konalavadome

Anyone still like country out there?

• 14 Replies

Miss Stagefright

• Busker
« on: April 26, 2018, 01:57:24 AM »
I need some help writing some country songs, I having trouble finding inspiration, and I'm getting on a plane this friday and I something to pass the time. If you wanna help just comment inspiration, a first lyric, or a scenario. Thanks! <3

—stagefrightsinger

Oldbutyet

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2018, 01:01:27 PM »
I need some help writing some country songs, I having trouble finding inspiration, and I'm getting on a plane this friday and I something to pass the time. If you wanna help just comment inspiration, a first lyric, or a scenario. Thanks! <3

—stagefrightsinger

Well you probably already done that plane journey so that's the first part over with  ;)  are you really looking for inspiration if so then check out the lyric section i'll name three that come's to mind, Benjo Vintage54 Hardtwistmusic, there are a few more, welcome to the journey  8)

Jenna

• Solo Gig
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 02:20:12 AM »
What got me started writing again was listening to country music, mainly folk music written by Lori McKenna. She's a much sought after songwriter by Nashville stars. Her style is described as turning the ordinary and mundane into something extraordinary and magical. She's written quite a few hits. I like her voice, too. It's got this unique squeaky quality to it that I find charming and unrefined in a way that enhances her song lyrics.

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 01:05:43 PM »
I write some country music from time to time. I like that is stops me being complicated with the musical elements and makes me really focus on the quality of the lyrics.

It is one of the few types of music where they are still buying songs from writers it seems.

Panamaya

• Busker
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 07:55:18 AM »
I agree with your information and think that is good information.

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 08:36:55 AM »
I wouldn't say I was ever a country fan but I recently binge watched the whole of NASHVILLE and now I am totally hooked!!

It is not a genre I usually write but would love to

I have a long running Collab on an all out "Country Pop/rock" with @montydog that I must pull my finger out on as I am LOVING how it is sounding but got distracted with other things so I really need to knuckle down and progress it because the ball is a bit stuck in my court at the moment!!
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2018, 09:28:07 AM »
I'm probably one of the biggest country fans on here. I've been in an acoustic country/bluegrass/Americana band for the past 7 years and I write a lot of country songs. I love the Nashville series also although the music is a little country lite for my tastes. As a songwriter, I would struggle to write for the current taste which is relentlessly upbeat and celebratory. Until the advent of the devil-made-flesh that is Garth Brookes, country was the white man's blues - now it's just pop music with a funny accent! My songs are too downbeat for commercial consideration but Boydie has been steering me to the light with the collab he mentions. Time to wheel that song out into the sunlight  8)

M

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2018, 10:41:38 PM »
Country is such a vast genre - some of it I love, some I can't abide - but pretty much all my songs could be described as country. I think it's a great genre to write in and I hope you got something good down on that plane flight!
West Country Country Boy

Jenna

• Solo Gig
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2018, 04:24:59 PM »
Is there much of a country following in the UK? I grew up on it and was surprised to find as an adult how much of it crosses over into pop. It always has crossed over to the pop charts. I think Crosby, Stills and Nash, are a good example, as is the Grateful Dead. They added a lot of country elements to their music which made it more pop friendly for the top 40 crowd. The country music of the 90s was great stuff. It broke out of the mold that originally turned most people against it, the down in the mouth, whining man crying in his beer. I was glad to see it take that turn, but what they're currently making for the younger crowd tends to rub me the wrong way a bit. I can't put it into words too well, but it's sort of like planting a skyscraper in a wildlife refuge, the way they're mixing urban and country elements. It's like wearing orange and black plaid pants with a hot pink and white polka dot top. It's like pouring oil on water and expecting it to dissolve into a mixture. It's a sudden clash of sensory categories that you'd never expect and think WTH whenever you hear it for the first few times. I can't say that I've yet developed a taste for it, but I"m usually slow to come around on these things. By the time I get there, the world has moved onto its next phase. I like both genres, but have trouble enjoying the blended versions.

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2018, 07:50:10 AM »
One of my favourite musical terms describes the fusion of Country and Hip Hop to form...

Hick Hop

;D 8) ;D
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2018, 03:38:23 PM »
I always feel I should like country - authentic lyrics and emotions in songs always appeal to me, but it's always been a sonic thing which didn't (slide guitars, banjos, mandolins ...). So maybe some of the alt country type styles could be more up my street. "Urban country" just sounds wrong though...
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 05:19:55 PM by adamfarr »

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2018, 03:53:42 PM »
Hmmm seems like the OP has gone MIA.
Oh well - I hated country when in my teens - it was so un-cool!
I've warmed up to it in the last 10 years - but I still can't listen to top - 40.
A lot of it sounds like old formula pop gone sour to me  ;D ;D

Jenna

• Solo Gig
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2018, 06:27:39 PM »
One of my favourite musical terms describes the fusion of Country and Hip Hop to form...

Hick Hop

;D 8) ;D

Yes! LOL Very funny. They advertise for songs that way, too.

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2018, 02:47:34 PM »
I like Country.
Although, not the current mainstream version of Country. More of a Gram Parsons/Johnny Cash/Willie Nelson/Steve Earle/etc. kinda guy.
But I do write a lot of stuff these days with those kinds of leanings.

https://hoponpop.bandcamp.com/track/if-you-knew
https://hoponpop.bandcamp.com/track/you-wrote-this-song

If those are the kinds of things that you think you are into doing, then yes.

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2018, 05:51:22 PM »
I love country music. I attended a concert at The Atkinson Theatre in Southport to see 'Blue County' last Saturday evening. I googled them and thought they sounded quite good so  I bought tickets. I bumped into them in the centre of town before the event and said hello. They opened up with a great song and I remembered a lyric that I really liked "I just wanted you to know who I am". At the end of the night, they signed a CD for my son who collects autographs.  The message on the CD cover reads - "To Tom, I just wanted you to know who I am."  He's going to love it!

Paul
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 06:00:40 PM by Wicked Deeds »