insecure about voice

• 13 Replies

Rick trodat

• Busker
« on: April 19, 2018, 11:46:25 AM »
Hi,

Long time no see!

Do you want to be extra critical of my voice ( I can't stand it)

Anyway here it is:

https://soundcloud.com/schermer/where-do-we-go

SlavaB

• Open Mic
  • Born to Rock
    • Official Web Site
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 12:41:47 PM »
Hi Rick,

I like the guitar part expecially solo, vocal part and the song its self are also great. But it sounds like a radio edition, either you did not master it or the quality of mp3 is less then 192kbps. Compare to your another song which is "Rock Idee Gijs" - excellent sound, good levels and mastering as it overall.
However I like your track, I think its great! Something that has got a high potential.

Best Regards,
Slava B.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 12:43:51 PM by SlavaB »

redrhodie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 12:46:25 PM »
What's not to like? You sing in tune and the vibe of the song works great with your voice.

I'm giving it another listen to try to hear what bothers you. There's nothing that bothers me. Your voice is lovely. I would tell you if I didn't like it.

Now, what I've noticed is that our own voice sounds different recorded than it does to our own ears as we sing and speak, so that is always jarring at first. The more positive feedback I've gotten about my voice, the more I've come to accept it, so I hope this helps you.

Lynn

Jack_Diamond.

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 04:13:38 PM »
Don't worry about being insecure about you're voice, all singers are insecure about the voice until you've used it enough to be confident about it. You have a nice voice and i really enjoyed the song. Your pitch needs some work (notice how i didn't say a lot but some). Its not perfect but its very enjoyable to listen to and will only get better the more you practice singing.   

Mikey

• Solo Gig
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 08:04:49 PM »
Nice track, has a laid back feel which I like, nice guitar solo too, the voice is fine, its a little wobbly in places, but that sounds like a confidence thing to me, it will undoubtably improve with more practice, also sing it in a few times before you record it to warm up, the only thing I want to point out is the backing vocals need to be tighter, as they are distracting when they are out of time with the main vocal.

Nice job, keep it up, Mikey

Rick trodat

• Busker
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 09:01:19 AM »
Thanks everyone for the feedback. So I guess, practice makes perfect!

lillypilly

• Open Mic
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2018, 12:11:08 AM »
Well you might be insecure about your voice but I actually liked the whole vibe of the song, the only thing that got me was the backing vocals need to be tighter together as it stood out glaringly to me but hey it is true that practise is a very good tool to have. cheers Lilly

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2018, 07:11:29 PM »
IMO, your voice has the potential to be great.
You are reasonably in tune (and I think this can be greatly improved with practice) and you have a pleasing timbre to your voice which is good because that is something that is much harder to change than what you need to do.
To really improve your voice, I think all you need to do is:

- Firstly, for the performance, let go of your inhibitions. Let it rip, sing it as loud as you possibly can (forget about being in tune for the moment) a few times before recording and try to get in the 'mood'. Is there anything around preventing you from 'going for it'?

- Secondly, for the technical quality, plan out and practice the song. If you are able to map out the vocal tune on guitar or piano, this can really help you know precisely what pitch you should be aiming for. Sing through it as many times as needed so that you know it inside and out. In the recording, it was generally the backing vocals that ended up most out of tune - I would guess that you spent less time practising these than the main vocal?

Point 1 should also really help improve the pitch aspect - its really hard to sing in tune when you are singing softly. You usually sound better just by really pushing your voice.

Anyway, really, don't worry about your voice. Sing with conviction and you are 90% there.

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2018, 11:17:38 AM »
The thing about vocals in modern music is that they only have to somehow connect with the listener - something in the tone or texture that draws you to the singer. Well you have that, despite your worry about technical perfection.

This is a mellow and chilled number with a lot to like in it.

The instrumental break/fade out was overly long in my view and kind of lost me - I wanted yo to get back to that singing man, ha ha! Good submission.
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

Sterix

• Platinum Album
  • Devil may care, I do not!
    • Sterix Rocks!
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2018, 10:18:57 PM »
Crikey! I thought I was in Grease in the 50's! :p

RealKevM

• Platinum Album
    • Soundcloud Real KevM 2
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2018, 10:13:45 PM »
Nothing wrong with your voice mate, far from it. Nice song.

OleAnders

• Busker
  • Ole Anders Walseth
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2018, 12:20:44 PM »
Voice it pretty good. You do hide it a bit by doubling the vocals though. Nothing wrong with that either, but you may want to experiment with how you mix the vocal tracks to get the most out of your voice. Arrangement and song overal I liked.

Also, please note there are some "soundcloud" buttons above when you write your message to get it incorporated into your post. I didnt see it either the first time I posted:)

steevm

• Busker
    • soundcloud profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2018, 04:34:56 PM »
Well you might be insecure about your voice but I actually liked the whole vibe of the song, the only thing that got me was the backing vocals need to be tighter together as it stood out glaringly to me but hey it is true that practise is a very good tool to have.

+1, and I thought there was the odd point when the volume wasn't consistent enough.

But apart from the issue with the vocal takes not being aligned with each other, they sound fine. If you haven't already, zoom in on the second vocals and see if you can't chop up the take a bit to align the words a bit better. Or maybe you have some more takes you haven't used, and the meter is more consistent in those. If so, try swapping out the odd phrase.

Obviously they're never going to be 100% aligned, but they need to be tighter than here.

nectar

• Busker
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2018, 07:43:06 PM »
I quite like this song - laid-back but with a bounce. Your voice is not as bad as you think it is - your pitch is pretty good and your voice has a pleasant tone. The second half of the song feels a bit aimless - if it were my song I would probably shorten the solo a bit and introduce some more vocals/another chorus/try to find a way to give it a more definite resolution.

I agree with the comments about slight looseness/volume inconsistencies of the vocals. If you're interested there's a video course  on Groove3 that I found really helpful called 'Vocal Production Masterclass'. It's basically an experienced professional producer taking you through how he goes about processing vocals for a song - tuning, comping, aligning etc. You can get it as part of a bundle of vocal courses on there relatively cheaply.