konalavadome

Brancaster - A song about a hot day by the seaside

• 29 Replies

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« on: May 09, 2018, 07:58:36 PM »
Here's a song about our favourite place to go for a day by the Shore, there is nothing there but a beach toilet and place to buy ice creams....Hope you like it.

Driving down the Beach today
100 miles or so
Shells and Sea and clear blue sky
Today's the day to go
Found a spot
Nice enough
sorted right away
Coolbox down,windbreak up
Dinghies in the Bay

Sun
(heat me up)
Sea
(Such a shimmer)
Sky
(Today is me and you)

Fell asleep for an hour or so
Woke to find you gone
pickin' up shells with barefeet on
Return before too long
Packing up is such a chore
Towels all in a flap
Mallet, poles, papa's crocks
let's get heading back.

Ch
Solo etc.

Ch

Ends at 2:30 - sorry (it was recorded a few years ago)

There's also a plaque to a poor little boy called Jake Parker that died in the treacherous tide there, what an awful drive home for his parents, I can't imagine how it must have been, un packing his sandy sandals and emptying his un-eaten picnic.

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 09:46:02 PM »
Yo cowparsleyman.

The overall style of the song appeals to me. I love folk to sing with their own accent,I always think it puts their individual stamp on a song.

Back in the day it was people such as Ray Davies,Syd Barrett and Bowie who championed this and thus allowed later artists like Blur to exploit the option.

The harmonies on the 'sun/sea sky parts added very much to the 60s vibe,which again connected with my nostalgia gene.

Very enjoyable listen.

Charming and unaffected. I may have left out that last 'ooh',but then again,it could be part of the innocent charm.  :D

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 10:27:09 PM »
Lovely sunny summer vibe @cowparsleyman  I like this as it has a  huge dose of honesty and raw feel which I think is so important in a song.  Loved the vocals with a bit of growl and great BV's which are one of my favourite things  :)
No need to amend / extend imo. It's just a great toon

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 06:55:26 AM »
Hi CPM,
That's a shiny upbeat feel good track you have there. I particularly like the way the chorus is (mostly) just three one-syllable words sung on the same note... that contrast with the busier verses works well. Enjoyed the guitar solo too.
Enjoyed it lyrically too, it paints an evocative picture of your day at the seaside. If I could offer one suggestion it would just be to tidy up the tenses in the lyrics... sometimes it's in the present (driving down, today's the day, let's get heading), sometimes its in the past (found a spot, fell asleep); not a big deal but I couldn't tell if you were expressing a memory or recounting it as it happens. I dig the stream of innocent images though, many people will relate to them. I'll check out Brancaster on the map. Sun's out here so I'll be listening to this again on my walk to work.
It's all too beautiful.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2018, 08:45:44 AM »
Thanks for the listen folk...

Brancaster is on the north coast of Norfolk, really tucked away, the car park attendant used to sit in a quilted caravan, he's still there many years later, he'll tell you the tide times too.

@PaulyX - Thanks Mr X - Yip your'e right I guess I should pay attention to those things, sometimes my words just splurge out onto the page via my pencil, without to much thought of the grammar, I thought about this for a bit, and it appears that I'm recounting different parts of the day...Todays the day...in the morning....fell asleep for an hour...later int he afternoon, after my picnic of cold chicken and a boiled egg, packet of salt and vinegar...lets get heading back, sunburn and sandy towels...Really chuffed you liked it. btw my favourite Sunny Day song is by Ralph McTell and is called 'One Sunny Day' - I play it on my walk to work along the river, and it just doesn't sound right on a cloudy day..

With the Chorus, I wanted the main things about my day out to be held (accentuated), while the description of them was in the the BVox, it kinda worked...

@pompeyjazz - Thanks for your opinion, and comments, really appreciate them.

@skub - Cheers Man, I'm just a guitarist that sings a bit, don't think my voice is any good, but if others like it that's fine. I can't/don't want to sing in a  different accent, if I want an American accent I get an American to sing.

Never thought that it was a '60's vibe, but I kinda see that now.

...and Billy Bragg

Katie Wilson

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2018, 09:43:42 AM »
Hi Cowparsleyman I enjoyed this a nice reminiscing song that that takes you back.lovely and cheerful but makes me sad a bit because you know them days are gone - childhood memories (are we there yet - nicely sung as well ) really nice song and story
Good guitars and rhythm as well bounces along nicely

Thanks Katie xxx

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2018, 10:11:16 AM »
@Katie Wilson - Thanks for the comments, Katie; those days aren't gone, one can always go to the Shore and drop ice creams in the sand, never to old to be always young.

Glad you like the axes, bounces like a fishing boat on a choppy Sea.

cpm

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2018, 01:34:08 PM »
Hi @cowparsleyman , well I hoped you managed to get there last Bank Holiday Monday, which was gorgeous weather, an occasional occurrence in the UK it seems - but this track would be a great accompaniment to such days.

I particularly like how you have used those single lined chorus elements around which to add your harmony counter melody, plus I think that solo is pretty cool too.

The song really bounces along after the beat kicks in post Chorus1, and perhaps my only comment on structure would be as the song is only short, maybe it needs to kick in right from the start - make it a short and snappy summer blast, start to finish. Just a thought, of course, and I'm sure others may feel differently. But yes, I enjoyed this one, right on the money for what you set out to do!
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2018, 01:46:10 PM »
@MichaelA - Nope, I didn't manage to get to Brancaster,  I sat in the Garden and stared at the hole in the Ozone layer. I think the thought of being snarled up in the Tescos queue of cars all looking for solitude kinda puts me off.

Glad you like the piece. I guess it is short, just before I'm happy with a master, I try it a bit faster, and very often it sits much better, from OK to toe-tapping, or with EDM tunes dance-worthy.

It does seem to get played in the car on the 2 sunny days we get here....

Thanks again Michael

cpm
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 02:47:07 PM by cowparsleyman »

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2018, 02:13:53 PM »
Nice one, CPM. Hints of the Beach Boys with the harmonies, but you kept it fresh and your own. Liked the guitar solo. Think everything works great on this one. Especially like the Sun Sky Sea part and the harmonies a lot. Definitely makes me want to go to the beach!

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2018, 02:48:09 PM »
@redrhodie - Thanks very much, really appreciate it, don't get burnt...

cpm

redrhodie

• Platinum Album

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2018, 06:58:58 PM »
Liked this one a lot Cowparsleyman. Its simple unpretentious songwriting. You should nof apologise for the length. It's the perfect length. Breezy, jolly and infectious. Great work. No nits

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2018, 07:08:39 PM »
@mickyplankton - Gee thanks Micky - so pleased you liked it, How did you know, it's always breezy there, and I wouldn't be surprised if the Sea would be infectious... :)

I couldn't think of a way to make it longer...

Thanks again

cpm

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2018, 10:22:00 AM »
Great stuff - it's just a good song. Everything hangs together and it conveys a scene and a feeling really effectively.

I would say I'm not a huge fan of "day-ee-yay" and "go-oh-woh" phrasing, just a small thing. But also a choice and perhaps gives it a more retro feel which really suits.

Nice!

(Surely one or two more "s"s missing from the chorus? Maybe for the punk drum challenge ... ;-)