konalavadome

The Serial Killer's Lulliby

• 5 Replies

Sterix

• Platinum Album
  • Devil may care, I do not!
    • Sterix Rocks!
« on: April 19, 2018, 11:33:09 PM »
Still going through my back catalogue of half-written lyrics and found this one. Looks like I wrote it in 2011 but I can't recall writing it (possibly something vague in the back of my mind... or maybe I'm imagining it). I've change part of one of the lines (originally I had him slitting her throat but changed the wording to make it less informational and more poetic - and "blade meets your soul" sounds so much better).

VERSE
Silence...
I watch and I wait and I take a deep breath
I inhale in my mind the sweet odour of death
Where the heart beats its last is where I am alive
For that brief, blinding moment where life and death vie

VERSE
Silence...
I've studied you long all unknown from afar
And I know of the window that's always ajar
To let in the air of the warm summer nights
Thus you welcome me in unaware of your plight

VERSE
Silence...
I creep through your hallway, in shadows wrapped deep
No hint of a sound that would wake you from sleep
And I stand for a while with my hand to your door
Then I open it softly, it's time now... I can wait no more

INSTRUMENTAL

VERSE
Violence!
The Angel of Death watches over you now
Your eyes scream the terror no voice could endow
Like lovers we share such an intimate time
As the blade meets your soul you're eternally mine!

{edit}
1. Changed the fourth line to say vie instead of strive.
2. Lengthened the fourth line of the third verse (yes, it does work in my head and doesn't break the rhythm any when sung).

Also, as a side note, because I meant to explain it at first post: the song is light on the instruments for the first three verse (pretty much piano, low key, in my head). It does get a little... firmer... for the third verse but not much. The instrumental bridges the softness of the "anticipation" of the crime to the actual murder itself - it sort of crescendos into some pretty brutal synth sounds and electric guitar.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 11:15:46 AM by Sterix »

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 12:48:29 AM »
That’s very good.

Though I’m loathe to admit it...I’m always drawn to the dark side, somewhat...so this was right up my street and I thought it was really well done. I’ve read rather a lot of the darkest stuff that people can do to one another...not because I enjoy it, but because I think I just need to try to understand what drives some people to do such desperate things to other human beings.

I never get any sort of an answer, though...just the sadness of knowing what depths of depravity some of us are capable of.

I could see you pitching this to Boyzone...for their reunion tour...as their true identities are revealed at last. Or something.

I saved a poem called “blood lust” by Dawn Leach which was about the ripper murders of 1888...i thought it was an amazing piece of writing...but couldn’t find any way of contacting her to tell her how great I thought it was...

Anyway...nice bit of writing...captures some of the horror that is out there...

heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 09:21:58 AM »
It sounds good in my head! No chorus is a good move for this type of theme I think - could be a bit too "nice".

One thing that stuck out was the word "strive" - for me it's not quite the right meaning and maybe rhymes too well. I think "collide" is a good image (but that extra syllable!) or keep it simple (but uninspired) with fight? Or perhaps better change it round to be "death strives with life". I'd probably look again at "endow" too - you have a lot of scope there as the "now" is easy to change. Anyhow, nice work!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 09:45:04 AM by adamfarr »

Sterix

• Platinum Album
  • Devil may care, I do not!
    • Sterix Rocks!
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 09:44:45 PM »
Hi @PaulAds

I'm glad you enjoyed my writing. I once wrote an entire album that was based on dark themes (rape, incest, paedophilia, bullying, suicide, another serial killer one, and other similarly dark themes - I should point out there was nothing graphic about the lyrics as the aim was to capture the emotions behind them). Pretty much all-but-one of them ended up so (one turned into a surrealistic journey through life but I couldn't bring myself to separate it from the rest).

Another "theme" running through all those songs was the fact I gave them all subtitles. Can't recall the reason why - I think it may just have been that the first two or three I wrote happened to be that way so I just OCD'd and carried on the tradition!

One of my all-time favourite songs that I've written is in there - called No Fairytale Kiss (You Pushed Me Away). It was about a woman in a coma who had saved her other half from an oncoming car... and how he felt as he sat by her side day after day.

I might post them here. I thought about doing so the other week but I didn't feel ready to at the time. Possibly the last "album" I wrote where I can still recall most (if not all) of the tunes. More difficult now, unfortunately, with my poor memory.

Hi @adamfarr

Just re-read it myself and you may be right with "strive" not being the right word (although for a different reason from yours - the "nice" rhyming doesn't really bother me that much).

But replacing it with "vie", I think, might fit the bill a bit better. The meaning is similar enough to not change the meaning too much but is different enough to maybe offer a slightly more accurate image of (my) intent.

What do you think?

Thank you both for your comments. :D

Mike67

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2018, 09:35:34 AM »
This is great piece of writing. I agreed with Adamfarr on the pure rhyme, it can a layer of tweeness that really isn't wanted here, and I note you've changed that. I also like that fact that you've taken no prisoners and followed the story through to it's gory conclusion, but tried to explain the twisted motivation in a very matter of fact way.  Great work.

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2018, 09:46:04 AM »
Sorry, my original note didn’t display correctly...

Vie is good!