Pretty Blue (drum track competition)

• 23 Replies

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« on: May 27, 2018, 05:19:10 PM »
Here's my entry. Fecking drummer speeds up in the chorus reminds me of the band days..  ;D
Any advice, comments, disparaging remarks are welcome.

https://soundcloud.com/paulcanuck/pretty-blue

Pretty Blue

I'll never be your techni-colour man
No pot of gold if I'm your rainbow's end
No sunny ray of sunshine peaking through
I know I'm grey but babe - you're pretty blue

I love you babe whatever mood you choose
I may be grey but Babe - you're pretty blue

I'm flying from the fire to the pan
I'll never try to light it up again
You know I'm never gonna change my hue
Maybe I been grey but you're pretty blue

choruses and what-not..
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 06:38:34 PM by Paulski »

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 08:24:47 PM »
Yo Paul,ya old fox!  8)

Nothing like yer usual stuff,yet totally like yer usual stuff.

You have a way of making a thing yer own. It's the sign of a great artist.

Punk Canuck feck me pink,it's a new genre!  :D

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2018, 12:17:52 AM »
I was also taken a bit by surprise by the genre - not what I was expecting at all, which was great!

I love the energy in this and the vocal sounds fantastic

Although the organ added a new "flavour" I think I would have personally left it out to keep the song a "garage rocker" with the drums, bass & guitar

Overall though, I really liked this interpretation and you really knitted in well with the drum track
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2018, 12:46:50 AM »
Oh, I really enjoyed that! No nits. For me, it feels like an elderly couple, one singing to the other. Awesome!

Vicki

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2018, 01:09:16 AM »
I really loved hearing this one...I had no idea what to expect...it’s been incredible how people have gone out on a limb and knocked something up that retains all of their talent and integrity.

It’s obviously a starting point that’s close to my heart...but this is another example of how great writers can take something that perhaps might not be their “thing” and make something special and unique out of it.

Thoroughly enjoyable.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Bill Saunders

• Platinum Album
    • https://soundcloud.com/bill-saunders
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2018, 09:56:18 AM »
Completely angry and wonderful - this is punky and the sort of thing that sprung to mind when I did my entry too. You managed to cut out some of the drum track and not fall over too! Very short, very good!

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2018, 10:03:50 AM »
That's a great infectious guitar riff, really sets the mood and tells us where this going. (Perhaps around the 1 minute mark I thought maybe it could use some variation?)

Love the sentiment too - some people just need to realise that being miserable isn't necessarily a great life choice (and I used to date many of them...)

The organ is interesting indeed - I think that's one of the fascinating things with this track - because it has space for instrumentals and breakdowns then all of us get to thinking about what to add there and the results are unique. I think I'd have it all the way to the end and not just for the break but that would be a different vibe of course.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2018, 10:21:42 AM »
Loved this Paulski. That geetar just rawks big time. I love the simplicity, the drive, the energy and the rhythm. I really like the organ actually. Adds a big slice of psychedelic. This is monster  ;D

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2018, 01:35:37 PM »
Love the different meanings of pretty blue both working simultaneously. Cool lyrics. Singing sounds great. Love the organ. Fun to hear you rock out! Totally works. So what are you, capable of anything? Very impressed.

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2018, 05:02:38 PM »
Neat how you turned the riff in the instrumental/organ bit....and it's that riff which marks this....and your vocal of course, which is Paulski all right but with his tight pants on for this one.

Good old rocker with typical Paulski panache and like all the songs I've heard so far in the comp you wouldn't know the drums hadn't been created just for this!

Yeah the organ part comes a bit out of nowhere but I liked that bit a lot!
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2018, 09:42:42 AM »
You sound pretty good cranked up, mate! Really good track, love the slippery guitar riff and the perfect delivery of the hook.
Not so sure about the break in the middle, seemed from a different song on first listen.
The drum track fits just right and it's a really great listen!

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2018, 01:32:04 PM »
Cheers everyone for the warm reception to this song  ;D
No-one has mentioned my country twang in a punk song  - so that's good  ;D

@skub - thanks for that - yeah that would be Punk Canunk I guess

@Boydie - cheers Paul - probably should have played guitar in that break but I'm a keyboard man so opted for the organ. Appreciate the kind words on the vocals - means a lot from the production master!  ;D

@CaliaMoko - thanks Vicki - two old people eh? hehe - I guess even punkers will get old some day.  ;D

@PaulAds - cheers Paul and thanks for the kind words. I'm anxious to here the original Clash song now that this is done.

oops - here comes the boss  :o - more thanks to come later ...   ;D ;D

ScottLevi

• Platinum Album
  • Keep on Trucking
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2018, 07:58:53 PM »
Heya Paul,

Especially excited to see how you've adapted your vibes to these extra punky drums. And outch, I'm in love with those sinister vocals and driving guitars, from start to finish!

Great use of the drum buildups, 'specially enjoy where it cuts to vocals before easing back in. Reminded me of 'Damn this Field' a little which is another one of my faves - will be back for more listens fo sure.

Cheers!
Scott.

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2018, 01:54:07 AM »
@Bill Saunders - cheers Bill - more hangry than angry - I hadn't eaten when I recorded this  ;D Appreciate the kind comments.

@adamfarr - cheers Adam - you're prob right about the organ - should have kept it going maybe. Thanks for listening!

@pompeyjazz - thanks John. yeah it was fun to do sth like this fo sure!

@redrhodie - thanks Lynn - well I'm capable of trying anything - succeeding? - well that's another kettle of fish ;D

@Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra - cheers Ian. Yeah I like going to the sub-dominant in a bridge - makes things go kind of sideways - hopefully in a good way!

@tboswell - Thanks Tom - means a lot coming from you - agree that organ part is a segway. Hope it gets better second time around (if anyone plays it that often  ;D)

@ScottLevi - thanks Scott - yeah there's no let-up in this one - the drums made me do it! Appreciated the kind remarks on Damn this Field too.

Hope I didn't miss anyone - thanks again everybody and good luck in the contest (not that you'll need it)!

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2018, 12:44:34 AM »
real strong vocal paul some welly indeed (uk for foot on the pedal..with some urgency !)
and such a mean riff ! a JCB of a riff ! 
love the Wurlitzer rising up from the pit
great song on top

imagine this on a juke box !
great comp
each of the songs ive listened to so far could be singles !
i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1