konalavadome

Holy Crap I'm Signed up to Open Mic Tomorrow!

• 11 Replies

ScottLevi

• Platinum Album
  • Keep on Trucking
« on: June 06, 2018, 08:37:49 PM »
Hey'all.

There's a kind of charity based in Digbeth (Birmingham) - just around the corner from where I work - who try to promote local artist and creatives in the community.

This time last month I stumbled across them starting a monthly open mic night and decided to tag along to see what it was all about. Some really good people there and the environment was so friendly - not a pub, just a kind of function room with ~20 seats.

As it happens they were struggling for performers being the first one, and chatting friendly with the organisers I decided to 'break the seal' by dropping a little acapella rap. It felt great to conquer that hurdle but flowing along I fell into some slightly aggressive, older material without completely realising. The organiser I was friendly with after remarked "that was a bit aggressive" (in addition to the obligatory niceties).

Anyway, that was my first experience of an Open Mic, and though glad I (kind of) broke that initial barrier - I feel more nervous now that I did the first time. Maybe it's because this time I'm planning on participating rather than just showing up, or that I'm using the guitar and trying to sing-ish rather than 'rapping', maybe it's because there's preconceptions about my material now, or maybe it's because after receiving acceptance to perform, half hour later I got"be aware that we do not allow swearing or wild behaviour at our event" (is that targeted or standard? :o).

So anyway thought I'd share this. I know there's a least a few people on here (with vastly more talent) who struggle with confidence as I do, and despite making a bit of a fool of myself, I'm going to try really hard not to chicken out tomorrow.

I've got three songs, Playing Games (which has been on here previously), Face of Sulk (Lyrics have passed through here) and my newest unnamed effort, which (from evidence of recording) take about 6/7 minutes back to back.

I bet it's a lot scarier doing a pub, don't feel anywhere near that yet - so it's great to have this 'Creative Project' to give the platform. Maybe for anyone out there with a similar stage-fright should look into creative projects like this - if there are any near you. Or if you're around Birmingham hit me up and we can go to one together, for some moral support xD

If anyone is particularly interested I have an unlisted video with my proposed set here - even doing a little roleplay against an unplugged microphone stand ;D

Anyone else just starting out trying to perform?

All the best,
Scott.

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 09:03:44 PM »
I think of myself as just starting out. Although, I have performed several times, probably many times, in my life, but nothing consistent or regular. Well, not long-term, anyway. I did a monthly gig with another woman for several months, maybe a year, back in the 1980s. When I was doing that, I got used to it so I didn't get stage fright. But when I'm just doing one performance at a time, I usually get stage fright. It isn't as bad as it used to be, though.

In college, when I had to perform for my classes, I would get nearly immobilized by stage fright. I only performed for classes when it was required. Informal performing, though, I enjoyed and did just for fun.

Now that I'm retired, I want to make music my career. That would be writing music and performing music. So I'm taking guitar lessons, and I'm practicing my singing. And I'm trying to figure out how to make what I do interesting so that people will want to come and hear it. So I guess I need an act. I could use a script writer.  ;D
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 09:05:40 PM by CaliaMoko »

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 09:19:23 PM »
Hi Scott

Great advice from Vicki...she’s such a sweetheart!

I just watched your video all the way through...thought it was very cool...bucketloads of attitude that many accomplished performers and karaoke kings can’t get anywhere near. I love the beard and the sharp suit too...looks great and means business.

On the subject of starting over...I start over again every time I play anywhere. Every night is a different pub with different people in different moods...even if they appear to be the same people in the same place in the same mood...they might not be. I never really get used to it...I get blasé about it, having done it a million times...but there’s always a job to be done on whoever happens to be there...even if it’s only for the sake of my own self-respect. As soon as I play the first chord...it’s game on.

The thing is with you...you’ve got something unique. I know we all have, in a round-a-bout sort of way, but I mean something really different that makes you who you are...and nobody else can do what you do. There are loads of great singers and great guitarists and what-have-you but I don’t give a fuck about watching them because I’ve seen it all before...because the world and his god-awful wife are knocking out stuff that they’re very good at, despite the fact that they should really be at home with their thumbs up their asses, doing us all a favour

Yes, I’m bitter and a miserable bastard, etc...but just believe in what you do. I believe in you. And I’m not a mug, I might be mistaken and screw up on a frequent basis...but I’ve paid my dues as much as anyone...and screwing up while doing what you believe in is one of the noblest things you can do anyway.

On a more mundane point..try to stick close to the mic. Imagine it’s Elizabeth Hurley’s mouth, if you like...but that’s where you need to be. If they can’t hear you properly, you lose 80% of what you’re doing. And that’d be a missed opportunity.

I wish you the best of luck...you can do it, no bother...you just have to believe in yourself...and fuck anybody else who isn’t into it.

I hope you smash it. Let us know how you get on. And even if you don’t smash it this time...who’s to say you won’t smash it next time?

heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 09:47:00 PM »
Hey Scott,

I just watched it. You're gonna be awesome! Once you start playing, you totally relax, and play confidently and sound great. They're gonna love you! You have heart.

I haven't been brave enough to do it myself. Maybe some day, but I kinda doubt it, unless you tell me it was so freaking awesome I have to do it. So let me know how it goes.

Lynn

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2018, 10:35:21 PM »
Brilliant Scott. Go for it as you are are a huge talent. Digbeth is a great area. Used to hop on the 159 bus to go to gigs at Digbeth civic Hall. Saw some great punk gigs there (Chelsea, The Photos) Later used to go to Barberellas and played a gig there with Joboxers. The Barrel Organ was a top venue then as well and played there on a Monday night to an audience of about 20. Saw Duran Duran there in their early days and Fashion as well. Check them out man. Top Brum funk / punk

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2018, 12:20:50 AM »
@redrhodie : Lynn, regarding whether to perform or not....I will use one of my past experiences in a musical to explain it. It was The Sound of Music. Rehearsals gradually got more intense as we got closer to performances and my stress level went up and up. I started whining to myself: "Why did I ever agree to do this???"

Then, opening night. When I went onstage and started singing...what a rush! And I said to myself, "Oh yeah, NOW I remember why I do this!" I didn't even have a major part. It was still a rush.

Before going on, I am backstage pacing all over, acting goofy, working off nerves. Until I get out there on stage, I am absolutely certain I will never do it again. But, of course, I will.

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2018, 06:09:55 AM »
I still haven’t done mine that I promised to do this year and I know it will be terrifying. But I do believe you have such a memorable and engaging style you will really go down well. Ok if swearing’s not welcome then you need to be sensitive to that but you really transmit some emotion and that’s what most lack... and the only way to learn is by doing I think!

ScottLevi

• Platinum Album
  • Keep on Trucking
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2018, 10:10:40 PM »
Hey all,

Thank you so-so much for sharing your experiences and being so positive! When I got into work this morning I'd all but chicken'd out, but after reading these replies felt empowered!

It was a weird one, there were less people than last time; about 10 maybe - and just 4 performers including myself. All really nice people and though I wouldn't consider myself the most outwardly social, I've had really nice friendly chats with new people both times. Guess that's what happens when you're around like-minded people, and it's worth going just for that.

The setup is quite low-tech and the mic didn't quite reach my height of 6ft, so it was a bit on-and-off at picking up my vocal. Also forgot to use a pic for one of them which was terribly distracting and hurt my clammy thumb.

As there were only a few performers it as staggered to mix it up a little; I did two of the tracks separately (Face of Sulk and Playing Games) both of which received a good reception even with plenty of mistakes and a missed verse here or there (nobody ran away or boo'd)! One of the organisers even told me I should start putting stuff on SoundCloud.

For people like @redrhodie who still aren't sure, I'd just go to a small one and check it out. That was my plan, and half way in I was so eager to get up there myself I ended muscling my way up and making a fool of myself - but still enjoyed every moment. You may feel the same, or it may wash over you, but it will definitely help you realise if it's the sort of thing you want to try. If you definitely want to try but just don't think you've the nerve, @CaliaMoko hit the nail - once you manage to crawl onto the stage it feels amazing. (Best of luck on your new ventured by the way, from what seen on the forum (applying for grants, forging your own community, great music) you are well on the way.

@pompeyjazz That's amazing, I forget you're local, you'll have to let us know if you're gigging in Brum I'll love to see it! Digbeth is a great area for 'creatives' - so much going on, just got to have that confidence to jump in.

Sterling advice too @PaulAds - definitely messed up on the mic with all the fluctuation but luckily it's a forgiving audience in quite a small acoustic-friendly room (Build under the arches of the railway track). Was odd to find myself staring at my chord hand too, I know these tracks like the back of my hand so there's no excuse - and terrible stage presence!

Another boost to confidence anyway - it's one thing getting good feedback on videos here to gain the confidence to cross that barrier, but it's almost a different type of confidence being in-front of people that needs to be conquered in parallel. Been invited back next month and if that goes well, on to the cafes and pubs!

And come on @adamfarr - everything you've said about my style (thanks btw) applies to you just as much - always excited to hear what you come up with so please do!

Thanks again,
Scott.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 10:12:41 PM by ScottLevi »

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2018, 10:14:33 PM »
Great stuff, Scott...well done!

I’m so pleased to hear it went well. You’re on your way  :)
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2018, 01:50:59 PM »
That sounds perfect, Scott, exactly the right amount of people for a first gig. It sounds like you had a good time and it went really well!

Really cool they've asked you back. I hope there are just a few more people next time so you can work your way up to stadiums incrementally.

You should try to get Darren to join you some time. That man needs a little kick in the pants. Haha. Plus you guys sound great together.

Lynn

Darren1664

• Platinum Album
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2018, 10:43:43 PM »
To Scott

Man you know I like your style!!

And you know I think you rock!

This is just me saying I think you're amazballs and will rock any venue you play at!

So pleased for you mate and hope to follow in your footsteps!

I love you buddy

Darren

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2018, 11:07:44 AM »
Well done Scott!

The first performances are always tough, strange and weird etc.
I've found there's no way around it and the beginning is hard.
Open mics can be very tough and you will stumble.
If it's possible I say just plough through it, try to enjoy it.
You're seriously talented and the experiences youll gather will be invaluable.

All the best.

Ps. I've a good friend living in Birmingham called daniel brown.
He's also known as the cosmic boxer, he's got plenty of experience as a singersonger.
Maybe you know him too.
He's following me on soundcloud. Check him out. 

Congratulations. 
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly