New competition ideas :-)

• 67 Replies

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« on: April 20, 2018, 01:18:46 PM »
Hello

I stumbled into making a suggestion for a new forum competition whereby we all write a new song around the same pre-determined drum track...

I recently used the drums from the clash’s “complete control” and had a whale (wail  :P) of a time doing it...

So...is anyone up for doing something along these lines?

It might be an idea simply to use the same drum track I did?

Or something more easy-listening?

I’m happy to run the competition (perhaps with a co-host) and could also provide a drum track...if a different one is required...

I’d also like to cheekily throw down a gauntlet to the mods on this one too...we rarely if ever get to hear their songs...would they be up for the challenge?  ;)

All thoughts very welcome!

heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 02:52:30 PM »
Paul,
I thinking we need a new summer competition. Whether thats the same one or not I dont know. I think the drum thing is a challenge I'm considering doing. But maybe a bit constraining in terms of wider forum participation, hence why they could be two things - a summer competition and a drum challenge?
Thoughts?
 :)
neil
songwriter of no repute..

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 03:23:45 PM »
I would be up for either format and can assist with the running of the competition if required

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 03:42:03 PM »
I'm up for either.....or both.
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 03:55:54 PM »
Like the idea. Would we be able to cut it up and mess with the tempo?

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 07:13:52 PM »
I had thought we’d keep the tempo and arrangement standard but I’m open to all suggestions...

I like Neil’s idea of having a more open-ended summer competition as well as a separate “drum challenge” competition for members who fancy a crack at something extra.

I’d do the drum challenge competition, perhaps with John @pompeyjazz if we can get maybe a dozen members up for it?

Mike67

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2018, 07:41:58 PM »
Up for anything. ;D

Martinswede

• Platinum Album
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2018, 07:53:35 PM »
I'm working with midi drums for the first time on a new track. It's a mess. Must be five years since I played with a (real human) drummer. It looked easy.

I think your idea sounds interesting Paul. But as implied I'm at the shallow end when it comes to drums.
If the track is audio I guess I can just play along. And if it has fills all the songs will be a bit standardized. I like standardization.

Johnnyuk

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2018, 08:03:46 PM »
Hi,
Great minds think alike eh? :)
I was thinking about this the other day!
Now i'm thinking lets go one step further.
Lets say that someone on here donated their acappella vocal of say a chorus section to one of their original songs?
They then post it up on soundcloud with the bpm info for it and we get however long you decide to arrange our own music to that vocal.
Johnny :)

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2018, 10:16:49 PM »
The trouble with organising anything on a forum is that there's always loads of great ideas but less willingless to organise and promote them. I think we should stick with the original idea.

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2018, 07:52:59 AM »
I’m up for it...

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2018, 08:13:49 AM »
Paul, John,

Lets do the drum challenge song say end of May and separately think about a summer competition, end of July?
Personally I'd just make the download available and let people do with it what they want..
  :)
Neil
songwriter of no repute..

Darren1664

• Platinum Album
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2018, 10:24:40 AM »
Count me in! Sounds like a great idea....especially as I struggle to make drum tracks!

Hopefully I'll get Scott on board for a DNMC collab on this!

Cheers

Darren

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2018, 10:58:01 AM »
Great! We seem to have enough folks to run a separate little competition before the main summer one  :)

Are we ok to use the clash "complete control" drum track?

As seen here...http://www.songwriterforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=15145.0

I'll run it...but perhaps not do an entry myself...I'd be taking coals to Newcastle (again)...but I'd love to hear everybody else's take on it...

Is that a goer?

Also...anyone else interested to try to invite some of the moderators to come along with us for this one? I know it's totally voluntary...but I'd love to hear them posting a song on here...they always show admirable restraint, but you never know...
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 11:07:56 AM by PaulAds »

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2018, 04:21:03 PM »
I might have to miss this one. I don't know how to get the drum track in my DAW. And then I doubt I would be able to put it together with something else...unless there's someone out there who's interested in helping? No pressure, though, my time is tight, anyway.