konalavadome

Mac or PC or something else?

• 17 Replies

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2018, 08:03:37 PM »
Hi Mickey, I think it's unlikely you'll get a concensus...Both Paulski and Neil are right kill naything you don't need, mine doesn't even have interent access....

cpm

Cawproductions

• Platinum Album
  • Producer, Engineer & Songwriter
    • AtticVibes Music Library
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2018, 04:18:08 PM »
Hi all.

Mac user here with Cubase pro. Also own Logic but not a fan. Dipped my toe and found myself going back to what I have been using for years, Cubase.

As for Mac and PC....that's a can of worms. I love Mac and came from a PC but I get where @tone is coming from. New ones are very expensive.
Recently my 2010 mac pro video card died, They dont make the card anymore and you have to buy that card that has been flashed for mac. Anyway, 150 bucks later for a second hand card...its working again.

Point of the story, had this been a PC, could have slotted any compatible card in and away I could have gone.

Would I jump ship to PC unless I have to.....No way..

But I do love Apple and, Yes I am a shallow label slave.

Cheers
Andy

Jenna

• Solo Gig
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2018, 06:54:23 PM »
This thread makes me wonder if anyone here is currently using a DAW in a Linux environment. I've been thinking of wiping my newest old laptop and installing kubuntu on it. I've never worked in Linux although I used to use a program in a Unix environment at work occasionally. Not much though.

Hiya Vic, I've installed and worked with Linux in the past. i found it to be a bit of a nightmare. Installing and running programs isn't as straightforward as it is with your typical GUI. It will teach you how much of that function we take for granted not having had to do it ourselves all of these years.

The biggest issues I had with it were the user files needing read five or six times to decipher directions clearly, if I ever did make heads or tails of them, many times not. In other words, it's extremely time consuming, and not for beginners or those with time constraints or impatient souls.

After my nightmarish experience with Win10 and audio recording, I'd be wary of the Linux experience, but that's just me. I'm truly a plug and play girl who wants everything to work the first time. I don't want to need a Master's degree as a sound engineer to get things working together properly.

Perhaps you're more adventurous, in which case, pioneer away! If you do, definitely consider it as a side project or side hobby to tinker with on occasion as a learning experience. I'd not want to dive in and have to fully rely on it, which was my approach because I was trying to rescue my only functioning laptop from Brickville using a bootable Linux USB stick.

I'd love to hear your experience with it if you do decide to give it a go. Maybe you'll become the forum Linux guru and guide us all from this bankrupting proprietary capitalist haven.