what is your DAW

• 29 Replies

ScottLevi

• Platinum Album
  • Keep on Trucking
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2017, 09:59:39 PM »
Audacity does the trick for me, free, simple to use and for a beginner has the basics so is a free chance to get to grips with EQ, high and low pass filters, reverb and more I'm yet to attempt.

Viva La Stereo

• Open Mic
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2017, 04:55:39 PM »
I use Reason, and there's pretty much no real reason that I use Reason other than the fact I liked the way Reason rolled of the tongue and I thought their interface looked nice.

How much wood would a woodchuck....

Cawproductions

• Platinum Album
  • Producer, Engineer & Songwriter
    • AtticVibes Music Library
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2017, 07:18:27 PM »
Hi all,

Cubase pro, currently 8.5, been using it for years since the day of SX.

Went logic pro X for a bit but went back to the old faithful. (maybe if I stuck at it) but old habits die hard

Andy

Johnnyuk

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2018, 06:48:08 PM »
Hi,
I've used Propellerhead's Reason ever since it came out. We are at version 9.5 now which i have and version 10 was released recently which i might upgrade too later on. For me it allows me to do everything and then some. It is pretty comprehensive.
It now has VST support and they work great too! It's a solid piece of software and i would reccommend it to anyone.
Johnny :)

Take a look at it here...

« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 06:50:47 PM by Johnnyuk »

Cawproductions

• Platinum Album
  • Producer, Engineer & Songwriter
    • AtticVibes Music Library
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2018, 07:33:50 PM »
Hi,
I've used Propellerhead's Reason ever since it came out. We are at version 9.5 now which i have and version 10 was released recently which i might upgrade too later on. For me it allows me to do everything and then some. It is pretty comprehensive.
It now has VST support and they work great too! It's a solid piece of software and i would reccommend it to anyone.

Hi JohnnyUK.
I used to love reason but they took a long time to catch up with the other DAWs, ie, VST support.
Reason 5 rewired to Cubase,Opened up a lot of sounds. great combo.

But I agree, the latest versions are there with the big guns,

You cant beat the old classic, Rebirth, spent hrs twiddling the buttons on that.

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2018, 09:43:14 PM »
Used to use Cubase but switched to Reaper and haven't looked back.
I also use WaveLab for restoration and mastering

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2018, 08:25:12 AM »
I'm a Magix Samplitude Pro X3 Suite user, it's really not easy to use but has a load of features and the same engine from the Broadcast quality DAW called Sequoia. I'm only using about 20% of what it can do, but that's cool as I know it should do it if i need to in future.

I don't know anything about any other DAW, so I can't comment on them. I like the way one can wave edit an object in SoundForge directly from the DAW.

Made in Germany so it's well thought through, albeit the manual is pretty hard to understand, and absolutely humungous (3 big Ring binder folders), There's a guy on YouTube called Kraznet, who has done loads of helpful videos, so I learned a lot from him.

Nice mastering setup too.

Would recommend a load of RAM and a big SSD

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2018, 05:16:00 PM »
It depends on what I'm doing. If I'm just recording a vocal track to send out for production and mixing, I use Audacity. Not really a true DAW, but I find it perfect for laying unaltered vocal tracks.

If I'm going to do any kind of "messing around" with my tracks, though, I use Reaper. I can cut out bits wherever I want and everything stays where it belongs (in Audacity it always jumps back to close the gap...weird). And I can apply any kind of effects and save it and reload it later and take them off if I want (Audacity hides them somehow and makes them part of the track so I can't figure out how to separate them back out).

Johnnyuk

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2018, 09:14:19 PM »
Hi,
The bottom line here is NOT what DAW we use. They all work great!
It's all about the initial song idea and how we develop that idea and then go on to present it in audio form for the listener too digest. To me it is all about how we present our musical ideas in song form to help those listening make that connection to our song etc..

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2018, 10:57:11 PM »
Logic Pro X for me. It really makes it very easy to start something and turn it into something professional very quickly.
Got a lot of time for GarageBand as well.

Used to use Cubans a long time ago but much happier with Logic.

All DAWs feel like foreign country when you first try them tho  :)

Lophophora

• Busker
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2018, 03:50:34 AM »
I use Reaper because it seemed to be the cheapest of the pro DAWs. I have been using it since I record and mix music and am liking it even more as time goes by. It is ridiculously powerful for its price, the Reaper community is huge and very responsive. I am regularly visiting pro studios and see other works on ProTools, Cubase etc. but I have yet to find something I can't do with Reaper.

IMO all well-known DAWs are good. It doesn't really matter what you choose, what matters is that you take some time to learn its features, shortcuts and particularities so you can be efficient at what you're doing.

Davino

• Busker
  • I write poetry and song lyrics
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2018, 02:20:29 AM »
Hi,
The bottom line here is NOT what DAW we use. They all work great!
It's all about the initial song idea and how we develop that idea and then go on to present it in audio form for the listener too digest. To me it is all about how we present our musical ideas in song form to help those listening make that connection to our song etc..

Reaper it is, then!!! Do you have any recommendations for a microphone?

Bandana

• Busker
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2018, 09:10:31 AM »
An old version of Garageband - 6.0.5. Works for me!

dasntn

• Open Mic
  • Nex't'Nothin - my main gig
    • Nex't'Nothin
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2018, 11:16:12 AM »
I use Cubase - currently  Artist 8.5

Mainly, it's because I'm used to how it works, not because it's better than other ones.  I've been using Steinberg stuff since before there was a Cubase (anyone else remember Pro24?) - and they have had far too much money from me over the years  >:( but I am familiar with it, so it works for me.

I've used Reaper, and that's good too and much cheaper. Nearly gave up on Cubase last time I had to upgrade, but in the end I wanted something I knew and so could use to quickly capture new ideas, and not have to think too much about the software.

I think most of not all of them are very good these days - just need to find the one that works the way you do!

Dave

Veance

• Busker
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2018, 01:35:03 PM »
I use a line 6 audio interface with Ableton live suite which has lots of interesting features and plugins to  keep me busy for a lifetime untill i will master them :)
nil volentibus arduum