The Good Fight (Drum Challenge Competition Entry)

• 22 Replies

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« on: May 27, 2018, 09:09:49 PM »
Hey all,

Had fun working with this track, but decided to go a slightly different route than all those trashy guitars.

Enjoy!

----------------

THE GOOD FIGHT
(T J Boswell)

I’m only living for the moment
Being myself the best I can
And if u want to call me out
Here I am
Here I am

All you millennial fucking snowflakes
I don’t wanna get with your program
I’ve earned the right to say what I like
So here I am
Here I am

I'm fighting the good fight
fighting the good fight
fighting the good fight
For whatever feels alright

Nobody gets my generation
Nobody ever worked so hard
They always say
Seize the day and fuck tomorrow
Leave it scarred
But not in my backyard!
“You see we’re having a garden party!”

fighting the good fight
fighting the good fight

© 2018 T J Boswell

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 09:33:37 PM »
Yo Tom.
It's a cleverly thought out piece,given the obvious constrictions of the comp,it fights the good fight against conformity.

It shines!  8)

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2018, 11:09:32 PM »
Brilliant Tom. Love your strings as ever. It's a really clever piece with loads of attitude.  I don't think I've ever heard you give it so much welly on the vocals. I enjoyed it immensely

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2018, 12:10:39 AM »
Ha ha!

I was all over this like a tramp on a freshly-dropped kebab.

It has all your class fused with a huge dollop of attitude too. There are a load of great entries and I think this’ll be right up there with the best of them...

Great stuff, Tom  :)
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2018, 12:23:11 AM »
I don't have much to add...I have one little nit--the word "program" with its backwards emphasis (proGRAM instead of PROgram), but you may have done that by design, in which case, never mind.

Other than, an energetic, worthy entry. I really, really like the chorus!

Vicki

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2018, 12:31:30 AM »
The strings add a real touch of class to this, which both clashes and supports the angst perfectly

The attitude in the vocal is great, which is supported by the gritty lyric

I was in 2 minds about whether this is actually 2 songs - I couldn't quite make my mind up about whether the "disco chorus" acted as a "release" to the angst & grittier verses or whether it actually undermined them a little

I loved both sections equally - the writing, performance and production is all superb - I think it may be worth experimenting in the future to develop 2 songs by finding a different chorus to suit the grittier sections and some more "up beat" verses to suit that amazingly hooky chorus

To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2018, 09:54:08 AM »
You got me with that fiddle - love that slightly gypsy (Dexys?) feel that it adds.

Great song concept (I think I know that guy!) delivered with conviction. I was a bit in two minds over the breakdown, which was a really bold contrasting choice - not sure what I could suggest in its place though...!

Bill Saunders

• Platinum Album
    • https://soundcloud.com/bill-saunders
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2018, 10:01:57 AM »
Hugely original and very melodic - didn't think that would be possible with this drum track! Classy production, well sung, and the strings push everything along nicely - again - who would have thought strings would work? But they do.... I really like this one.

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2018, 01:38:30 PM »
Haha, this is awesome. Love the lyrics. A new baby boomer anthem. Not in my backyard! Haha. Love it.

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2018, 08:40:14 PM »
Tom,
Great track, fab concept and lyrics.( not that there's anything wrong with trashy guitars btw ).
Impassioned vocals. and its all works like it was made to hang together with the strings.
Seriously inspired.
 :) :)
neil
songwriter of no repute..

ScottLevi

• Platinum Album
  • Keep on Trucking
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2018, 08:15:25 PM »
Hey Tom,

No guitars?!  x'D

Attitude on all the levels dude. Powerful lyrics on disenchantment and the powerful execution to back it up. "F*ck tomorrow!" I feel it.

Hard to imagine this from the drum-track alone which makes it even more satisfying how you've pieced it all together nicely. Really cool sounds in there,

All the best,
Scott.

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2018, 05:20:38 PM »
Thanks all for the positive feedback, most good of you all!

@Neil C
@ScottLevi
I did original have guitars in but then decided to go full string quartet. Think it has a real edge about it.

@redrhodie
A new baby boomer anthem. Not in my backyard! Haha. Love it.
Spot on! I know many very fine baby boomers but they have had a few breaks the younger generations might not have the luxury of. I am possibly over doing in here, but if you can't overdo it in a song...

@Boydie
I was in 2 minds about whether this is actually 2 songs - I couldn't quite make my mind up about whether the "disco chorus" acted as a "release" to the angst & grittier verses or whether it actually undermined them a little
Not sure I hear the disco but fair enough. The chorus is the self justification really and a release in that sense.
I'll freely admit that i didn't have much time with the deadline, and just followed the "first thing I thought of" approach with this and saw where it went. Turned out interesting at least I hope.  :)

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2018, 04:52:28 AM »
Neat intro.

Quirky meld with the drum track/strings and you pull it off well...wouldn't expect less!

Strong chorus with a strong message and delivered in great style Tom.....vocal is brill. Backing vox adding to the chorus nicely..elevates it well.

Nice contemplative in the breakdown...and what else but getting back into the hooky bit...go for it! Improvised (well....) outro vox super and very neat ending.

Powerful and catchy....should be up there!

Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

katiewilson1

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2018, 07:33:48 PM »
A song with attitude no hanging about straight into the song - I liked the break in the middle -gave it a bit of contrast and yes a bit dexyish - folkish maybe before getting back into the nitty gritty of the song - does what it says on the tin - 8-10 mark from me

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2018, 09:55:18 AM »
Very interesting, great LVox and production, It's a right mashup, of genres which is really my thing, all sorts kicking off in there, making the brain go, what on earth... really cool.

thanks

cpm