the FUZZ BOX

• 1 Replies

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« on: June 11, 2018, 05:09:46 PM »
interesting snippet..
https://www.npr.org/2018/06/10/618284484/remembering-the-engineer-who-created-rocks-unmistakable-fuzz

gave birth to all manner of amazing and whacky fx pedals
have you still got yours ?
i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 08:18:17 PM »
Nooms, you have hit a nerve here, ever since I was a young stripling, I wanted the sound that my mate got from his Gibson 1962 SG special (with noisey-as-hell p90's), he used a Roland BeeGee Af60, it is sounded beautiful, and for many years I tried to get that sound, I even bought the guitar from him, and searched for the fuzz box, I eventually found one in a music shop, a few years later,  going for about a shilling, but a young beginner and his mum had spotted it, I hovered behind them pointing out the many wnderful attributes of other more flashy stomp boxes, but alas they bought it, my heart sank, I looked out for others over the years, until last year I bought a proper clone from the US, even got stung for the customs...but yes I now have THAT sound, and boy, is it lovely, just wish I could play like my mate.

I tend to use particular stomp boxes for different guitars, and as a result I have a pedalboard just for stomp boxes...
Vox Tonelabs SE is pretty flexible but needs a lot of time programming, and too complex for live work (I used this on She Shook Me Cold rhythm tracks), also Xotic AC plus,Af60 clone,Xotic BB plus, Joyo California, and a Joyo metal (can't remember what it's called but it's pretty good)

Joyo's come under a lot of stick, but in my view, they are really excellent value for money, lots of guitarists ask me what pedals I use, and they are very often surprised...QED. (I do try and pay careful attention to pickups too)

I have used a load of others of varying price and brand, but these suit me, my axes and my playing style.

Hope this helps...now where is that SG....

cpm