best site for sound quality

• 21 Replies

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« on: November 08, 2011, 03:23:40 PM »
whats the best site to upload your music to... weve got reverbnation & soundclick accounts but the sound quality breaks my heart partricularly on reverbnation after all the time you spend getting it to sound good... dyou know what i mean?
converting to mp3 knocks the stuffing out of it first then you upload it somewhere & they compress it & degrade it & it sounds crap
id like to post some music here  ;D  
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 06:20:15 PM »
I always think soundcloud has fairly good sound quality, as does youtube if you can be arsed to make a 'video' (my videos are a plain coloured tile!).

What settings are you using to convert to mp3?
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Dutchbeat

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 06:26:37 PM »
hey, hey... Tone trying to make some sort of video can be fun...

and a plain tile is good enough as well...

but i am off topic, sorry

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 08:09:23 PM »
we use razorlame (i think thats what its called) to make an mp3 & keep it to 128 kbs cos isnt that what the websites want & if you make anything better they convert it back down
youtube has always been a nightmare for our videos they always upload with video & audio out of sync
ive heard a lot of people moaning about soundcloud so we never even looked at it

mihkay

• Platinum Album
  • Tune first....Lyrics long, long way second.
    • Mihkay Demos
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 09:31:47 AM »
I have no authority or standing here, only opinions. :-)

Kafla

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 10:03:47 AM »
I cant see past soundcloud

PLUS

Its the only one that works on ipad so unfortunately I cant listen to any posts on any other site  :(

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 07:25:03 PM »
thanks for the other recomendations
i have to say that our song weve just posted here on soundclick i am actaually rather pleased for once with how it sounds.... but i havent a clue why it sounds so much better than others weve uploaded on soundclick before! unless theyve improved things?

estreet

• Solo Gig
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 03:46:30 PM »
I always use Soundcloud. The quality isn't perfect but it's not bad.
If you have a paid account you can change the sound file (ie: for a remix) but
keep the same link - therefore not losing your hits/likes/comments etc.
Youth & enthusiasm are no match for age and treachery.

Pez

• Open Mic
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 10:09:14 PM »
if you upload into music maker, stick a photo on it and then convert it into HD quality, you can upload to youtube and its still in good quality...

soundcloud is ace though but for some reason i dont use it enough...

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2012, 12:32:10 AM »
I have issues with Soundcloud that I don't seem to be able to fix. I use Firefox as my browser ( I'm assuming that firefox is the problem ) and if

I don't click on the play button, of the song I intend to listen to, within a second it doesn't work. So now I have started putting my stuff on

Soundclick. It's not Soundclouds fault I don't think so I still think Soundcloud is one of the best :)
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.

domstone86

• Open Mic
    • Facebook URL
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 01:46:59 PM »
I used to use Soundclick, and still try and upload my material there in case of issues with Soundcloud, but the API, sound quality, community, ease of use, downloads etc really put Soundcloud on the top of my list.

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 06:37:50 PM »
I use reverbnation. I am also on soundcloud though.
I prefer the community on reverbnation. It is a lot easier to find new, unsigned music on there, and people tend to commicate with each other which is cool. And the ranking system provides a mild yet addictive "gameification" to the online promoting thing (for better or for worse!)   :)

RE sound quality
I posted this recently on my studio's facebook page. It may be useful for people on here too!:

"Useful knowledge here for all you musicians with music on streaming sites: It transpires that a lot of these streaming services work at 128kbps. I have just replaced a bunch of my work on Reverbnation at this rate. My MP3s were at the higher rate of 192, which one would think would sound better! Alas, this created dithering and distortion when streamed due to the algorithms used to convert to the songs to the correct bitrate. At the lower rate everything is MUCH better sounding. Always check the uploaded files on the service itself, and bear in mind this little piece of info. I now keep work as full sized wavs, high bitrate MP3 and 128kbs for online services. Class dismissed!"

Also,converting to MP3 should, I say SHOULD, have only a very small detrimental effect on sound quality. If you use the right encoders and bit rate, you should sound like near CD quality. If the quality drops significantly, re-evaluate HOW you are converting and also my advice above. If it sounds good offline, but the stream is naff, it is not the MP3, it is the site's algorithms...

Also, unmastered or badly mastered songs will suffer more from conversion to MP3. Nowt much you can do there....

There are other variables, but that will do for today

Hope I have helped :)
www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, 10:31:04 PM »
hehe Thanks teach  ;D
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.

domstone86

• Open Mic
    • Facebook URL
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2012, 07:58:43 AM »
The main thing stopping me from using Reverbnation is the file size limit. I think it's either 8mb or 10mb. Basically, if you have a 4 minute song, you can't upload a bitrate higher than 256kbps.

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2012, 08:48:26 AM »
The main thing stopping me from using Reverbnation is the file size limit. I think it's either 8mb or 10mb. Basically, if you have a 4 minute song, you can't upload a bitrate higher than 256kbps.

I just dont like the look of the place...so over crowded and confusing looking. And an awful colour scheme :D I much prefer soundcloud for hosting as it can be integrated with almost anything; whatever other website you have, it's pretty easier to embed/post soundcloud clips.