konalavadome

Listen to the mix in Mono

• 8 Replies

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« on: June 05, 2018, 01:46:03 PM »
Just wanted to share this, I always listen to my mixes in mono in my DAW as I go, it gives another dimension, and is brilliant for checking to see what cuts through.

I think most DAWs have a MONO button near the Master fader.

Hope this helps

cpm

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 10:32:36 PM »
I completely agree with and endorse this approach

A similar school of thought (which I also subscribe to) is to do the panning LAST

Get the mix separated and clear using EQ BEFORE using panning to add more separation
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 09:09:19 AM »
Cheers Boydie, nice to know.

cpm

Jzr171

• Busker
    • My Music
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 12:34:40 AM »
This is how it was done back in the day. I think it takes great talent to make a good mono mix.  I have used stereo as a crutch too many times to fix a mix. I'll have to try to mix my next record in mono. Which will be fitting since its supposed to have that "the way things used to be" theme.
Let music bring us all together.

https://soundcloud.com/thenamelessvb

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 11:28:26 AM »
You're right it's much more difficult to get a great Mono mix...I'll keep an ear open for it.

Way to go

cpm

Cawproductions

• Platinum Album
  • Producer, Engineer & Songwriter
    • AtticVibes Music Library
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2018, 08:12:55 PM »
Hi Guys

Just to throw a curve ball.
I tend to record and mix as I go in stereo, making low EQ cuts and any corrective EQ as the track develops.
Then. Once all parts are in, I go for levels, adjusting any eq corrections and addressing any separation issues.
As I go along the mix process I check in mono just to see if I lose anything. Important when double tracking instruments and vocals also any phase issues will show up.

I have watched so many videos about this debate and had to go with a workflow that worked for me...prob not right or wrong.

ps, I have found that its best to get the vocals in last so the vocalist (usually me) can give it welly to a near mixed track, hopefully bringing out the best performance. Lol

Andy - Just my way....Not THE way

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2018, 08:33:09 AM »
That's interesting Andy, I suppose there is no right way.

As long as it sounds great why worry, and that the process is repeatable and comfy then just keep doing it that way...

regards

cpm

Cawproductions

• Platinum Album
  • Producer, Engineer & Songwriter
    • AtticVibes Music Library
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2018, 05:28:07 PM »
Hi Cpm.

I have literally watched hundreds of videos on my path to finally getting a mix thats streams, holds up volume wise to commercial tracks and sounds great on numerous platforms and stereos..Still learning

One thing I think I took away from it all is that many people have different methods. But, They all know how and what each plug or hardware unit actually does and how it can be used, then just applies that knowledge to there own projects.

I have far less plugins now than when I started..sometimes better to have less but know how to use it all.
Note: I am no pro and still learning all the time.

happy mixing
Cheers.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2018, 12:33:25 PM »
@Cawproductions - Thanks for this, I would be interested in which plugs you recommend and use for different situations, I have my own favourites, so just kinda interested really, I think this is best started as a new topic...

Regards

cpm