simmons-1/albums
Bandcamp: https://jacksimmonsmusic.bandcamp.com/

"When I play a dope melody, anything less than the best is a felony." - Robert Matthew Van Winkle

Movin Flavour

• Platinum Album
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2018, 05:36:06 PM »
Hi great tune.

Love the Irish fusion, has hints of Springsteen too.

Excellent vocals and production.

A good listen.

Sandeep