konalavadome

Your Lying Eyes

• 4 Replies

Sterix

• Platinum Album
  • Devil may care, I do not!
    • Sterix Rocks!
« on: May 16, 2018, 10:27:50 PM »
Freshly written just now... just started with the first line and a nice melody in my head and it grew from there.

VERSE
I had to let you go
It's so hard to explain
I love you so
But you caused me too much pain
My heart can't cope

BRIDGE
You left me
Feeling black and blue
There was nothing I could do
But to turn and walk away

VERSE
I had to say goodbye
There was no other way
To save my life
I was tired of all your games
Your rules weren't mine

BRIDGE
Your poison
Seeped into my wounds
You were nothing but my doom
But I found the strength inside...

CHORUS
To look beyond
Your lying eyes
That haunt my dreams still in the night
You can't go on
Believing I
Would still believe your lying eyes
That's foolish pride...

VERSE
I had to break my heart
There was no other way
It was so hard
But you're never gonna change
It's who you are

BRIDGE
It's who you
Always meant to be
And it took so long for me
To see through your charade

CHORUS
To look beyond
Your lying eyes
You can't go on
Believing I
That's foolish pride...

EXTRA
In a dream you turn to face me
And I look into those eyes
For a moment fate betrays me
And you think that I
Will change my mind!

INSTRUMENTAL

BRIDGE
Your poison
Seeped into my wounds
You were nothing but my doom
But I found the strength inside...

CHORUS
To look beyond
Your lying eyes
You can't go on
Believing I
(That's foolish pride)

CHORUS
I looked beyond
Your lying eyes
You can't go on
Believing I
Your lying eyes
You cannot hide
Behind your lying eyes...

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 12:57:33 AM »
Since you mention you have a melody, I'm curious as to why you don't post this as a song in progress? I know I would find it quite helpful, as I often can't imagine how other people's words would work with a melody.

And, by the way, I really appreciate how you've jumped into forum activity with both feet. You're an asset to our community!

I've read through your lyric a couple times and have a couple thoughts which may or may not be useful or helpful.

1. The theme is unstable (I've noticed most songs seem to have unstable themes, so that's not unusual). Your verses have five irregular lines each. Perfect for an unstable theme.
2. The rhymes are sometimes perfect, sometimes not. I think enough of them are imperfect to be good support for an unstable theme.
3. You have a LOT of bridges in this. I find that very unusual and am not sure what I think about it. Since it's so unexpected, you could make a case for it being strong support for the unstable theme. I haven't heard of such a technique, but there's a lot I don't know.
4. You have written your chorus in 7 lines, but I would interpret it as 5 lines, like this:
    To look beyond your lying eyes
     You can't go on believing I
     That's foolish pride...

Either way, it, again, supports the unstable theme, although the first four lines feel very stable to me. The fifth line introduces the unstable feel.
5. First bridge, last line: But to turn and walk away". I would change this to "But turn and walk away" to make it correct grammatically. If you need the syllables, you could use "I just turned and walked away", or something like that.

That's all I see in the brief time I had to spend on this.

Again, I've been enjoying your contributions to the forum, although I seldom comment these days. That may improve by the end of the year. Maybe.

Sterix

• Platinum Album
  • Devil may care, I do not!
    • Sterix Rocks!
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 07:19:29 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to comment. :D

I actually wrote the verses/bridges as combined verses (there's no real pause between the two, and then split them out for aesthetics mainly. The chorus can be as you described - again it was just aesthetics in that I was rhyming in two places within the line and I tend to notate them thus when I'm writing to help me keep track.

With regard to the first bridge, I'm not so overly-committed to perfect grammar that it really bothers me. Yes, moi, a grammar Nazi admitting that!

As for posting in "song in progress", although I have a melody it's in my head (or, in this case, very badly sung on my iPhone - to help me keep track of the tune when writing and when coming back to it. Better you just see it in the lyric section! ;)

Although... that said... I am planning (if I get drunk enough to relax my considerable inhibitions) to post one of my song lyrics WITH a link to me singing it. I've already recorded it a couple of times and my singing isn't so bad on it that I wouldn't be that embarrassed letting you all hear it - but I'd like to post a version where I actually sing all the correct words though. Hopefully I'll do that over the weekend. And hopefully I won't get banned for inflicting unnecessary pain and suffering on the forum populace! :D

Davino

• Busker
  • I write poetry and song lyrics
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2018, 05:14:52 AM »
NICE!

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2018, 05:43:12 PM »
All I have right now is a first impression.   A very good first impression, but I have a sense that this has too many components to hold a listener's attention from front to back.  Not sure yet what I think should be done about that.  I'll have to look again with a fresh view in a day or two. 
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.