konalavadome

Moving back to England...maybe

• 17 Replies

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« on: May 27, 2018, 10:05:00 AM »
So..decide to move back to England after 20 years living in Europe..mainly the Czech Republic, house is up for sale and getting a tot of interest, looks like it's gonna go quick...
decided to check out crime statistics in various parts of England, mainly North Yorkshire where I am from and bugger me :o :o
turns out the UK is the most violent country in Europe :o :o and to make it worse Cleveland (which is in North Yorks where we were considering moving to) is the most crime ridden county in England :o :o :o
what the heck's happened!!!
anti social behavior is off the charts apparently.. :( :(
a female is most likely to be sexually attacked in West Yorkshire ( this is out of the whole of Europe ) hmmm..wonder why that is then ::) ::)
so we're in a bit of a quandary now, England is a fab place ( that's why everyone and his brother wants to go there I s'pose ) and we do miss it, lots of great places to go, (unlike the Czech Republic, which is very safe but very boring)

got a lot of thinking to do now..waddya reckon?

best, Kevin :) :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 11:12:10 AM »
Well...I'm seriously thinking about leaving England to live abroad...probably won't be able to do it for a couple of years yet, though.

if you've been happy living abroad, I can't honestly (and it saddens me to say this) see any reason to come back to England.

We'll be happy to have you though  :)
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2018, 12:07:03 PM »
Sad times for Blighty right now. Paul, if I could talk my way into it I'd have a crack at living abroad too. Mind you, Devon is hardly the Bronx when it comes to crime.

Kev, maybe you should look at Devon/ Cornwall/ Somerset? If you stay out of the big cities it's actually pretty nice in my experience. Slightly boring perhaps, depending on what floats your boat, but quiet, green and not always raining! ;)
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2018, 02:13:03 PM »
bit of a dillema there kevin
maybe fly over for a couple weeks and get a feel before committing.. things are weird at the moment no doubt about it..
countrys perplexed and divided over brexit and nhs and police etc etc.. 
and if your broke your broken
but there is vibrant life and creativity and good folk..
looking forward to the pendulum swinging back.. 
good luck mate
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 02:14:36 PM by nooms »
i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2018, 02:27:48 PM »
cheers guy's, we're now looking at Northumberland..lowest population, lowest crime, it's beautiful and we like the rain 8) 8)
we will be driving over for a week or so soon..see whats what :) :)

best, Kevin :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2018, 02:42:30 PM »
Northumberland is a great choice, Kev...I’m up there now...half an hour up the road for me...and loads of the best and most unspoiled coast (and castles!) there are
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2018, 03:09:35 PM »
Well, I've left England (west Yorkshire) to move to France and have to say it has been an instant increase in our standard of living. Able to live in the nice area of town, in a higher quality house, cycle to work, walk to shops. I go jogging on an evening without any fear of meeting groups of chavs and what not. That's before I even get on to the weather...

In the UK we could only afford to live in awful areas or awful housing and the rental market is terrible. All too easy for landlords to extort occupants and get away with having housing in terrible condition.

Of course being in France you need to speak French and it can be lonely on occasion (being a foreigner) but this can hopefully be overcome with time...

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2018, 04:20:36 PM »
Northumberland is a great choice, Kev...I’m up there now...half an hour up the road for me...and loads of the best and most unspoiled coast (and castles!) there are

Lucky you Paul, we were there some years ago and loved it, problem with the Czech Republic is you can drive for miles through..not very nice villages to get to somewhere that's..sort of ok
and difficult to find somewhere to have a good meal...not saying they don't exist..just not many of em and hard to find.
there's always a nice cafe or pub somewhere in England's  villages and towns..

best, Kevin :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2018, 04:23:59 PM »
Well, I've left England (west Yorkshire) to move to France and have to say it has been an instant increase in our standard of living. Able to live in the nice area of town, in a higher quality house, cycle to work, walk to shops. I go jogging on an evening without any fear of meeting groups of chavs and what not. That's before I even get on to the weather...

In the UK we could only afford to live in awful areas or awful housing and the rental market is terrible. All too easy for landlords to extort occupants and get away with having housing in terrible condition.

Of course being in France you need to speak French and it can be lonely on occasion (being a foreigner) but this can hopefully be overcome with time...

Can I ask you where abouts in France you moved to please, we're starting to wonder about the move a bit now so could take a look at France.. :)
best, Kevin
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

The S

• Solo Gig
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2018, 04:39:19 PM »
There's room on my tiny island outside Stockholm if anyone is interested. Glad to have some musically gifted friends in the neighbourhood. Come on over, I'll put the kettle on!!!  :D 8)

Bill Saunders

• Platinum Album
    • https://soundcloud.com/bill-saunders
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2018, 06:05:23 PM »
Hi Kevin

If you like a laid back life and lots of rain, how about rural Scotland. We moved from Guildford in Surrey to Laurencekirk in Aberdeenshire. My kids had a wonderful, innocent outdoor childhood. We stayed in Scotland for 20 years and it was an almost entirely positive experience. We're now 2,000 miles south near Alicante but that's another story..!

Good luck.

Bill

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2018, 07:59:27 PM »
cheers guys..really appreciate you replying, afraid Scotland and Sweden are out because I wanna be a native in my own country for a while...maybe :-\ :-\, everything's up in the air at the mo, just been informed the house is definitely sold, only put it up 5 days ago, happening a bit too quick,

best, Kevin
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2018, 04:31:02 PM »

Can I ask you where abouts in France you moved to please, we're starting to wonder about the move a bit now so could take a look at France.. :)
best, Kevin

Moved to Roanne which is about 1.5hrs northwest of Lyon (technically I live in Riorges which is joined on to Roanne....)

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2018, 07:17:20 PM »

best, Kevin

Moved to Roanne which is about 1.5hrs northwest of Lyon (technically I live in Riorges which is joined on to Roanne....)

thank you.. :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2018, 10:34:14 PM »
If you have the money and don't need to live in a city there are plenty of places in North Yorkshire/Cleveland where you can live virtually crime free. I'm sure there will be the odd motorist breaking the speed limit, the odd under-age drinker but nothing major. Most towns in North Yorkshire will have areas with very little crime as will Middlesbrough.