Im not a rock star

• 4 Replies

Katie Wilson

« on: May 11, 2018, 11:59:01 PM »
I don't know where all this comes from really , Ive been out tonight as Katie to a barn dance and there were a couple who are very good and had been going years I think only young but I think he had a real problem with me , I got it wrong a few times and I just got the vibes that he had an issue with me  and it spoilt my night for me a bit and I just wrote this

I'm not a rock star

I'm not a rock star
I drive an ice cream van
I'm not a lady
I was born a man

My head says one thing
my body another
why did I have to be born
somebody's brother ?

I'm not a rock star
I drive an ice cream van
I'm not a lady
I was born a man

I look at myself
in the mirror and cry
sometimes I want to
give up and die

I'm not a rock star
I drive an ice cream van
I'm not a lady
I was born a man

I question why nature
has to be so cruel
and I have to dress up
and look like a fool

I'm not a rock star
I drive an ice cream van
I'm not a lady
I was born a man

Fades
I'm not a rock star
I drive an ice cream van
I'm not a lady
I was born a man
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 03:15:03 PM by Katie Wilson »

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2018, 12:45:08 PM »
Katie, this made me cry. I'm so sorry this happened to you, but your writing is really moving.

Understand, though, that for every person who has a problem with you, there are countless more who don't, and who support you. Just look here, where your lyrics are turned into songs, and are so well received. You really can write.

I don't know if you think of it this way, but I knew a transgender woman who called her male anatomy her birth defect, and that helped me understand her a little better. But someone like that man last night might best be avoided. I'm glad you're safe.

I send you a big hug.

Lynn

Katie Wilson

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2018, 03:19:00 PM »
Thanks Lynn - I'm ok now I was quite upset at the time and I wanted to hurt myself like in the old days and drink until I couldn't stop, I'm ok now but am thinking twice about going back and if I do I probably won't dance - he was just a little s**t really but it still bothered me .

Vintage54

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 07:47:56 PM »

Hi There,
    Why did you choose "Rock star"? I would have said "I am not a dancer". But hey, it's your song. I notice you're very prolific, and post often. That's fine as far as i'm concerned, but i wonder if sometimes you post a little to quick. You have good idea's, but i think your output would benefit from a little more thought. But i like your song, and i wouldn't lose any sleep over the guy you mention, he's really not worth it.

Vintage54

Katie Wilson

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 12:35:41 AM »
Thanks Vintage you are probably right but it's just the way that I work - for the moment to catch that emotion feeling as it is , I probably get more bad lyrics than good but get bored re-writing a song - if it works it works if not it's not meant to be - I don't like to over think stuff