konalavadome

Internal Server Error **Contains Update**

• 25 Replies

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« on: May 22, 2018, 09:34:57 PM »
Been getting loads of these lately (last two weeks or so) especially on iPhone but also from my Mac too...anybody else having problems?

Had one tonight whilst sending a PM and had to type it out again as it all disappeared...strange  :-\
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 04:12:51 PM by Boydie »
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Bill Saunders

• Platinum Album
    • https://soundcloud.com/bill-saunders
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 09:44:51 PM »
I get that sometimes when I launch the forum on Android. I then just close it, relaunch and it's OK.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 10:33:32 PM »
I have had a few as well

I wonder if this is also the cause of the double posts

@tone - any ideas?

There was a recent disruption caused by the hosting company so they may be doing some works
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 10:44:52 PM »
Not entirely sure at the moment. I may need to consult the error logs in the server control panel as there appears to be nothing wrong in the places I have been looking... I've been getting the odd server error too. They seemed random enough that I wanted to put it down to hosting shenanigans, but the fact that posts are still reaching the database while the user is getting an error 500 is pretty fishy.

Watch this space
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 12:23:32 AM »
Ya,the 500 page thinks it's a bookmark on my Mac!  :D

dasntn

• Open Mic
  • Nex't'Nothin - my main gig
    • Nex't'Nothin
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 04:47:05 PM »
Me too - I get it about 50% of the time I post something. I use a Mac

cheers
Dave

Sterix

• Platinum Album
  • Devil may care, I do not!
    • Sterix Rocks!
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2018, 08:05:37 PM »
I use a Mac

That's half your problem right there! :p

Sorry, I work in tech support and there's a bit of inter-office rivalry between the Mac and Windows users! :D

I always get an error when I create a topic (I mentioned it elsewhere). It may be that others do to and then try to post again because they don't realise their topic was actually created. I always browse via a new tab to double check before I hit back and try to repost...

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2018, 09:19:04 PM »
Sorry to bump this thread,but it's got to the stage with me,that it's a lottery even logging on to the forum. It can be up to 10 error pages before a result,even when jumping between forum sections. Yesterday Safari fell over after multiple attempts. I'm never actually sure if I've posted something until I double check.

Using Safari on a Mac.

Similar results using Chrome from android.

philbee

• Busker
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2018, 11:09:24 PM »
Yes - I have always encountered 'Internal Server Error' ever since I joined the forum.
It happens when trying to open the home page and also when attempting to open a section or post.
It's not an occasional occurrence - it happens almost every day.

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2018, 12:25:45 AM »
Thanks guys

I will check with the server hosts as I got this occasionally but it appeared to settle down

I could never create a reliable "recipe" that would make it happen

I will raise a support ticket and report back on this thread ( unless @tone has any thoughts??)
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2018, 08:47:44 AM »
unless @tone has any thoughts??
None that make any sense... Although doing another search I just came across "24 things to try to improve forum performance" so when I get a chance I can start working through the list.

In the meantime, it's probably a good idea to raise a support ticket @Boydie - according to the error logs it looks like a memory allocation problem.
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2018, 03:52:21 PM »
I just now made a new post and, I think--for the first time in the new environment--it posted with no error. ;D I didn't have to check to see if it posted or not (although I did, just in case).

Plus...for what I think is the first time, also, my posts (and everybody else's) are not showing up on the "unread topics" list over and over until someone replies to them.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 03:55:01 PM by CaliaMoko »

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2018, 07:52:00 AM »
In my experience, error 500 is a tricky one to nail as it's classified as a "general" error. However, I do have a few thoughts although not knowing the technical setup makes it tricky. Firstly, I'm assuming that the forum website is hosted on a server with multiple other websites. If this is the case, each website is allocated a slice of memory at startup but (and without getting too technical) depending on how resources are allocated, it's possible that other websites are stealing memory from other appliactions. It would be worth investigating the startup parameters and allocating more memory if possible. Secondly, there could be a general memory leak on the server caused by one of the applications running on it. A server re-boot would resolve this in the short term but the correct fix for this would be to identify the offending application and correct the code (tricky). Anyway, just my thoughts from something that I used to do in a former life  :)

John

Jenna

• Solo Gig
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2018, 10:22:03 PM »
Well, I don't want to beat a dead horse, but I get those errors every time I go to reply to a topic. They result in a double post unless I preview it first to make sure it exists, then post it. That's about the only time I see the error.