Daffodils on Windowsills - Henry O'Farrell

• 13 Replies

HenryOFarrell

• Busker
« on: April 19, 2018, 07:43:18 PM »
Hey guys,

This is my new song, daffodils on windowsills:

&t=7s

Its a bit of a cute song, and is about a boy and girl that fall in love during the spring and summer, but for whatever reason (I'll leave that up to you!), they cannot see each other during winter. So he keeps a daffodil on his windowsill through winter to always remind him of spring and his love.

Hope you enjoy :)

The lyrics are:

Growing Daffodils on windowsill all winter long
And all nightlong well glow like street signs made of neon
From mountain peak to desert creek all in a lovesong

Your packing up you brief case, Love is just a brief taste, falling at your feet like you tie together my shoelace
You put me through you pace, unfamiliar faces, living on the traces of your love

We spin spinning tops on table tops chasing rain drops down bus stop doors
Running through wheat crops until summer stops Until we pack up shop and put the pictures back in the draw

Church on a Monday raincoats on a sunny day, half a pack of cigarette sitting in my ashtray
I need a clear sentence like HD display, your my colder than ice but sweeter than sorbet, I need a clear answer like fill out a fucking survey

Your the daffodil on my windowsill until summer comes back around

SlavaB

• Open Mic
  • Born to Rock
    • Official Web Site
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 09:25:21 AM »
Hi Henry,

Thanks for sharing your stuff with us all. Obviously music genre isn't to my taste, but I have to admit you are very good at what you do. Your attitude, your presentation and your emotions on a video are all great. Vocal and melody are nice as too. Fantastic effort and I think if you keep pushing your passions in regards to music, you will achieve a great results.

Keep up with a hard work Henry.
Cheers.
Slava B.

lillypilly

• Open Mic
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2018, 12:24:42 AM »
I really like this a lot I would not fault the lyrics personally, they are very good and have a Ed Sheeran vibe going on here
Keep writing Henry as you obviously suit this genre of music. cheers Lilly

Jack_Diamond.

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2018, 02:02:37 PM »
I like this a lot. Good guitar playing nice voice (performance and tone) nice lyrics so not much to say in that respect. One thing i would say is i'd be interested to see what you could produce if you where to experiment more with your style of preforming and songwriting. I say this because although the song and performance is great the inspiration from whom i assume is ed sheeran is very prevalent through the style composition and performance. You've obviously got a lot of talent and for me personally itd be a shame if you wern't to try something new.

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2018, 08:14:41 PM »
Hey Henry, big welcome to the forum.  I listened to your track 3 times.
Firstly and most importantly, you're a talented dude.  I'm jealous you can play acoustic guitar well and sing at the same time live to a camera.  Good voice too... a huskiness that you deploy well without over doing it.
And I like the song too, quite a lot.  It sounds very contemporary, especially the parts where you double the speed of the vocal delivery. Because you're obviously talented though I'm gonna be picky!
Picky part 1: I agree with Jack that it really sounds like Ed Sheeran.  I don't know his stuff that well, but I reckon if I heard this on the radio, I'd assume it was him.  We all wear our influences (me more than most based on the feedback on my last track!) but I reckon Jack's right in suggesting you find your own angle...  Only heard one track of yours so far, but you look young enough not to be emulating your heroes and to be cutting your own path.
Picky part 2: I dig the lyrics if you break them down into individual images.  I think it's great you're not just recounting a typical love song and there's some evocative stuff in there like the full ashtray, packing the briefcase, the raincoats on a sunny day, etc.  But the picky part is - put all those good images together in a stream like this, and I don't get a sense of the story... it feels a bit random and I'm not sure how they relate to each other, e.g. why does the narrator need a clear answer, to what?  How does it relate to the girl being sweet?  If you had great images like these telling a more coherent story, this'd be knockout.
Just my opinions mate, and I'm far less contemporary than you so feel free to ignore, but I felt compelled to share since you seem really talented like I said.  Good luck!

It's all too beautiful.

Johnnyuk

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 08:28:02 PM »
Hi Henry,
I have to agree with Pauly x and Jack on this one. You are so very very talented that the first thing i asked myself as i watched and listened to you is.. wow this guy is amazing then i asked myself....

Why is he emulating Ed Sheeran so much in what is his own original song?
It is one thing to admire Ed's music but to bring him into your own original song so much so is to me imo very detrimental to you and YOUR music when you are clearly a very talented young man who imo does not need to rely on Ed Sheeran or ANYONE in your music at all, this is something that i would seriously ask myself.

Also if you ever met Ed Sheeran in person would his advice to you be to keep on emulating him in your original songs or would Ed suggest that you should be YOU in YOUR songs?

IMO My advice to you would be to go back to all the original songs you wrote before Ed Sheeran influenced you.
Then post one of them up in here and see how people react to it.
I promise you Henry that not only will we all love it but we will see the REAL Henry shine through in his songwriting.
We need to see a lot more of YOU in your songs Henry.

I hope this helps.

Johnny :)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 08:52:56 PM by Johnnyuk »

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 08:47:08 PM »
Hi Henry. Long time no hear. What a smashing performance so full of confidence and some great playing. I won't comment on the ES comparisons as I think I ranted about it on one of your previous songs. You're a big talent man

Cawproductions

• Platinum Album
  • Producer, Engineer & Songwriter
    • AtticVibes Music Library
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2018, 09:45:59 PM »
Hi Henry

Great song and performance too, I guess the journey is as much developing your own style as playing what you like and listen to. I know others mentioned Ed, but I reckon the more you write and play, your style will come through,

Great work chap.

RealKevM

• Platinum Album
    • Soundcloud Real KevM 2
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2018, 10:09:45 PM »
What's the score with using two capos? (genuinely curious).
Decent song and a talented voice.

Katie Wilson

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2018, 08:41:31 AM »
Hi I wish was this confident in front of a camera , I think I that you ooze charisma and have the looks as well . Great lyrics as well / nice story to it which I really like - my only thing and maybe it's just me but it feels slightly rushed - but that's just my feeling. - just take your time but otherwise it's great xxx

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2018, 02:09:47 PM »
Love a bit of modern hip-hop influence in my soppy songs! Great tumbling rhymes one after the next. Yes, the great Ed does this a lot but it's hard to pull off and works really well here. (I'd say just be a bit careful with the line lengths though).

Really enjoyed it. I thought I was going to not like it so much as I found it hard to imagine why they couldn't see each other but I ended up totally going along with it.

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2018, 10:45:58 PM »
Yo Henry.

One thing which always stands out with your songs,is your passion.

It's this passion that carries the listener with you on the song journey.

Great playing,singing and performance. Keep 'er lit man.  8)

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2018, 11:14:35 PM »
Hey dude,

This is the first song of yours I’ve heard on here and I’m very impressed. You perform very well and with confidence. You have a great voice as well. I loved the flow of the lyrics although one line tripped me up a bit and that was the “running through wheat crops etc...”
I think you are talented enough to know that that line could be cleaned up a little to make it flow as well as the other lines. (You sang that line differently to how it’s written here, so we’ll blame the bee! ;D)

I must be honest, I found the last part to be very disruptive to the flow and energy of the rest of the song. Sorry dude. It might just be a “practice” thing, but to me the key seemed weird and you kinda lost me a bit there.

Apart from that, keep up the great work, keep writing,writing,writing!  ;D