Using Reaper in Kubuntu (Linux)

• 6 Replies

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« on: May 21, 2018, 11:23:18 PM »
I'm starting this thread to keep track of how this experiment goes. I've installed Kubuntu 18.04 LTS on my newest old laptop and installed Reaper 5.90 rc4. Something called "Jack" was automatically installed at the same time. I don't know if there's anything else I need to make Reaper work.

When I boot into Reaper, the first thing that happens is a window pops up saying, "There was an error opening the audio hardware". So far I've only taken a brief look through "options" to see if anything jumped out at me as helpful, but, no....  So now I'm starting my trouble shooting. If anyone's been through this and has any insights, please feel free to let me know.  ;) :P

Before you ask, I'm upgrading because (1) my newest old laptop was having issues (it had Windows 7 on it), and was working poorly. Unfortunately, I can't remember just what it was doing that was unacceptable, but I gave up on it and bought a new laptop, which is my general purpose laptop, and I don't use it for recording.

(2) The laptop I use for recording is ancient in computer years, runs on XP, and hasn't enough hard drive space to do much of anything. I save all my files on an external hard drive, so it works, but the hard drive is mostly full and all it has on it is Reaper, Audacity, and a few little things. Plus, it's just old and I one of these days it'll die on me and then I won't have anything that works for recording. If I can get the Linux machine working, the old Windows XP laptop can be my backup in case of emergency.

I'm switching to Linux because I'm hoping it'll have fewer problems over the long run. The recording computer is not connected to the internet, by the way. Plus, I've always been curious about Linux and wanted to try it out.

Oh, and--in case it makes any difference--Reaper is paid for and registered. I've already installed the license key.font]

Mikey

• Solo Gig
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 11:43:22 PM »
I believe this message means Reaper can't find your audio interface, assuming your usb ports work, either you haven't connected your interface or it needs a linux driver in order to make it work.

Hope this is helpful, Mikey

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 08:06:28 AM »
+1 to what @Mikey said - messages like that are usually related to the audio interface not being found, which in turn is usually down to the drivers not seeing the audio interface

So, my first port of call would be to check whether your audio interface has LINUX drivers and take it from there

I do have to say though - is going a Linux route really going to save you hassle in the long run?

If you are not uber tech and Linux savvy I would question whether you might be better of investing in a new laptop running windows (or a Mac) as the prices and performance nowadays means that a spec for recording a few tracks of audio & midi are really reasonable and will save a whole lot of time and effort faffing around with Linux (IMHO of course!)

I can only foresee troubles and stress in the future with this approach- if you do get things working I think there will be a time you want to add something else (software or hardware) that may not be possible as you are going "off piste"

I know many happily use Linux but I would really consider whether you want to spend your precious time researching and tweaking instead of making music?

To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 12:23:53 PM »
This will be nothing to do with reaper, but whether Linux can support your audio interface.
What model do you have?
I have a kubuntu laptop at home so I can try plugging in my interface and let you know my findings....of course it might only be of limited use.
Linux is notoriously terrible with audio hardware. There hasn't been enough interest from the big audio companies to invest in developing it

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 02:29:35 PM »
I have the PreSonus AudioBox 44vsl. It never occurred to me I might not be able to find drivers. You probably have a different one, @Ramshackles . I'll be ibterested to hear.

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2018, 04:14:06 PM »
....I do have to say though - is going a Linux route really going to save you hassle in the long run?....

You're totally correct. Well, maybe not totally , but close. I really enjoy digging into the teckkie stuff, but it has left me far behind. Linux reminds me of DOS, which I miss. It was understandable, sort of. At least it didn't hide everything in some inscrutable registry. Ugh! And when installing programs it didn't generate insidious tentacles that embedded incomprehensible bits of code in seemingly random locations all over the place.

I suppose the rational thing to do would be to put a clean install of Windows 7 on the recording computer. Maybe I'll do that; I don't know.

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2018, 04:26:13 PM »
Hi Vicki

Jack is the bit of software that acts as a bridge between your audio interface and your linux software. It's been a while since I tried it, but linux had no problem detecting my (admittedly older) Tascam audio interface. In fact, I think I just plugged it in and it started working.

If you're really keen to see what linux can do, you might find ubuntu studio a good starting point. It's a version of ubuntu designed especially for creative work, and it has many drivers included that you'd have to seek out and install manually with other linux versions. https://ubuntustudio.org/

I have a friend who records on linux and says it's much less problematic than it was a few years back. There's a lot of help out there if you know where to look - and most importantly - can be bothered to troubleshoot if problems arise.

It pains me to say it, but since this computer is staying offline, I'd probably just install windows and have done with it. You'll be able to just plug everything in and start making music - which let's face it, is much more fun than learning how to use BASH :D
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l