konalavadome

Only the young (Drum Challenge Entry)

• 20 Replies

Darren1664

• Platinum Album
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2018, 11:58:05 AM »
Hey Martin

I want to use the word understated to describe this track! I hope I've chosen the right word! :P because I think it's such a subtle melody for a hook that doesn't sink in until towards the end. I've listened to this a few times now and I think it's exceptional. The lyrics are simple yet effective and the vocal delivery is full of character. I agree with comments regarding the mix but looking past that what you have here is a beaut! The guitar line is as subtle as the vocal melody, and I LOVE that bit over the breakdown. Great noodling.  :)

Great stuff

Darren

Martinswede

• Platinum Album
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2018, 05:42:50 PM »
Thank you!

@ScottLevi Making this song meant figuring out lots of things. I looked for a dreamy sound.

@nooms That was my aim.

@Darren1664 That's great to hear! I wanted to squeeze as much as I could in there. Innocence, lust, desperation. Recording the lead guitar was one of the highlights of the entire project. Tried to make melodies sounding both 50s and punk rock.

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2018, 07:49:08 PM »
I can hear some Richard Hawley in your voice, which is nice - he's a great artist.
I'm glad you went a different way than punk as you mentioned, the lighter, more sun-kissed tune makes it stand out and it still fits nicely with the drums.
The tune is quite subtle as Darren mentioned but is quite effective.
Production-wise, I would've backed off the reverb on the vocal somewhat and taken out some of the low mids on the reverb to help it sit better in the mix and push that sunny feeling forward a bit more.
I'm not so keen on the riff/guitar melody bit at the beginning, its' not a melody that really sticks in the mind and the sound of the guitar is a little bit jarring compared to the rest of the song.

Martinswede

• Platinum Album
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2018, 02:57:30 PM »
Thank you @Ramshackles !

Getting input on the vocals is vital for my process of improving them. It's pointless to aim for perfect, but there is a joy in trying to get better.

Martin

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2018, 01:16:46 AM »
Hi Martin
Great interpretation of the track.
I like the 60's feel to this and the guitar work is Neil Young Crazy Horse enchanting.  ;D
Nice one!  ;D
Paul

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2018, 08:38:08 AM »
Hello mate,
I enjoyed this.  ;D the down by the river line is the hook for me. It drives the song nicely.
Good work  8)