konalavadome

Corporate Punk - Drum Challenge Entry

• 24 Replies

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2018, 05:40:22 PM »
Fraid I missed the other version so for me this is how it should go.

Enjoyed the vocal performance especially...sounds like you're having fun with it.

It's a pretty catchy number. Like the way you handled the breakdown part. Crazy solo!

ha ha....that ending!   I've done the same sort of thing in mine with the vocal!
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2018, 11:47:03 PM »
I really dig this interpretation

I love how how you have worked around the drums

The lyrics and vocal delivery also work really well

The bassline is the gem for me - melodic and funky, just how I like 'em

Love it!
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2018, 03:51:43 AM »
Oh, I like this one a lot! I don't suppose you could be persuaded to post the lyrics???

I like the topic, too. Everything's too corporate driven everywhere. I don't have any suggestions for improvements to the mix or anything like that, as that's not my area. So I'll just say, good job!

Vicki

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2018, 07:32:27 AM »
Great stuff - somehow I knew this would work with the drums and tempo, but way the breakdown comes at the crucial crossroads of the lyrics is really spot on. Also the "gang" backing vocals are a really good choice. I liked the original but this really brings it to life.

dasntn

• Open Mic
  • Nex't'Nothin - my main gig
    • Nex't'Nothin
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2018, 09:12:43 AM »
Thanks everyone for the comments - very much appreciate!

@adamfarr - You were so right to encourage me to do this!  - the drums really fitted the song very well, and with only some minor edits to the original (dropped a verse), things like the breakdown came at just the right place.

@CaliaMoko - The lyrics are in the thread, near the bottom of the first page.

@Boydie - any comments from you are very welcome, and thanks for picking up on the bass. I picked it, whereas normally I play with fingers, to give it more drive, and I think that made a big difference!

@Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra - got to keep the endings corny!! It was a lot of fun, channeling my inner Johnny Rotten!

cheers
Dave

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2018, 10:35:54 PM »
Distorted mandola - so cool! :D

I like the happy sound and sing along chorus that you have gone for; moves the song away from the punky drums but still fits with them quite nicely.
Your voice is obviously more suited to your usual, more gentle folk, but you have done well here.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2018, 09:52:19 AM »
Hi Dave

Great work, really liked the original, and this is better, nice production, lovely work on the drums.

Thanks very much

cpm

ScottLevi

• Platinum Album
  • Keep on Trucking
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2018, 09:59:30 PM »

Hey Das,

Not sure if we've crossed paths before, so nice to meet yah if not - and great to see your embracing the competition! :)

Glad I scrolled down to find your lyrics too, what craftmenship you have there. And damn it's fully relatable to, I'm sure, lots of us. Get me the F*** out of here so I can get to "Now you know that love will be the measure of your life" xD

Haven't heard your original but you must have some talent to rework this in so perfectly, would never have guessed. As other have said your vocals really great too, no faff, no gimmicks, feels like you're just doing it without a care yet seemlessy falls together into a very enjoyable melody and range.

Will be keeping an ear out!
Cheers dude,
Scott.

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2018, 11:28:08 PM »
hi dasnt

great tight feel punchy sound
locked on those drums
catchy tune to boot
in yer face vocals punchy and proud
reminds me of john peel show way back when..
great stuff
what a comp this is
fine work mate
i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

dasntn

• Open Mic
  • Nex't'Nothin - my main gig
    • Nex't'Nothin
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2018, 06:04:06 PM »
Thanks guys

@ScottLevi  - don't think we have crossed paths yet - I joined up in January when I came across the forum.
The original is on the Finished forum somewhere, called Corporate Life.  I spent a while mapping out the changes in the drum track, copious notes, looked complicated, so then it was a case of, stuff it, just give it a go and see how it fits. And it fit surprising well with few mods (dropped one verse), so I think it was luck more than anything else!  Enjoyed having a go at channeling my John Lydon for the vocals, these days I'm more of a folky type singer.

thanks @nooms - no greater compliment than the John Peel reference. Really liked yours too!

and thanks @cowparsleyman and @Ramshackles for your kind words!

cheers
Dave