konalavadome

'Don't Try This at Home' ft. Cazrolina

• 12 Replies

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« on: June 13, 2018, 08:08:32 AM »
Here's the completed version of an idea back in November last year, what do tongue twisters sound like in other languages, so here it is. I did post it on here in April but removed it again all sharpish like, as it wasn't how I wanted it.

The people are all real friends or colleagues of mine, Celine (French, Portuguese, German, French), Monika (German), Jan (English), Tuomas (Finnish), Aaron(Texan), Thanatchaya (Thai), Bjorg (Norwegian), Jacek (Polish), Joseph (Korean)

I have no idea what they mean, apart from one of the German ones is something about rattlesnakes...so apologies for the lack of a lyric sheet...

Thanks Caz for grooving the Vocals (Thanks also to Liu Ying, Gina and Pam for your efforts)

Hope you like it, let me know if you have any ideas/improvements/ answers to what they mean.

Thanks

cpm

« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 08:16:15 AM by cowparsleyman »

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 12:24:16 PM »
really enjoyed this journey cps/caz
fine tapestry of influences
but no irish voice samples ?
love the guitars and groove
no fuzz box ? great tone tho
some parts reminded of penguin cafe
felt i was travelling on a train
rythmic chicadas
and then thro the window slips donna summer and moroder  !
caz in fine voice
lovely haunting outro

a lost movie soundtrack
i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 02:55:49 PM »
Wow, thanks Nooms, nice of you to spare the time, I know it's a bit long... 

No fuzzbox...not in this one :( but I'll be dusting that off on a couple of future songs.... I have a feeling that there might have been the Xotic AC plus on it, left hand channel only...that's what I normally use for that tone.

If you have an Irish tongue twister I'll find a spot for it, although space is a bit cramped, I had to leave a Mandarin one out...

Glad you liked the outro, the brief for the Vocalist was to imagine they were standing in the wings, watching Stan Getz's band playing, and they wanted to quietly hum along, and a mic captured that which was meant to be unheard.

I'll checkout Penguin cafe, they might be my cup of seabird/place to eat.

Thanks for the kind words.

cpm

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 03:10:06 PM »
This is really an interesting tapestry of sounds, all woven together quite nicely. It's like taking a trip around the world in 8 minutes. Caz's voice sounds really great and adds an otherworldliness. So the trip goes from hot air balloon to spaceship. Haha. Really fun. I'm listening as I write, love the outro. That is sultry and unexpected. Cool, guys!

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 04:29:50 PM »
Thanks Red,

Really appreciate your comments and your willingness to spend a huge chunk (half a billion light years) for your space/time contiuum to listen to it., hot air balloon to spaceship, well that's a first...

Caz is really very talented, and a joy to work with.

Aye Aye Cap'n - The warp drive cannae take any more.

cpm

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 06:43:55 AM »
Got more into this as it went along. I wasn't sure of the relevance of the mini-covers - but they actually made it quite fun to spot. I used to love all the 12" remixes in the 80s, especially the really way out ones, so this was quite a feast in the end. Good sounds and great vocals too!. Took me back - this could easily have been playing in Our Price while I looked for bargains...

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 08:42:29 AM »
Whato Adam

First, thanks for the listen, you must have felt a bit older after the listen, not because of reminiscing about the '80's, but you actually were after 8+ something mins of mashup...

'Don't Try' didn't start out to have any mini-covers in it, they just 'appeared', I tried a few ideas and these seemed to fit best, and added interest to the main theme of the tongue twisters, Caz's Vox were pretty much first takes, it was very revealing to hear what was going through her mind when she addressed the mic.

I still love the intricate drums on 'Teardrops', I had a drum pattern that sounded similar, so I took a listen to the original and although it sounds constant, it actually changes quite a bit during the intro. so I wanted to build that feel.

These 'Parsley-o-rama' mashups format to me is  like a Shakespeare play, there needs to be a main plot and sub-plots also memorable moments (To be or not to be..) hooks, the main plot being the TT's, the sub plots that emerge and cross were, the mini covers, the guitar fills (needed to be sing-able), and the re emerging drums, and of course Caz's Vocals.

There's hooks from all of these, I found myself singing some of the TT's (not the Polish, not the Thai), one particlular guitar fill, but of course the mini-covers are hooks themselves.

Although I worked on it for months, I still like listening to it.

Our Price, I remember them, love just fingering through the albums, listening to whatever was on the speakers, as you say Adam, looking out for Yellow 'reduced' stickers. Thanks for the memory,

Regards

cpm

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2018, 11:43:45 PM »
Yo CPM and Caz.

What a novel concept for the track,just when you think it's all been done before,along comes this great wandering stream of musical consciousness!

Most will probably balk at the idea of an eight minute plus listen and that's a shame,because this is never less than involving and entertaining.

Love the ending,kinda reminded me of the ballroom in the Shining!

A truly fine collab,well done you two and thanks for sharing.  8)

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2018, 09:01:33 AM »
Thanks very much for the rather long listen Skub,

To be honest the opening solo was inspired by You, I've been looking at the stuff you do and it's clear that you have a passion for guitars like me, it was a solo by the Crusaders on 'Rodeo Drive', I tried to play it many years ago but couldn't quite manage it, it seemed to go better this time.

Anyway, when I create a song/tune, I always want it to be interesting all the time, if it starts sounding predictable then I change something either in the prod or the melody, I suffered too much in Jazz clubs with guitarists and horn players firing superlocrian blanks at me at 100 mph, Thats the idea behind Parsley-o-rama and btw the reason for the break in 'Bees' keep it interesting and engaging.

I've heard some fantastic pieces of music in this forum, to my mind WAY better than most out there, and these inspire me, they are my life blood, keep em coming. Please.

Thanks again

cpm

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2018, 05:47:31 PM »
I'd love to see the video made for this - would be rather chaotic but fun. A smart concept and well compiled patchwork of sounds and voices. It is quite hard to patch random vocal lines into the right spaces, as I know all too well right now, as I am working on a bit of a talkie song myself at the moment. Those words just don't fit sometimes!

I think I would like to have seen this condensed a bit, so the voices come in more frequently. I do really like that crazy cover snippet idea, which really works and adds surprises along the way - plus I love all your cover choices, retro as they are.

The female vocal (Caz?) is really cool, with a great texture to it. Plus the really chilled out ending is delicious! :)
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2018, 08:50:36 PM »
@MichaelA - thanks very much for taking the rather long time to listen, much appreciated, as are your comments.

Please let me know when you've completed your project as it sounds very interesting and very challenging.

From an arrangement perspective, it's very intricate as you rightly say, getting everything in the right place, in it's 'own space' and that it sits well in the overall piece, beginnings and endings of fades of so many tracks, along with choice of beats, was challenging, but I did have a clear view at the beginning as to how I wanted it to sound.

The TT samples mainly came via emails or What'sApp at all different qualities and levels....I recorded them straight from the phone to the DAW track via a condenser mic at very close range, then ran them to a bus with Waves Vocal Rider over the lot to ensure the levels were constant.

Glad you liked the cover choices, I left it to Caz to come up with what she felt for the Vox lines, I really dig the Blue Monday vibe, that was a pleasant surprise.

One comment I have had a couple of times was do the TT's sound difficult to say to our ear? I would say yip, Thanachaya's Thai at the end is kind of like a traditional instrument solo, I pulled a lot back in the mix to give it some space, and gave her centre stage.

The ending was intended to be like a warm down, a way to catch ones breath after a lot of nonsense, glad it worked for you Michael or is it Michaela? you see it could be both?

anyway I have asked the contributors a few times about what they were saying, only Tuomas came back about the ko ko ko ko etc, something about on open fire...and a person called Koko..

Hope this sheds some light into it.

Regards

cpm

Movin Flavour

• Platinum Album
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2018, 05:53:27 PM »
Great tune/ mix.

Love how you have mixed the songs and lyrics together.

It's like I'm travelling back to my past.

A great listen.

Sandeep

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2018, 06:04:45 PM »
Great tune/ mix.

Love how you have mixed the songs and lyrics together.

It's like I'm travelling back to my past.

A great listen.

Sandeep
@Movin Flavour - Thanks very much for the time you took to give my tune a listen, very kind. Glad you liked it, kind of different...

these comments are always another shot of motivation.

regards

cpm