Secret Mover

• 30 Replies

Cazrolina

• Open Mic
    • Instagram:
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2018, 11:06:57 PM »
Hiya Jack,
I love the 80's. And I love it when I see that you've posted on here. Every song is always so accomplished, so different and interesting and with a fine melody. This is definitely no exception. Yet another fab listen. C x
Caz
AlphaLine

Debut EP ‘Polarity’ out now.
Listen here: https://www.alphalineband.com/press-1/polarity-out-now

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2018, 12:18:40 PM »
I love it mate! Anything 80’s is always right up my street!! Excellent production! Great track!

Cawproductions

• Platinum Album
  • Producer, Engineer & Songwriter
    • AtticVibes Music Library
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2018, 09:13:27 PM »
Hi Jack,

I am a bit late to this,
Move over pet shop boys, there's a new kid in town.
Full 80's Vibe. great work dude.
Andy

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2018, 09:37:35 AM »
Jack I love your work, this is another Simmons classic, thanks.

I listened on tracking cans' which tend to be a little bass heavy...

I felt the LVox could have benefitted from doubling att 'You had the time of your life' line, just to pull it out a bit ,I found there were patches on exposed LVox, that is it was beginning to sound like it needed something different going on, I could hear you did it later in the song, with additinal syth motifs.

Anyways, just a little thing Jack, and assomeone else said, Pets Shop vs OMD, in fact it just struck me that a plucked Jazz bass might work on here? just a thought..

Hope this helps, and as another said, please stick around.

cpm

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2018, 10:21:47 AM »
Great 80's vibe to this, great vocals, spot on production, loads to like but I do have 2 comments to make and I guess they are somewhat related.  First thing: to me the chorus is not distinct enough for my taste, I've listened several times but never got that ah-and-here-comes-the-chorus feeling, something I think is crucial for this style. Erasure and Pet Shop Boy set the bar pretty high in that department. I can't really tell is it is an arrangement thins (i.e. the chorus being to similar to the rest instrumentation wise etc.) or if it is a matter of the chord progression/melody in the chorus being to close to the verse to make it stand out.
The other thing would be a little lack of variation/dynamics, I just found it a bit repetitive, as an example, loosing that arp synth for some part would be a nice change. Just my personal prefs of course  :)

Movin Flavour

• Platinum Album
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2018, 04:15:23 PM »
Great song Jack,

Definitely hints of Erasure.....even Sparks from the 70s.

Excellent  lyrics too...like the topic too.

A good Listen,

Sandeep

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2018, 06:04:31 PM »
Always love your complex arrangements Jack. You've got a knack at knocking out a great pop tune. This has a real 80's feel to it. Great vocals as ever. Top stuff

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2018, 06:39:36 PM »
Great sound Jack...super synthy stuff....vocals great.

I'm a bit in the JamBrains camp though as far as the song goes.....waiting for it to kick off. Have to confess to not being a big 80s fan or PSB fan for example but they had big hooks which I was missing here.....wonder if you've made the mistake of putting too much emphasis on getting a good lyric when you know that nobody really cares about that in pop music...they want just those few memorable hook phrases...secret mover...to be BIG.

I might be talking out of my arse though.
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2018, 03:02:29 PM »
Hi, your stuff is always accomplished but I think this is the best thing I've heard from you. Great 80's sounding synths and the vocals in parts sound like Mr Bowie on his Blackstar album, which is a compliment. Very good indeed!
Cheers
Jamie

jacksimmons

• Solo Gig
    • Jack Simmons Music Facebook Page
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2018, 01:38:56 PM »
Jack I love your work, this is another Simmons classic, thanks.

I listened on tracking cans' which tend to be a little bass heavy...

I felt the LVox could have benefitted from doubling att 'You had the time of your life' line, just to pull it out a bit ,I found there were patches on exposed LVox, that is it was beginning to sound like it needed something different going on, I could hear you did it later in the song, with additinal syth motifs.

Anyways, just a little thing Jack, and assomeone else said, Pets Shop vs OMD, in fact it just struck me that a plucked Jazz bass might work on here? just a thought..

Cheers for the advice! You're definitely right about the falsetto parts in the chorus, I will look to track those bits further. The whole lead vocal is actually triple tracked believe it or not, with the other two very compressed and EQd and set far left and right so that the words ar ea bit crisper in the busy mix. I will track the other part more central though to give it that actual thicker sound.

I'm not sure I would know where to start with a plucked jazz bass but I could give it a go! Thanks :)

Great 80's vibe to this, great vocals, spot on production, loads to like but I do have 2 comments to make and I guess they are somewhat related.  First thing: to me the chorus is not distinct enough for my taste, I've listened several times but never got that ah-and-here-comes-the-chorus feeling, something I think is crucial for this style. Erasure and Pet Shop Boy set the bar pretty high in that department. I can't really tell is it is an arrangement thins (i.e. the chorus being to similar to the rest instrumentation wise etc.) or if it is a matter of the chord progression/melody in the chorus being to close to the verse to make it stand out.
The other thing would be a little lack of variation/dynamics, I just found it a bit repetitive, as an example, loosing that arp synth for some part would be a nice change. Just my personal prefs of course  :)

Great sound Jack...super synthy stuff....vocals great.

I'm a bit in the JamBrains camp though as far as the song goes.....waiting for it to kick off. Have to confess to not being a big 80s fan or PSB fan for example but they had big hooks which I was missing here.....wonder if you've made the mistake of putting too much emphasis on getting a good lyric when you know that nobody really cares about that in pop music...they want just those few memorable hook phrases...secret mover...to be BIG.

Thanks for the advice, and I knew it would be divisive, but it was a conscious decision to keep the chorus part and the verses largely indistinguishable apart from the vocal melody/chords. I actually wrote the melody a while before the lyrics, which is always my process, and I liked the way that the "you were a mover/you were a secret mover" was more of a variation on the less moving verse melody than a proper chorus. I find that I like that about 70s/80s krautrock. You're totally right about people wanting a big chorus, but I don't think that melody really lends itself to a big chorus, personally.

Thank you for your comments guys, really appreciate it.

I love the 80's. And I love it when I see that you've posted on here. Every song is always so accomplished, so different and interesting and with a fine melody. This is definitely no exception. Yet another fab listen. C x

I love it mate! Anything 80’s is always right up my street!! Excellent production! Great track!

I am a bit late to this,
Move over pet shop boys, there's a new kid in town.
Full 80's Vibe. great work dude.

Always love your complex arrangements Jack. You've got a knack at knocking out a great pop tune. This has a real 80's feel to it. Great vocals as ever. Top stuff

Great song Jack,
Definitely hints of Erasure.....even Sparks from the 70s.
Excellent  lyrics too...like the topic too.
A good Listen,

Hi, your stuff is always accomplished but I think this is the best thing I've heard from you. Great 80's sounding synths and the vocals in parts sound like Mr Bowie on his Blackstar album, which is a compliment. Very good indeed!

Thanks guys! Great to hear you all liked it. Really appreciate you listening <3

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/jack-simmons-1/albums
Bandcamp: https://jacksimmonsmusic.bandcamp.com/

"When I play a dope melody, anything less than the best is a felony." - Robert Matthew Van Winkle

Jzr171

• Busker
    • My Music
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2018, 05:23:44 PM »
Really love the 80s sound.  Feels perfect for this song. I'm just picturing 80's music videos with people in glittery jump suits and fog machines.
Let music bring us all together.

https://soundcloud.com/thenamelessvb

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2018, 11:57:46 PM »
Yo Jack.

It's always good to hear a new song from you,since I know I'm going to enjoy the listen.

This is no exception. Good driving energy and your trademark fine vocals and exquisite harmonies.

Very 80s and very cool.  :)

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2018, 07:40:35 AM »
You've got this down pat,
A touch of the Pet Shops, insistence beat and choice of chords and synths. and the vocals ad ex's all work a treat.
Catchy chorus too.
 :)
Neil
songwriter of no repute..

jacksimmons

• Solo Gig
    • Jack Simmons Music Facebook Page
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2018, 09:24:40 PM »
Thank you @Skub, @Neil C & @Jzr171 for the feedback and for listening.

Thank you for all the comments and feedback on this song, I will take it away and tweak it. Happy to say my 80s excursion is coming along nicely and hope the album will be finished in a few months.
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/jack-simmons-1/albums
Bandcamp: https://jacksimmonsmusic.bandcamp.com/

"When I play a dope melody, anything less than the best is a felony." - Robert Matthew Van Winkle

Keyser Söze

« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2018, 05:03:53 PM »
I really enjoyed it. The topic is pretty unconventional, reminded me a bit of "It's A Sin" by Pet Shop Boys, vocally and instrumentally as well. The lyrics are vague in some places and straightforward in others, and I think you found a pretty good balance between the two. The descending strings at 3:26 threw me off a little bit, felt like they belong in a different song. Everything else is great though, keep up the good work!