Best Guitar Solo ever

• 35 Replies

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2018, 01:33:18 PM »
In 2012, I saw Wilco play at Newport Folk Festival. I had just finished radiation treatment and was at a physically low point, really fatigued and worn out. I went alone, rode my bike there (I'm very stubborn), unprepared for the pouring rain. That's a long way of saying where I was mentally and physically that day. I don't know if that's why when Nels Cline played the solo during Impossible Germany, I experienced what I think was euphoria. I can't really describe it, but it changed my life. It was the performance that inspired me to learn guitar. It made me see the impact music could have. Really mind blowing. You had to be there.

Actually the solo in the studio version of "Impossible Germany" came to mind for me, too. It's a head-spinner. Beautiful and obtuse at the same time. Absolutely amazing.
Starts around 2:30 but really gets going starting at about 4:00, and just builds and builds.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 01:35:13 PM by PopTodd »

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2018, 02:06:50 PM »
Some great contributions here. I'm (of course if anyone knows me) in the anti-guitar hero camp. I've never appreciated Clapton, and Slash even less. Though I have been known to dabble occasionally in Gilmour and Pretrucci.

Anyhow, here's not the best ever but one I've really liked for a while - just because of its uniqueness and memorability. If I'd done this in one of my songs, most would say "are you kidding?" but sometimes you need things that give songs a unique identity ("It's better to be new than good"...). The version on Youtube is not as good quality as on Spotify. (Starts at 2'52" - but of course don't start there).

Martinswede

• Platinum Album
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2018, 07:18:47 PM »
Great guitar @adamfarr ! Never heard the song before.
I'm kind of lukewarm when it comes to guitar solos.
But I like the 'Black Math' solo By White Stripes.
And that Dune Allman rocked.

Sterix

• Platinum Album
  • Devil may care, I do not!
    • Sterix Rocks!
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2018, 11:28:11 PM »
For me, not taking too long to think about it, would have to be the solo from Over The Hills and Far Away. I love this song, and have been lucky enough to hear it live once.

Two versions here - the Gary Moore original and (my favourite - at least with their current singer) a cover by Nightwish (guitar Emppu Vuorinen)

The former starts at 2.49 (guitar kicks in around 3.03).

The latter is with their original singer, Tarja (the night they fired her!). The guitarsolo really kicks in around 2.54, although the solo (synth first, then guitar) begins around 2.26

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2018, 11:53:37 PM »
Some great contributions here. I'm (of course if anyone knows me) in the anti-guitar hero camp. I've never appreciated Clapton, and Slash even less. Though I have been known to dabble occasionally in Gilmour and Pretrucci.

Anyhow, here's not the best ever but one I've really liked for a while - just because of its uniqueness and memorability. If I'd done this in one of my songs, most would say "are you kidding?" but sometimes you need things that give songs a unique identity ("It's better to be new than good"...). The version on Youtube is not as good quality as on Spotify. (Starts at 2'52" - but of course don't start there).

That was awesome!
Very cool solo but, more importantly, a great tune! I'm gonna search these guys out. Thanks for the heads-up on this one Adam!

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2018, 09:47:01 PM »
Great thread. Gonna check all these out.
Me, I like a Britpop guitar solo. Usually brief, slightly wonky and cliche free. I'll plump for Bernard Butler's in Suede's "Animal Nitrate". Or if I'm allowed 2, the one in "Can You Dig It?" by the Mock Turtles. Always gives me goose bumps.
Interesting no votes for Hendrix, unless I've missed 'em?
It's all too beautiful.

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2018, 10:15:37 PM »
Great thread. Mine would b3 Brian May in Brighton Rock

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2018, 10:53:52 PM »
Yep Micky. With you on that one. Seventies fave is on Kid by The Pretenders. 80s  agree that the Orange Juice solo takes some beating for effectiveness. 90s Some of the solos on The Bends by Radiohead are pretty amazing

David Christy Jones

• Open Mic
  • Shaping the air into beautiful sculptures.
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2018, 05:10:16 PM »
How interesting....

I thought Hendrix would be in there somewhere.

It's soooo difficult picking just one, but for me it has to be the first solo from Larry Carlton's 'Room 335' Studio version, it has everything.

I would also say that when I really nail a solo (you guitarists know that feeling), not just play one well, when people clap and other artists make nice comments afterwards, then for that night, that is the best ever solo, you go to sleep wondering how I did it.

Great to hear your views

@David Christy Jones - What's yours?

cpm

Depends if we're talking improv or not. For (technically) non improv it has to be Zappas Watermelon in Easter Hay or St Stephen by the Grateful Dead.

Overall for just live jam feel though, this - everytime:
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty.
Beauty is not love.
Love is not music.
Music is the best!

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2018, 02:58:05 PM »
My Vote for improv

John McLaughlin 'Phenomenon Compulsion' - he sounds out of breath at the end.....

I feel like saying to him, John, me ol mucker, go and have nice cup tea and a digestive, get Billy (Cobham) to pack yer lead away...

Don't think many of you will agree..... 8)

cpm

Jenna

• Solo Gig
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2018, 01:54:30 AM »
Thank goodness everyone appreciates a musical guitar solo. It has to be more than just shredding scales and heavy distortion for me. These are my two favorites. John Mayer covering All Along the Watchtower at 1:47 and 2:57 he does some great solos, but it's at 3:50 when they break it down that the best solo starts. I can't watch this and never watch the entire thing. He's worked up a decent sweat by the end.

And then there's the unforgettable musical outro in Layla that I'm not sure qualifies for a solo. I can't seem to find a version as good as the studio recording so I'll leave it at that.

The S

• Solo Gig
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2018, 10:49:09 AM »
Ok, I believe I need to step in and offer ya'll some guidance, you've obviously all been mislead into thinking you know what guitar playing is all about!?!?!  ;D ;D ;D

So without further ado, I present to you some real guitar playing. Solo #1 starts at 0.50 sort of...

Enjoy!  ;)

Davino

• Busker
  • I write poetry and song lyrics
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2018, 12:54:56 PM »
Get ready, because you have never heard a composition like this, AND, there is some awesome trampoline action(haha), give the tune a chance and you will be rewarded!!! The first major solo starts about 7:15 in, but the whole piece is amazing.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 12:58:50 PM by Davino »

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2018, 02:02:11 PM »
Ok, I believe I need to step in and offer ya'll some guidance, you've obviously all been mislead into thinking you know what guitar playing is all about!?!?!  ;D ;D ;D

So without further ado, I present to you some real guitar playing. Solo #1 starts at 0.50 sort of...

Enjoy!  ;)

Really enjoyed that, he loves playing and knitwear

Cpm

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2018, 02:33:55 PM »
Here is Larry Carlton playing a live version of Room 335.

I have to apologise for the flagrant use of Mullet, gurning, pointing into the crowd and sleeveless top with an awful logo. The rest of the band look a motley crew, and the song itself is very MOR, but I just love it, sorry.

btw here's Jess Ellis, she was something like 16 at the time, lordy dordy. if you just want the solo it's 1:30  on .... dig the scribbling her name on the strat, like a schoolgirl writing her name on her maths book cos, she doesn't follow differential equations.

It's always easier to rip off something that's been, so knock a few marks off, but still nice to see a great player.

hope you dig it

cpm