konalavadome

Band names

• 17 Replies

katiewilson1

« on: May 31, 2018, 08:50:20 AM »
If you had a band what would you call it - this Is a follow on from one of my posts

When I was 14- a group of about 7 of us decried to form a band - none of us could sing or play an instrument - and it just ended in Gregory Tredwells bedroom having pillow fights and chasing each other with pool cues - thus nothing came of the "Macaroni Charges "

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 09:08:31 AM »
My band - Six Nowt is still going after 14 years or so...though I had a year off a while back

In northern-speak, “giving it Six Nowt” means applying maximum effort. Excuse the ropey camcorder-quality sound. And the ropey performances. We got stage invaded towards the end by a guest singer too...which happens regularly...and my brother chipped in with his trumpet near the end, as he lives just along the street from that venue...
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 09:39:15 AM »
A great artist name I heard last night playing a duet with Vicki Goddard was Helen McCookerybook

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 09:54:28 AM »
I remember many arguments about band names, it didn't seem to matter about the music, but the name, so important, and then like owning a car, the novelty wore off and another better name comes along.

Funnily enough I rather like no name at all, just play, let the music talk, I know this isn't right or commercially practical, I once played a gig following a band called Nightshade, when we played I decided to call our band 'Lampshade' and we did a jazz version of one of their numbers...

Were I to choose a band name it would be a single word, short snappy, looks good on posters, better for artistic potential, easy to say, costs less on banners etc. The best ones have a multiple meanings which can be used for marketing purposes,

POLICE
U2
BUZZCOCKS

are great examples

'Mahavishnu Air Orchestra' isn't, with a catchy song title of "What need of I for this, what need of I for that, I am dancing at the feet of my lord, all is bliss, all is bliss"

cpm

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 11:54:34 AM »
Take two unrelated words and make a new one (Cold+Play, Arctic+Monkeys etc.). You are also then sure that the domain name will be available.

Random translations can also work. My band, LuteHill (total members, 1, total performances, 0) is named after a place near where I live (El Cerro del Laud).
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 01:57:51 PM by adamfarr »

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 01:01:58 PM »
I would call it: Hop On Pop

But, if I had another band, I would call it:
Total Meat Distribution

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2018, 01:05:22 PM »
I would call it: Hop On Pop

But, if I had another band, I would call it:
Total Meat Distribution

Not the hinkle horn honking club, not in the dark, not in the park?

Rgds

Dr Seuss

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2018, 04:00:10 PM »
I agonize over that type of thing. I had a vocal quartet for a few years not too long ago. We were Half Past Twelve simply because we had made lists and lists of possible names and that was the first one mentioned about which no one responded with "Meh". Or worse.

I currently have a project I wanted to call Late Bloomers but the domain name was taken so I made it Late Bloomers Rock. That works well, anyway, as I like the idea of us late bloomers rocking away.

Sterix

• Platinum Album
  • Devil may care, I do not!
    • Sterix Rocks!
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2018, 07:10:14 PM »
Sensitive nature? Don't highlight the second one cos there's a naughty word in there... I actually wrote albums under these monikers back in

Rebellion FX
Bitchkrieg (from the German, Blitzkrieg). Although it lends itself more to an all-female thrash metal lineup. :P

I'm surprised no one has gone for Bandy McBandface yet!  ;D

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2018, 08:32:18 PM »
The best band name that came up when brainstorming names came from a very drunk bass player, who out of nowhere came up with "The Taliband", which I though was genius

We were not brave enough to use it but it gave us a good laugh
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2018, 08:47:50 PM »
"The Taliband"

Doesn't @Binladeda play for them?!

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2018, 10:23:58 PM »
You may jest @adamfarr  but if you have ever worked with the oh so lovely and cuddly @Binladeda you would know the score  ;D ;D

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2018, 02:14:47 AM »
Poop Jones & The Dingleberries

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2018, 08:29:42 AM »
I nearly formed a Beatles tribute band once which was going to be called the "Dung Beetles" and the idea was to reinvent Beatles songs with toilet humour.

We got as far as the following concept songs:
Paperback Wiper
Baby you can wipe my Arse
Eleanor Ringpiece.

katiewilson1

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2018, 09:11:48 AM »
A few more to add to the set list

Help (the doors stuck )
all things must pass
here comes the turd
I wanna hold you hand ( after I've washed them )
Long tall Sally - long thin turd
Please , please wee
Roll over number two
Shakin in the urinal
Slow down (it's going everywhere )
twist and push
(Yesterday )all my troubles seemed so  far away now I'm constipated