Without You

• 19 Replies

Sterix

• Platinum Album
  • Devil may care, I do not!
    • Sterix Rocks!
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2018, 01:02:00 AM »
Oh yes, very Hooters!  8)

I have a soft spot for them (One Way Home would probably make it into my top ten albums) and this would fit right in with it.

I'll definitely be listening to this a few times. :D

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2018, 02:56:52 PM »
@hardtwistmusic, thanks for listening  :)

I'm relaxed.  Something of a nostalgic dream past, with the possibility of a future.
@paulnk: not sure I got that but I guess you enjoyed it  :D

@Mikey: thank you for the kind words! :-)

@LostBoy, thanks mate. I'm 110% sure it's not the drums but I'll look into it, could be the tenor or the accordion (as pointed out by @Paulski below). Or maybe just different taste :-)

The only big nitpick I have is lyrically. At first I thought the narrator was English, but the line "this town was all we knew about" makes me think not. In that case, I'm almost certain they don't have Mars Bars in the US. They call them Milky Ways. That stuck out to me straight away as an inconsistency and it takes away a little from the credibility of the lyrics.
Thanks @jacksimmons , the narrator is Swedish but was intended to be US (Wall-Mart, Greyhound etc). Here in Sweden we have both Mars and Milky Way that (to my taste at least) are quite different. Wikipedia says (my bold)

"The worldwide Mars bar differs from that sold in the US.[10] The American version was discontinued in 2002[11] and was replaced with the slightly different Snickers Almond featuring nougat, almonds, and a milk chocolate coating. Unlike the American Mars bar, however, Snickers Almond also contains caramel.[11] The US version of the Mars bar was relaunched in January 2010 and was initially being sold on an exclusive basis through Walmart stores. The European version of the Mars bar is also sold in some United States grocery stores. The US version was once again discontinued at the end of 2011.[citation needed] In September 2017, Ethel M Chocolates, a gourmet chocolate subsidiary of Mars, Inc. launched the 'original American recipe' of the Mars Bar in their stores and on Amazon.com.[12][13]

The international and Canadian Mars bars are very similar to the United States Milky Way bar, which Mars, Inc. also produces (not to be confused with the European version of Milky Way, which is similar to the United States' 3 Musketeers)."

@Movin Flavour: thanks for taking the time to listen and comment, much appreciated

Featherstone

• Busker
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2018, 11:51:03 AM »
Really well produced and polished.

I like your voice

Sterix

• Platinum Album
  • Devil may care, I do not!
    • Sterix Rocks!
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2018, 09:04:45 PM »
Thanks @jacksimmons , the narrator is Swedish but was intended to be US (Wall-Mart, Greyhound etc). Here in Sweden we have both Mars and Milky Way that (to my taste at least) are quite different. Wikipedia says (my bold)

"The worldwide Mars bar differs from that sold in the US.[10] The American version was discontinued in 2002[11] and was replaced with the slightly different Snickers Almond featuring nougat, almonds, and a milk chocolate coating. Unlike the American Mars bar, however, Snickers Almond also contains caramel.[11] The US version of the Mars bar was relaunched in January 2010 and was initially being sold on an exclusive basis through Walmart stores. The European version of the Mars bar is also sold in some United States grocery stores. The US version was once again discontinued at the end of 2011.[citation needed] In September 2017, Ethel M Chocolates, a gourmet chocolate subsidiary of Mars, Inc. launched the 'original American recipe' of the Mars Bar in their stores and on Amazon.com.[12][13]

The international and Canadian Mars bars are very similar to the United States Milky Way bar, which Mars, Inc. also produces (not to be confused with the European version of Milky Way, which is similar to the United States' 3 Musketeers).
Thanks for that! I now seriously fancy a Mars Bar!! Haven't had one for years but I'm feeling the urge to have one - you do know I'm diabetic don't you?!! o_O

Back to the song: I've listened to this over a dozen times now and it sounds more and more Hootersish every time! :D

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2018, 02:45:33 PM »
Hi,

Great, catchy, folky feel-good song. A hint of Deacon Blue to the vocal. Loved the instrumentation and the little unexpected twists to the rhythm.Extremely well crafted piece of music and a very compelling listen.

M