konalavadome

Mask. (drum challenge entry)

• 21 Replies

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« on: May 23, 2018, 01:50:33 PM »
Yo y'all.  :)

This unusual competition was an inspired choice by mister PaulAds. It was definitely a challenge,as the drums were quite...uh..'live'.  :D Not like my usual mate,Mr.Logic!

Quite often I start off with a drum track and jam along to see what transpires,so this mode of operation wasn't a million miles from the way I normally operate,but because the drummer wanders a little here and there,the tracks had to be done in a complete take. Old school!  :D Recording has made me very lazy.

Since it was a punky style R&R beat,the temptation was always there to make the song in a similar vein. Being the contrarian I am,I decided not to do that,just for the hell of it!  ;D

I didn't bother doing any work on the drums,or the bleed from the rest of the band,I just whanged a few tracks over the top and hoped it would mask (ha!) the noise. When you listen to the drum track solo,I reckon that's about as well as most drummers hear the rest of the band anyway!   ;D

The lyrics are self explanatory,dealing with folk of many faces.

Anyway,as long as I finish in front of Boydie in the comp,I'll be happy.  :P   :D

https://soundcloud.com/skub1955/mask/s-9ujw0

Will the real you stand up
Give me a chance
I'm tired of this dance
And making up
No matter how you rate it
It's all so complicated
And messed up

I can't take it
Knowing all the times you fake it
I can't take it
Remembering the ways you make it up

I'm chasing shadows every day
Everything that's real just fades away
You speak in words of mystery
Try to hide the history
You betray

What face is real,I can't say
You wear a different one each day

I shouldn't really need to ask
Show me the face behind the mask

I shouldn't really need to ask
Show me the face behind the mask
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 01:55:50 PM by Skub »

dasntn

• Open Mic
  • Nex't'Nothin - my main gig
    • Nex't'Nothin
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 04:45:06 PM »
Hi Skub
that's great - particularly love the vocals (multiple takes?) all together. Makes the drum track sound so much more normal and not so wild - very clever!

Like the lyrics - and "Fake" is such a word of our times!

This was indeed an inspired idea for a competition!  I'm not normally inclined to go in for them, but having the constraint of the pre-recorded drum track added an interesting challenge.

Dave
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 06:38:23 PM by dasntn »

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 05:47:52 PM »
Clever stuff Davy, This moves in a totally different dimension to the original track but boy is it effective.
The vocals are superb as usual and the double / triple track vocs lead to an almost eerie, otherworldly effect. Won't mention the guitar playing as its amazing as usual. Top job man  :)

Bill Saunders

• Platinum Album
    • https://soundcloud.com/bill-saunders
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 07:04:32 PM »
Turn that saturation knob up to 11!

The amount of fun you had doing this shines through Mr Skub, well done indeed. And angry lyrics too, which suits the mood. 

Martinswede

• Platinum Album
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 07:53:11 PM »
Nice song Skub!

I like that you made it a little less punk rock. The intro works great setting a slower pace. Nice vocal effects.

Darren1664

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 08:10:49 PM »
Very much enjoyed this skub! Had me shimmying around my kitchen.

I love how you've made this sound so unique, despite using the same drum track we all have. In fact I could say that for all the drum challenge tracks so far, same drums but completely different tracks.

Your vocals and guitar works are brilliant as always and very thoughtful lyrics.

Great track

All the best

Darren

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 08:26:15 PM »
I’m loving these songs!

Another belter...this one knits right in with the drum track...took it in a different direction and it sounds ace.

Layered vocals worked a treat with a great lyric and message.

Cool as you-know-what  8)
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2018, 01:48:16 AM »
Hey skub

Some good tunage here - liking those guitar lines and the vox - stand out stuff.
Another great interpretation of the drum track.

Enjoyed it ;D ;D
Paul

Katie Wilson

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2018, 08:46:53 AM »
Loved the start - listening to it I was transferred back to the mid seventies and long haired bands with tashes and flared trousers ( not a bad place at )

Works for me really like it - think other entrants will have to go a long way to beat this

Good  lyrics as well, I can imagine brotherhood of man singing something like this

Morefrog Jones

• Platinum Album
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2018, 11:53:04 AM »
Americana vibe.......with a 'want to listen till the end' feel that keeps the interest going.
Good stuff.

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2018, 06:59:15 PM »
Hi Skub,

This comp is throwing out some rocking tunes.
Cool topic for the lyrics; get the vitriol out.

The layered vocals work well.
Guitars reminded me of Fleetwood Mac at times - cool vibe.

Loved the vocals at the end.

Digger

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2018, 11:17:24 PM »
This is really fascinating, hearing how you all bring your personalities and trademark touches to the same canvas...  This one is you all over Skub, plenty of depth, some killer guitar, cool vocals... and I like the way you give the drums space sometimes, it felt like you'd reinterpreted the structure the drums suggested.  Liked the power chord at the end too!
It's all too beautiful.

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2018, 05:52:03 PM »
Guitars sounding great here Davy.

Inventive use of the drum track here....doesn't sound like it's 169 miles an hour at all.

Nice intro to this. Vocal work is very well done throughout.

Love the extended outro...neatly done indeed with the repeated sections and that repeated guitar starts at 2.45....made me think of Blue Oyster Cult for some reason!

Should run well!
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2018, 01:10:30 AM »
Love it. Country punk. Awesome! It's so cool to see the different directions everyone went in this contest, and this is a really unique entry. Great job.

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2018, 12:03:37 AM »
Anyway,as long as I finish in front of Boydie in the comp,I'll be happy.  :P   :D

Well, I clearly hated this and I think it should come last!

I do actually really love this one - the space you have left for the drums within such a dense mix is really well done

It is so interesting hearing this interpretation and I think the Country slant works really well

The star of the show for me was the guitars - both the playing and production right up my street - great job!
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic