tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« on: May 16, 2018, 05:36:06 PM »
For all you hit song grail seekers

Actually really interesting to peek under the bonnet of one of these tunes.
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 07:39:33 PM »
He’s good isn’t he, I think because he covers both the playing/arrangememt and the production. I saw his one of Every Little Thing... by The Police and it was super insightful.

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 06:04:53 PM »
Calling @Boydie if you haven't already seen this it's right up your street mate

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 08:12:19 AM »
Thanks for the heads up @tone

I had clocked this when it was first posted and have finally had time to watch it

Rick Beato might be my new favourite person ever!!!

I have gone back to beginning to watch from episode 1 - the ones on the Police and Steely Dan are particularly interesting for music theory nuts - and the Larry Carlton guitar solo analysis is mind blowing!!

When I did my Grade 8 electric guitar exam there was an improvisation section where you had to play over a previously unseen jazz style backing track - I just went for it and scored amazingly well, with the examiner saying my style reminded him of Larry Carlton (who I had never heard of at that point!) - I now realise what a huge compliment that was!!! ;D
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

AnitaFox

• Open Mic
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2018, 09:34:19 PM »
I wish some of what he said made some sense to me, would make this whole song writing malarkey bit easier!

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2018, 10:11:57 PM »
Thanks for the heads up @tone

I had clocked this when it was first posted and have finally had time to watch it

Rick Beato might be my new favourite person ever!!!

I have gone back to beginning to watch from episode 1 - the ones on the Police and Steely Dan are particularly interesting for music theory nuts - and the Larry Carlton guitar solo analysis is mind blowing!!

When I did my Grade 8 electric guitar exam there was an improvisation section where you had to play over a previously unseen jazz style backing track - I just went for it and scored amazingly well, with the examiner saying my style reminded him of Larry Carlton (who I had never heard of at that point!) - I now realise what a huge compliment that was!!! ;D
Hell yes that Steely Dan guitar solo puts most others to shame. Quite an accolade to draw that comparison @Boydie !

I'm right there with you about Mr Beato too - his youtube content is 2nd to none. No need to pay for a university education in music any more. Just subscribe to Rick. In case you haven't found him yet, you should probably also follow Adam Neely. The 2nd best music channel on youtube IMH(BC)O

@AnitaFox just watch it through a few times and don't sweat it if there are parts you don't understand. We were all new to music and new to songwriting once. Just spend as much time as you can soaking it all up. You'll start to retain knowledge soon enough.

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2018, 10:03:27 AM »
Thanks for pointing this one out @tone!

They are all interesting, but I do love that Ariana a grande tune and the video has some great production details.
Sidechaining overload!

Highly recommended.

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2018, 06:52:07 PM »
Indeed, but showing my age. The production I get, just not sure about the song and songwriting skills.  I think there’s guys could make a stake price of cheddars sound great so it’s hard to hear whats beneath the sheen and assess if it’s we just vocals and guitar whether it’s any good. Some would and some wouldn’t osss that test imho
 :)grandpa
songwriter of no repute..

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2018, 09:11:18 AM »
I totally get where you're coming from Neil - it's not the kind of songwriting you could showcase with an acoustic guitar. But then there have always been hit songs like that.

This is as much about sound design as anything else, coupled with a detailed collage of hooks to hold the listener's attention. It would be an interesting experiment if you could take a song like bohemian rhapsody and release it as a single now but without it ever having been heard before. Even if you made the production more 'modern' you could keep the arrangement the same. I wonder if the kids would go for it?