konalavadome

Best Guitar Solo ever

• 35 Replies

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« on: April 26, 2018, 12:34:47 PM »
I'm interested to know what your favourite guitars solo ever is, but you can only pick one.

I'd like to know why you chose it...

Tough huh.

cpm

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 01:52:38 PM »
The second solo on "Pablo and Andrea" by Yo La Tengo.
Now, the solo starts at around 2:45, but to get the full power of the thing, you really need to listen to the entire song.
Why?
Because, you see, this is not my favorite solo because of any technical prowess or anything, but because it does exactly what a solo is supposed to to: it takes the song to the next level, emotionally. It's all about the song, as everything should be.
You see, as the song lulls you in to its hazy world for 2:44 or so, when the solo kicks in, building upon the main riff, and then skittering off from it with heaps of fuzz, it just... elevates. Everything.
Ira Kaplan is a musician that understands, intuitively, how music works on an emotional level. And he just lets himself go there.
Gives me chills.
Transcendental.
Listen:

Darren1664

• Platinum Album
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 06:18:34 PM »
but because it does exactly what a solo is supposed to to: it takes the song to the next level, emotionally. It's all about the song, as everything should be.

This is exactly how I feel about guitar solos and the like. If it doesn't fit with and add something to a song then what's it doing there. Like everything else in a song a guitar solo should express something. Some are better at it than others - it would be amazing to have the ear skills to play as if it were another language.

My guitar hero's are quite obvious. Slash for one. Dave Gilmore, Mark Knopfler, Brian May, Dimebag Darrell, Eric Clapton....fairly household names I should think. None on that list are technical virtuosos but for me they all have a style and ability to express a feeling/emotion, that some virtuosos lack.

I couldn't pick a favourite guitar solo but a favourite guitar player I would say Slash. I think his phrasing is second to none.

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 06:26:11 PM »
but because it does exactly what a solo is supposed to to: it takes the song to the next level, emotionally. It's all about the song, as everything should be.

This is exactly how I feel about guitar solos and the like. If it doesn't fit with and add something to a song then what's it doing there. Like everything else in a song a guitar solo should express something. Some are better at it than others - it would be amazing to have the ear skills to play as if it were another language.

My guitar hero's are quite obvious. Slash for one. Dave Gilmore, Mark Knopfler, Brian May, Dimebag Darrell, Eric Clapton....fairly household names I should think. None on that list are technical virtuosos but for me they all have a style and ability to express a feeling/emotion, that some virtuosos lack.

I couldn't pick a favourite guitar solo but a favourite guitar player I would say Slash. I think his phrasing is second to none.

You see, my pick for best solo (above) is kinda the opposite of the styles of your favorite guitar players.
Nothing against those players; they're great. In fact, Knopfler is still one of my favorites. However, the style and approach of my solo is so... anti classic technique.
I am curious to know what you think of it. Have you given it a listen?
Like I said: you need to hear the whole song, or at least a good chunk of the lead in to the solo to really get its full power.
Please, check it out and let me know what you think -- if you can hear what I mean. I'm curious.

Darren1664

• Platinum Album
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 07:52:03 PM »

You see, my pick for best solo (above) is kinda the opposite of the styles of your favorite guitar players.
Nothing against those players; they're great. In fact, Knopfler is still one of my favorites. However, the style and approach of my solo is so... anti classic technique.
I am curious to know what you think of it. Have you given it a listen?
Like I said: you need to hear the whole song, or at least a good chunk of the lead in to the solo to really get its full power.
Please, check it out and let me know what you think -- if you can hear what I mean. I'm curious.

Yeah I've had a few listens now...it's a very good solo and for all the right reasons. It isn't a technical show off but you can tell that the ability is there and that the musician is using the solo to develop the song (I really like the tone of the guitar...it really helps to build the music at that point). It definitely isn't your classic solo and really appreciate that. I think the more familiar I get with the solo the more in into I'd get.

Just to add....the guitar throughout Dire Straits 'Brothers In Arms' is so beautiful it blows my mind. I don't think they're technically difficult at all but they are so powerfully emotive. For me it's a perfect example of having ability but knowing how to use it.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 08:01:33 PM by Darren1664 »

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 08:07:18 PM »
Just to add....the guitar throughout Dire Straits 'Brothers In Arms' is so beautiful it blows my mind. I don't think they're technically difficult at all but they are so powerfully emotive. For me it's a perfect example of having ability but knowing how to use it.

Oh, I think that a lot of that 'Brothers In Arms' stuff IS really difficult. Not all of it, but he has a tricky style that you can really only pull off, with his weird fingerpicking technique. And not everyone is capable of that kind of picking.
He's amazing.

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2018, 08:07:45 PM »
And I'm glad that you dug the Yo La Tengo solo.

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2018, 08:31:42 PM »
I am going to have to select 2

This is one of my all time favourites for tone and feel

The first solo starts at 4:52 and the first note is probably the single best note I have EVER heard a guitar make!!!!

The second solo starts at 9:06 and the build it has is something else

There is another performance from this run of shows with video of him playing but his particular performance of this song gives me goose bumps EVERY time - it is just perfection IMHO

I couldn't leave Mr Prince out of a guitar solo thread!

My all time favourite Prince solo is this one starting at 2:36

At the start he does more with one note than I have sen many not achieve in a career!!!!

The touch, groove and feel of the playing is just immense - and then he pulls off some amazing Jazz / modal licks

And as an extra "it is my forum so I will post a third"...

Many sight Prince's "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" solo at his and George Harrison's induction into the Rock & Roll hall of fame as one of the best guitar solos

I like the story behind it more...

Apparently at the one rehearsal this is what happened when Prince showed up - as recounted by Joel Gallen - the producer of the Hall Of Fame show:

"He says hello to Tom and Jeff and the band. When we get to the middle solo, where Prince is supposed to do it, Jeff Lynne’s guitar player just starts playing the solo. Note for note, like Clapton. And Prince just stops and lets him do it and plays the rhythm, strums along. And we get to the big end solo, and Prince again steps forward to go into the solo, and this guy starts playing that solo too! Prince doesn’t say anything, just starts strumming, plays a few leads here and there, but for the most part, nothing memorable.

They finish, and I go up to Jeff and Tom, and I sort of huddle up with these guys, and I’m like: “This cannot be happening. I don’t even know if we’re going to get another rehearsal with him. [Prince]. But this guy cannot be playing the solos throughout the song.” So I talk to Prince about it, I sort of pull him aside and had a private conversation with him, and he was like: “Look, let this guy do what he does, and I’ll just step in at the end. For the end solo, forget the middle solo.” And he goes, “Don’t worry about it.” And then he leaves. They never rehearsed it, really. Never really showed us what he was going to do, and he left, basically telling me, the producer of the show, not to worry. And the rest is history. It became one of the most satisfying musical moments in my history of watching and producing live music."

Here is the performance, which makes me laugh every time I see Prince lurking in the background until the solo - Dhani Harrison's face is an absolute picture of happiness for what must have been an emotional night for him

The solo starts at 3:26

Rumour has it the guitar is still in orbit as it never comes down after he throws it at the end!!!

Enjoy

« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 08:34:37 PM by Boydie »
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Ashes for Dreams

• Busker
    • Official Homepage
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2018, 08:33:13 PM »
Easy! A young Yngwie with Alcatrazz on Jet to Jet. The solo actually starts a little before my fav part at 2.13 (but I view that as a pre-solo  :))
Speed, melody and TONE in perfect matrimony.

=2m13s
ashesfordreams.com
soundcloud.com/ashesfordreams
facebook.com/ashesfordreams
youtube.com/channel/UCB4f9GngKS_mhLKyk5Nptnw

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2018, 08:45:06 PM »
I agree with the general consensus that "the best guitar solo" has nothing to do with being "the best guitarist"

Some great choices - I don't usually like "fuzz" style tones but I loved the Yo La Tengo track & solo

Yngwie is one of my favourite "super shredders" as he has a smoother tone and better phrasing than Satriani and Vai

I also really like Guthrie Govan who is a really versatile player
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2018, 09:05:17 PM »
You crazy cats  ::)

The answer is - of course - this one...from about 2:23 and it lasts about 10 seconds

heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Bill Saunders

• Platinum Album
    • https://soundcloud.com/bill-saunders
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2018, 09:30:16 PM »
Often guys who can play very quickly, er shredders, are accused of having no feel. It's not always the case. My favourite guitarist of all time is probably John Petrucci of Dream Theater. Their stuff is complex and demanding at times, but this one is very accessible - the solo that starts at about 2.24 contains a couple of amazing runs - fast but so, so melodic - beautiful.

Johnnyuk

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2018, 11:06:15 PM »
Hi,
Guitar solo's for me (and in this instance i am talking only about new song demo's in here) they only have a place in a song if it is needed for that song.
Sadly for me when hearing song demos with solo's in them they are there simply because someone can play them well so they have to include them in EVERY song they create even when the song does not require them at all. IMO. Just because you can play an amazing guitar solo does NOT mean it has to be in EVERY song that you write. IMO. Many songs do not require a guitar solo from you. Less is more. etc Let the song dictate what is included.
Johnny :)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 11:11:27 PM by Johnnyuk »

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2018, 08:38:57 AM »
How interesting....

I thought Hendrix would be in there somewhere.

It's soooo difficult picking just one, but for me it has to be the first solo from Larry Carlton's 'Room 335' Studio version, it has everything.

I would also say that when I really nail a solo (you guitarists know that feeling), not just play one well, when people clap and other artists make nice comments afterwards, then for that night, that is the best ever solo, you go to sleep wondering how I did it.

Great to hear your views

@David Christy Jones - What's yours?

cpm

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2018, 01:13:39 PM »
In 2012, I saw Wilco play at Newport Folk Festival. I had just finished radiation treatment and was at a physically low point, really fatigued and worn out. I went alone, rode my bike there (I'm very stubborn), unprepared for the pouring rain. That's a long way of saying where I was mentally and physically that day. I don't know if that's why when Nels Cline played the solo during Impossible Germany, I experienced what I think was euphoria. I can't really describe it, but it changed my life. It was the performance that inspired me to learn guitar. It made me see the impact music could have. Really mind blowing. You had to be there.