Mac or PC or something else?

• 17 Replies

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« on: April 25, 2018, 10:29:42 PM »
Hey all,

Curious to know what hardware/operating systems you favour and whether you have a DAW that is compatible across platforms. Which systems are the best for colabs and sharing files etc.

My biggest challenge is getting my head around all the various options. Im thinking of starting again with a new interface as my Ipad 2 is packing up, low on memory, isnt compatible with new OS or versions of Garageband (my only DAW) and if im going to continue songwriting im going to have to move on sooner rather than later.

I know this topic is never ending but any fresh observations welcome.

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 10:35:55 PM »
Hi Micky

I’ve always been a Mac and GarageBand user...and always been happy with both, but I think the gap between Mac and PC has been closing for a very long time and the prices haven’t reflected that...so I’d probably go for a PC running Reaper.

heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 10:50:58 PM »
Hi Micky

I’ve always been a Mac and GarageBand user...and always been happy with both, but I think the gap between Mac and PC has been closing for a very long time and the prices haven’t reflected that...so I’d probably go for a PC running Reaper.

Thanks Paul. interesting you also use Garageband. I recently got a macbook air and i have Garageband installed there too but its totally different to the Ipad version> admittedly ive got an older version of Garageband on my Ipad but i know my way around that version really well. The Macbook version is a hard beast to get to grips with and putting me off sticking with it. What do you think of the latest version of Garageband?

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 11:05:48 PM »
Also a Mac user for the last 10 or so years, so I know Logic really well, and have invested quite a bit of money in hardware & mac compatible sample packs over the years.

Which used to be just fine, but the way Apple is going these days, I do wonder if I'll jump ship when my current rig finally dies. New Macs are non-upgradeable. And so expensive. If I'm going to spend good money on a computer, I want to be able to upgrade/ replace parts easily and by myself without giving Apple more silly money to either do it for me or replace the entire machine.

So I'd probably get a windows rig and run pro tools/ cubase. Running a current hackintosh isn't going to be an option within a couple of years either as Apple are developing their own proprietary chipset.

A friend of mine says that linux support for vst's and such is getting better all the time so I may look into that when the time comes. I'm running linux for everything else non-musical anyway.

As for collabs, I don't think platform really matters. So long as you know how to export midi, or stems, and the other person has important project info such as tempo and time signature, you can collaborate with someone running analogue gear if you want to :D
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 11:07:50 PM »
Yo Micky.

I started my DAW travels about 18 months ago using Garageband on an iMac. I had loads of help on here and also made good use of all the YouTube tutorials out there. Eventually I made the switch to Logic Pro X,which has a very similar platform to GB,so I wasn't starting again. This appealed to me,so I didn't really consider the PC option. Just laziness on my part!

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2018, 11:08:56 PM »
I do love it, really...it looks a bit like a toy...but I like the simple uncluttered layout, the stock plugins work pretty well, the drummer function is really great too. There are a few drawbacks...no midi export and rendering tracks is a real pain (though there are workarounds to get it done) for example...but everything I’ve done here was done in GarageBand and despite having 60 days with Reaper...and the fact that it is very very good, I’m happier with GB. I like to keep things simple. I don’t think I’ve ever used more than 10 tracks.

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2018, 11:15:46 PM »
Ps I bought Logic about 5 years ago, but after 3 years of ownership, apple stopped upgrades for it and brought out a new version. I couldn’t use the old version alongside GarageBand...so I was cordially invited to cough up again. Steve Jobs probably really died as a result of his wallet exploding.

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2018, 12:21:07 AM »
This thread makes me wonder if anyone here is currently using a DAW in a Linux environment. I've been thinking of wiping my newest old laptop and installing kubuntu on it. I've never worked in Linux although I used to use a program in a Unix environment at work occasionally. Not much though.

Lophophora

• Busker
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2018, 03:55:21 AM »
Macs used to be interesting when the best audio interfaces were only available with firewire connections. FW is now outdated and currently the trend is clearly to go with USB. So IMO it doesn't matter which one you choose from a performance perspective, I'd say go with the one you're more comfortable with. I choose PC because it is generally faster for the same price, and it allows you to upgrade hardware and tweak software specifically for audio latency.

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2018, 07:23:33 AM »
This thread makes me wonder if anyone here is currently using a DAW in a Linux environment. I've been thinking of wiping my newest old laptop and installing kubuntu on it. I've never worked in Linux although I used to use a program in a Unix environment at work occasionally. Not much though.
I tried it years ago Vicki and it was a massive pain in the bum. But I hear things have changed. I think Reaper is now available for linux (deb). You might need to install Jack to get your external devices working, but even that is a click or two to set up from what I've been told.

You could be the forum pioneer? Go out into the unknown and report back to us if the dragon doesn't eat you? :D
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2018, 08:13:19 AM »
I have always been a windows user with Cakewalk Sonar (which is windows only)

I recently switched DAW to Presonus Studio One 3 Professional but have stuck with windows as the "bang for buck" comparison and upgrade options compared with with Macs tip the balance for me

So far windows 7 and 10 have been really stable (touches wood!) so I do not think Inwould consider changing in the future
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2018, 09:29:53 AM »
I like using Windows. I think it's very much what one is used to, and if your not used to either then it comes down to what you want to do with it,

My biggest recommendation is to only have the software for your music production on it, nothing else, the more stuff you have on it, the less reliable it will be.

I use Windows 8.1 on Dell precision laptop, it's very fast indeed, and I enjoy using it.

For a DAW I use Magix Samplitude pro x3 suite, if you like techie things this is for you, if you don't then avoid it. What it does do is to make you future proof, it does so much that you'll never need to upgrade to a better version because it does it all.

Hope this helps Mickey

cpm

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2018, 01:31:53 PM »
I you're going Windows, go with dedicated optimised one for music. Loads of memory and disk space and it should be optimised for music and you A/D firewall thingy.
Performant, stable and secure is what you want.
Good luck
Neil
songwriter of no repute..

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2018, 02:08:01 PM »
I use Windows 10 - but I go into the task manager and kill any process that can be killed, and disable any process that can be disabled. Nothing worse than some stupid Windows program sh!tting over a section of audio in your DAW by running some background process while you're tracking IMHO.

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2018, 07:06:32 PM »
Thanks for all your thoughts people. Interesting that there is no consensus. Guess it's just personal taste and what is right for you. It's an important decision though because they soak so much time!