Autumn Leaves

• 10 Replies

OleAnders

• Busker
  • Ole Anders Walseth
    • Soundcloud
« on: April 30, 2018, 04:00:32 PM »
This did not turn out completely as I wanted though all the elements are there and I think it is a decent song.
I guess what lets it down is that my vocal performance is not pleasant enough for a song of this lenght. Also it may be a little overproduced, end some of the lyrics? I need to re-record at some point but for now any input to this version and how it could be improved would be highly appreciated.

Autumn Leaves

(Verse)
Solemn leaves in autumn hue
entangle yellow and red
through autumn nights
lay soft brown at my feet on the streets I am walking
until the first winter snow shields them away

(Verse)
Under birch on quite roads
in October rain I have been walking alone
Ive been thinking of life and love
and to see if I belong somehow

(Chorus)
While autumn lay
on heavy branches
in quiet evening rain
I want let trouble reach me here
oh no not anymore

(Verse)
In this place the coldest winter wind
it chills me to the bone
through the black winter trees a lone bird ascending
through the clear of the dark winter skies

(Chorus)
And I walk by
through winter woods
through quiet winter snow
and I wont let trouble reach me here
on no not anymore
(Interlude)
At times my conscience is burden
and it is hard to know my right from wrong
but ever since the first time I saw her
it just might be I’ve found where I belong

(Verse)
And spring is ripe with April buds in bloom
life returns in shades of yellow green
and to fall in love with life and all things new again
once more

steevm

• Busker
    • soundcloud profile
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 02:09:27 PM »
Not sure there's much wrong with the singing. Are you possibly your own worst critic?

What I did think, right from the start, is that you could maybe do a bit of tape-sim double tracking on the vox. Just enough to get a little bit of that slightly washy almost flanged sound in there. Might work, might not. There's something a bit retro about the vibe here to my ears.

Side note: You misspelled "quiet" in the first verse.  :o

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 05:08:43 PM »

enjoyed your vocal very much. has character
beautiful melody reminds of a classic ballad i cant recall..
lyrics a little awkward in places but maybe adds a certain charm ..
sweet melancholy..
lovely track
i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

Martinswede

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 08:11:05 PM »
Hi!

Nice song. I like your vocals. Clear and with character. Some things might be improved though. The strings are a bit heavy/dense and give little too the arrangement. Solutions might be to reduce the amount of stems o to separate the stems by a larger interval. Also the lyrics have most of the story at the very end. It doesn't get exciting until it ends and resolves. Maybe a hint of the story arch in the first two verses.

Keep up the good work!

Martin

Johnnyuk

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2018, 08:40:29 PM »
Hi,
It's a beautiful uncluttered song with a great vocal! You sell the story in spades. Such a lovely song.
Johnny :)

nectar

• Busker
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2018, 09:01:31 PM »
This is a good song of its type - it reminds me of James Taylor (although that might be my unfamiliarity with the genre). I like the reveal in the bridge and the shift of imagery in the final verse. Your vocal is good - certainly pleasant enough to carry the song.

I would be tempted to scrap the choruses and make the second verse into the chorus - it sums up the 'story' of the song in a way that is more interesting and contrasts more strongly with the imagery that you have in the verses. It's not entirely clear in the chorus that you have what the 'trouble' that won't reach you is (beyond the wondering about belonging, which is something that you're already doing in the song). You could still use the progression of seasons in the successive verses and choruses to mark progression through the song, in the same way you already have.

I like the string harmonies, but I agree with Martinswede that they are a bit overpowering - maybe pare them down a bit.

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2018, 10:02:00 PM »
Hi Ole,

First impressions are that your vocals are great. And suit the style of the song really well. The song is gentle. It is perhaps a little twee, and maybe this is because it is immaculately produced.
Whether it is overproduced really depends on what sound you were looking for. studio quality to my ears.

Ultimately it's a pleasant listen and impressive if you are an amateur or professional.

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2018, 10:14:55 PM »
Yo Ole.

From the opening bars,this enchants and delivers in an easy,practiced manner. A joy for the ears.

I think,at times we can all get distracted by the mechanics of production,while forgetting it's all about the song. This is a fine example of songwriting and delivery.

The piece has echoes of Don McClean and Vincent,maybe it's that easy going singing style you have.

Edit...your stuff on souncloud is classy. Just had a listen and I'll be back for more.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 10:21:03 PM by Skub »

OleAnders

• Busker
  • Ole Anders Walseth
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2018, 09:17:31 AM »
Thanks, you are all too kind - which is of course highly appreciated. You may be right the strings are a bit heavy on the ears. As I had an idea for the arrangement I did want them in there (to kind of document it), but they are of course programmed. I do sing in key pretty much here and it is clean enough but I still feel my vocals are slightly strained and could have more feel. Good that it is not the general impression though. Thanks!

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2018, 05:27:20 PM »
Hey Ole, thought this was a lovely delicate song.
Vocals sounded fine to me - full of character; I like the way they are not too conventionally polished, it makes the song feel more genuine to me.
I especially like the melody in the chorus - the way you reach up for the opening notes of the chorus took me by surprise but it was great; I found myself looking forward to the second chorus because of that.  Plus the way you turn the meaning of the lyrics around to be more positive in the choruses - that fits very well with the higher notes.
It's all too beautiful.

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2018, 01:31:04 PM »
Super relaxed and tuneful song. Slightly sad but not lost.

I had a slight feeling of wanting the verses to move forward a little more quickly as they seemed to linger quite long on certain moments (except the last verse which seemed to have less empty space). I'm sure this is a deliberate choice and I may be just being impatient!

Really like the guitars and vocal harmonies. A very likeable song indeed.