konalavadome

May SOTM Pre-Gig Warm Up

• 10 Replies

Sterix

• Platinum Album
  • Devil may care, I do not!
    • Sterix Rocks!
« on: June 04, 2018, 12:39:01 AM »
So I've started taking bribes going through all the May songs. I'm currently just "browsing" and seeing what grabs my attention before working on whittling them down to a bare-bones handful.

I do have one question though (you'll probably say it's up to me, I know!) but should I include songs that have been entered for the "drum challenge" (whoever says yes is a sadist because you've just made my job a helluva lot more difficult!  :-* )

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 12:43:12 AM »
My opinion, which worth about one oak leaf, is no. One or the other but not both. If my memory is accurate, that's been the practice in the past. Of course, my memory carries a value similar to my opinion....  8) :o :P

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 12:54:02 AM »
I’d be inclined to say “no” too...I think the drum challenge should be kept separate...

Ps everyone is welcome to vote for their favourite drum challenge song...and I’d love to get some votes from innocent bystanders  :)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 12:57:24 AM by PaulAds »
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2018, 02:44:17 AM »
yeah I'd say exclude the drum comp songs.
my 2 cents CDN

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2018, 08:52:05 AM »
Hi @Sterix I would say keep the drum comp separate.  BTW,  did the money you asked for come through OK?

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2018, 09:45:57 AM »
Agree too - keeping them separate is what we've done before and it makes much more sense to me that way.
Thanks for hosting!

Sterix

• Platinum Album
    • Sterix Rocks!
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2018, 05:12:05 PM »
Thanks guys. Small pity about drum ones... there were some kick-ass tunes amongst them.

Pompey... what money? If you sent directly to my bank then that's gone straight to my missus. Won't be seeing that any time soon!

Sterix

• Platinum Album
    • Sterix Rocks!
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2018, 09:45:13 PM »
Hiring bodyguards! I've just gone through nearly 30 songs so far and already I realise this is gonna be tough whittling them down! I may need some human shields when I announce the finalists...  ;D

Sterix

• Platinum Album
    • Sterix Rocks!
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2018, 11:11:08 PM »
Well I've narrowed it down to 10! Three definites, two almost certainties, and I may squeeze in one from the other 5 to make a fight of it.

Anyway, noobie here requires a little more info...

1. How long do you usually run the comp for (a week?)
2. I take it voting is done by PM the votes in so they can be tallied up. I think (my memory is worse than shite) somebody mentioned rounding up some homies to help with this procedure. Someone clarify please?
3. Who do I send the invoice to for all the work I'm putting into this? :D

Just kidding on the last one... ;)

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2018, 06:20:23 AM »
Hey Sterix
It’s tough but sometimes you just need to plump for something! I used to try give marks for Melody, lyrics, originality as a tiebreaker. Of course there is no right answer!

Usually voting is a week to two weeks. Maybe 2 this time as there’s been a lot to listen to with the other comp?

Pm is best to have a handle on who’s voted (nominees must and not for themselves). But if you want to do a poll or another way then that’s your prerogative.

Cohosts arent usually required. (In open comps better so you can enter your own song without any suggestion of foul play).

It will be fine, you’ll see...

Sterix

• Platinum Album
    • Sterix Rocks!
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2018, 11:29:57 PM »
Thanks @adamfarr,

I'll post the poll tomorrow (when I'm sober - hic). I'll be honest, the song choices isn't the part I've got a real problem with. With those I've gone for the songs that either hit me straight away (for whatever reason) plus those that haven't quite managed that but I've still found a number of likeable qualities in them (and not even genres I generally like), or I've found I've really liked the second/third time around (some of my favourite songs ever have been ones I haven't necessarily liked the first few times of listening). Ideally I'd like to put all 10 songs up for consideration but that's probably too many for most people's ideal.

I'll run it for two weeks (Sat - Sat).