konalavadome

NEW: Drum Challenge Spring 2018...everyone welcome!

• 116 Replies

Binladeda

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2018, 12:24:13 PM »

OK ;D ;D .  I've got it, and will start throwing things at it as soon as ;D ;D
 See you all in May ;D ;D

Great idea btw Paul ;D

Nowt as queer as folk...........my gran

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2018, 11:06:16 PM »
How are all you guys getting on with the challenge?  Don't forget it's open to all. Would be great to hear some stuff from some new members and if anybody would like any help please give me a shout

Bill Saunders

• Platinum Album
    • https://soundcloud.com/bill-saunders
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2018, 08:23:16 AM »
I think the word "challenge" is well chosen! I have finished recording my song, I just need to mix it now. The drum beat is absolutely awesome and I loved playing along to that. It's nothing like anything else I have done, which has made it worthwhile in itself. The breakdown was difficult, in that I found it hard to come up with something that fitted in with the rest of the song, but anyway, it's done.

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2018, 08:56:39 AM »
Excellent...well done, folks!

It’s a great driving beat...the story goes that “topper” once got sacked from a band for playing too quietly (I think he was quite a more orthodox, jazz-influenced drummer) so when he joined a punk band, he divided to give the drums some hammer. I think this was his first proper recording with the band.

My clash-style one that sparked the idea for the drum challenge

http://www.songwriterforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=15145.0

was, I think, much easier for me because I know the original song so well.

It is quite a challenge...so I take my hat off to anyone who gives it a go  :)
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2018, 01:19:11 PM »
Got a song that nearly matches the beat, hurrah!

It is now screaming at me "what would John Lydon do now?". You have been warned!

(It is definitely NOT a love song...)

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2018, 01:29:38 PM »
Great stuff, Adam...unleash the hounds  :P
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2018, 02:09:10 PM »
With it being a proper,real live drummer keeping time,the beat does wander a fair bit here and there. For those of us who've become accustomed to the regular beats of robot skin bashers,makes for harder work. You can't just cut bits from here and there and use them elsewhere,because they won't fit! No cheating/shortcuts allowed. :D

It brought it home to me,just how lazy I've become when recording,I'm not used the past couple of years to playing a part all the way through to keep time with the noise maker! Once I settled into the new/old routine,it was like good old live playing or jamming. Maybe it'll even bring a degree of spontaneity to the track.

Btw,I'm sure I don't need to tell any of you Grannies how to suck eggs,but if you think the 170bpm is fast,you can craft a song at half that speed which will still fit the drum track...just saying,it doesn't have to be frantic punk if yer not led that way.  ;)

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2018, 03:35:39 PM »
This Grannie doesn't have a bass guitar or a midi controller so I've done two versions of the drum track.....one stretched to go at 170bpm fixed tempo and one with a tempo map.....took a while but easier to 'create' a bass track. I'm hoping (through extensive note-taking) to be able to unstretch it all back to its original 'wild' tempo or use my guitar as a midi controller to do the bass - might have to use a different DAW for this.....or go with the tempo map (harder to move stuff around)

So I've got a song and fitted it - moved the chorus parts - got a very rough version....now to decide which way to finally do it....and to do it of course...and to mix it.....4 weeks should be enough though this will be fast work for me!
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2018, 04:38:43 PM »
Sounds scarily convoluted for a man of my meagre skillz,young Cramer!  :D

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2018, 11:00:46 PM »
Yeah. The whole experience of playing a whole song with a "Real" drummer has been illuminating. Long time since I did that. Cut and paste no workee. Blimey @Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra You have been getting right on down to it. There is no way I could do that but I could play bass for you if you want  :)

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2018, 05:34:38 AM »
That's a mighty kind offer John and I might well call on you when I've got the shape and method sorted out......don't quite know what I'm going to do yet....makes my head hurt thinking about it.

The tempo map thing isn't hard to do just takes time. Contrary to my normal practice I'm actually trying to get stuff sorted out before I dive into it to hopefully make things easier later on.....making notes....crikey!

I'll let you know how I'm getting on in a couple of weeks. Maybe some backing vocals/harmonies as well?

Cheers!
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2018, 08:05:07 PM »
I had a sit down with this today and have my rhythm guitars and bass done  ;D

No idea where the melody or lyrics are going to take me! - but I really like my bare bones rhythm track (and I have no idea if they sound like the original track or not!?!?!)

The drums are very "live" with the bpm raising from 169 at the beginning to 179 at the end!!! - great fun

To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2018, 09:00:39 PM »
Yep. It's an absolute hoot this one. Especially with the variable bpm. Would encourage anybody who hasn't had a go to go for it

Martinswede

• Platinum Album
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2018, 08:01:59 PM »
I've written one song so far that doesn't agree withe the drums.
Maybe I should write one that does.