recording using garageband?

• 6 Replies

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« on: July 03, 2018, 04:09:47 PM »
Hi,
I'm away from home so I though I'd try garageband and I wondered what others thought of it? My observation are:
1. why two versions for IOS and Mac's? I've more memory my MacBook but the smart instruments are powerful on IOS so I used that instead
2. Its actually a powerful DAW and can produce decent recordings, even with my iPhone mic - I'd left my iRig oe at home...
3. only issues i had were really learning curve around regions and midi editing which is slightly fiddly, especially to move notes up and down
4. some of the smart instruments are pretty good, eg string and drums
5. didn't seem to support any mastering but would clearly export to Soundcloud and sounded fine.

I'm mean is a free app - what do others think?

:)
neil

songwriter of no repute..

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2018, 05:04:32 PM »
I've never used it, but a mate of mine gets amazing results with it. Personally if I had an iPad, I'd definitely use it for tracking/ composing/ arranging on the move, but probably export the projects to Logic when I was at my computer for editing/ mixing.

But maybe it's better than I realise? Will be interesting to see what others think.
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2018, 05:35:29 PM »
All my output so far is with Garageband on the IOS. ive been using an older version as i have a 2011 Ipad But even with outdated specs, its great for an amateur like me. I have had difficulties exporting files (although none directly to Soundvloud)  and its frustratingly hard to synch to Mac or I Tunes. (again might be my outdated OS)
im buying a new Ipad in the next day or teo and i cant wait to get bavk into the latest version of Garageband. The built in instrument libraries are impressive. In my opinion the best features are the excellent range and diversity of the live drummers. Logan is my default drummer and its the best AI ive ever come across. Very clever tech there.
It does take some time to learn the ropes, but once you get going you shoild find it an enjoyable experience. i cant comment on its higher level mastering capabilities. it does have some functionality here but if you are aspiring for a professional studio set up it might fall short. Perfect for most levels of amateur though

Veance

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2018, 08:00:41 AM »
I'm not to happy with the newest version of garageband.
In the old one I could record drums that I played on garageband. Now you have to select a virtual drummer and they are all samples.
I don't think you can play and record drums using a keyboard by yourself anymore.
Also I wanted to use one of those chinese string thingies but usability is limited. You can't bend strings, it seems. Or I'm a noob... :)
nil volentibus arduum

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2018, 05:46:52 PM »
Hey @Veance , have you tried selecting 'Drums', not 'Drummers'? The second one is pre-programmed virtual drummers, but 'drums' still brings up various kits that you can play by finger tapping. Unless you have got a completely different version to me.
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

Veance

• Busker
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2018, 07:54:06 PM »
Hmm, I'll try that out in the morning. Thanks. Can't miss our great red devils against mighty Brazil. 0-2 already. Who would have thought. Hope it lasts.
nil volentibus arduum

Bandana

• Busker
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2018, 09:08:42 AM »
As a solo artist I've recorded three albums using Garageband. I use drum loops from ©DrumsOnDemand (I purchase Apple loops then install them in GB) and edit them in GB. I play all guitars and sing all vocals using my FOCUSRITE SCARLETT SOLO as an interface between the instrument and the DAW. Keyboards go straight in via USB and the results are really amazing. Once exported I pass them through iZOTOPE OZONE 6 for mastering which adds the "fairy dust" to the finished product. Oh! I'm using quite an old version of GB too (6.0.5) as am comfortable with it and can get results quickly.