If He's Happy

• 32 Replies

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2018, 04:12:50 PM »
Hi Lynn,

wow, your best performance and a great song. Its an established tradition in English folk of adding extra words when necessary so no arguments from me about you bending the melody to fit the lyrics.

Keith

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2018, 04:23:00 PM »
Hi Lynn,

wow, your best performance and a great song. Its an established tradition in English folk of adding extra words when necessary so no arguments from me about you bending the melody to fit the lyrics.

Keith

You do realize I know your ears are clogged. Haha. I'm glad you like it.

Whato Lynn

Super piece, yip the LVox are a tad off beam mostly at the beginning but that's OK, love the prod on it, the plain capo'd guitar makes a lot of space for the lyrics which I love the way they are crammed together, I'd bung more in to make the point that hey are supposed to be like that, to my ears it's a hook that one doesn't hear too often. This is very difficult to pull off and you've nailed it.

It has a lot of charm.

cpm

Thanks so much CPM, and for the comment about my paintings. That was too generous. Picasso indeed. Haha.

I had sent this to Keith to listen to thinking I'd be redoing the vox, but he liked it as it was, off pitch and all, and convinced me to leave it. I'm glad the consensus is that it's not too awful. It's hard for me to listen to, but I see the point in showing it as it is. Hopefully it sounds sincere.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2018, 07:13:49 PM »
Hi Lynn, it's not off by much, and certainly not awful, it's just not radio accurate, I think Melodyne helps iron such small things out.

That's what I like about it, it's sincere on a plate, (that's not so easy to either) and I really dig those crammed words, really neat how you did that.

As a fellow painter, those things take a long time to do (well they did for me hoho)

cpm (crap painter man)

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2018, 08:47:03 PM »
Haha, that's not what I thought CPM stood for. That one took me a few hours, but I work small.

Curious about yours. I have an art thread in the social area on the Justin Guitar forum. You're welcome to post your paintings there if you want to.

The invitation is open to anyone else who makes visual art. I'd love to see it.

Darren1664

• Platinum Album
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2018, 03:45:19 PM »
Hey Lynn

I think it's a lovely laid back tune. Well played and sung. I get the extra syllables thing others have mentioned but understand your reservation in changing them, there would be some subtle but important changes in meaning. My only thought to tighten the lyrics up would be to drop the He at the start of some of the lines

He has your back
sings you songs
gives you his soul
makes you whole

gives you his gifts
tells you his secrets
He's there when you need him
And you always need him

You get the gist! but that's just me being nit picky here because it is lovely and work as is.

It'll be nice to hear the band version and how that differs. This is the second you and your guitar song I have heard and both really work. I'm sure there will be more down the line

All the best

Darren

refusedrevival

• Solo Gig
    • Refused Revival
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2018, 05:37:31 PM »
Hi,

I'm not a fan of guitar and man/woman types of songs. I would like to hear the full band version.
Anyway really nice vocal harmonies.

refusedrevival

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2018, 11:50:43 AM »
Hey Lynn

I think it's a lovely laid back tune. Well played and sung. I get the extra syllables thing others have mentioned but understand your reservation in changing them, there would be some subtle but important changes in meaning. My only thought to tighten the lyrics up would be to drop the He at the start of some of the lines

He has your back
sings you songs
gives you his soul
makes you whole

gives you his gifts
tells you his secrets
He's there when you need him
And you always need him

You get the gist! but that's just me being nit picky here because it is lovely and work as is.

It'll be nice to hear the band version and how that differs. This is the second you and your guitar song I have heard and both really work. I'm sure there will be more down the line

All the best

Darren

Thanks Darren. I like that idea a lot. It tightens it up without changing the meaning. Good thinking. I'm really glad you like the acoustic songs. That guitar is having an impact on my playing, for sure.

Hi,

I'm not a fan of guitar and man/woman types of songs. I would like to hear the full band version.
Anyway really nice vocal harmonies.

refusedrevival

Fair enough. Hope you like the other one better, but it's okay if you don't like either. Thanks for listening.

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2018, 12:04:07 PM »
Hi Lynn

Sorry...I'm miles behind on my reviewing  :-[

This is super...you vocals are always a real treat and I think this is your best yet. There's a lovely youthful feel to your voice...sweet and full of charm. Mixed with the gentle musical treatment and the cute but clever lyric, it's a bewitching combination.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2018, 12:28:56 PM »
Hi Lynn,

Liked this a lot.
Very nice vocals - strong chorus.

The band version will be good to hear.
Perhaps an hybrid version that links both versions - stripped into full band?

The thing with this version is...
And I think you should design a T-shirt saying...

"Where's Keith?"  :D

Really nice.

Digger

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2018, 09:11:26 PM »
Hi Lynn

Sorry...I'm miles behind on my reviewing  :-[

This is super...you vocals are always a real treat and I think this is your best yet. There's a lovely youthful feel to your voice...sweet and full of charm. Mixed with the gentle musical treatment and the cute but clever lyric, it's a bewitching combination.

No problem on the tardiness, Paul. Reviews are at your discretion, but always appreciated. No pressure from me! Thanks for saying I sound  youthful. I got a digit older yesterday and it's nice to hear that at least I sound young.

Hi Lynn,

Liked this a lot.
Very nice vocals - strong chorus.

The band version will be good to hear.
Perhaps an hybrid version that links both versions - stripped into full band?

The thing with this version is...
And I think you should design a T-shirt saying...

"Where's Keith?"  :D

Really nice.

Digger

Thanks Digger! "Where's Keith?", indeed. Not my choice that he's not on this one. I sent him what I thought was a preliminary idea that we'd further develop, and he mixed it. That's why my flat singing is all his fault. Haha. But we should definitely make that t shirt. It should also say "feel free to ignore me" on it. Haha.

Thanks for commenting. I'm glad you liked it!

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2018, 09:52:21 PM »
Hi Lynn. Sorry for taking so long to review this. Had to listen a few times to form a fixed opinion. I LOVE the verse. I LOVE your vocals - Reminds me of Louise Wener (remember her? ). Being critical, i think the verse is far stronger than the chorus - which is a little weak lyrically and melodically. That said, if you evolve this into a full band project it could really shine, but the chorus as i say needs some kind of lift. Maybe a fuller sound and a supporting melody from brass, strings or piano could help you develop it/. In contrast, i would stick with the verse as is, and maybe even with full band just have it as 1 vocal and 1 acoustic. Then get everything kicking in for the chorus. Cheers, Mike

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2018, 12:58:27 AM »
Hi Lynn. Sorry for taking so long to review this. Had to listen a few times to form a fixed opinion. I LOVE the verse. I LOVE your vocals - Reminds me of Louise Wener (remember her? ). Being critical, i think the verse is far stronger than the chorus - which is a little weak lyrically and melodically. That said, if you evolve this into a full band project it could really shine, but the chorus as i say needs some kind of lift. Maybe a fuller sound and a supporting melody from brass, strings or piano could help you develop it/. In contrast, i would stick with the verse as is, and maybe even with full band just have it as 1 vocal and 1 acoustic. Then get everything kicking in for the chorus. Cheers, Mike

Thanks Mike. That's very helpful about the chorus. I'll have to look up Louise Wener. I don't know her. Cool. I love finding new people I sound like.

Thanks again, everyone. We'll take your comments into consideration for the next version.

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2018, 10:10:39 AM »
Lovely gentle song, reminded my of Elliot Smith in the chorus a bit which is always a good thing.

Love the chorus melody, it's got just enough melancholy. One thing is that the words trip up in the chorus a bit.
I would have either lost/changed some of the words or made room in the melody for them.
As it is they sound crammed in a bit.

Tis a good tune, good sentiment. Great stuff.

Katie Wilson

« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2018, 04:38:16 PM »
Hi Lynn I haven't read what anyone else says so I won't be swayed - a gentle song - simple uncomplicated lyrics , well sung I thought - with some echoing but it's a nice simple song that works - I would have liked it a bit longer maybe with perhaps a riff or something or instrumental on the guitar taking you further away into the zone

Nice though
Katie xxx

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2018, 12:50:57 PM »
Lovely gentle song, reminded my of Elliot Smith in the chorus a bit which is always a good thing.

Love the chorus melody, it's got just enough melancholy. One thing is that the words trip up in the chorus a bit.
I would have either lost/changed some of the words or made room in the melody for them.
As it is they sound crammed in a bit.

Tis a good tune, good sentiment. Great stuff.

Thanks so much. I'm glad you liked it. That's the second time this week I've been compared to Elliot Smith. Hope things turn out better for me than it did for him.

Hi Lynn I haven't read what anyone else says so I won't be swayed - a gentle song - simple uncomplicated lyrics , well sung I thought - with some echoing but it's a nice simple song that works - I would have liked it a bit longer maybe with perhaps a riff or something or instrumental on the guitar taking you further away into the zone

Nice though
Katie xxx

Thanks Katie. I'm glad you thought it worked. Means a lot coming from you.