Plectrum ?

• 9 Replies

Katie Wilson

« on: April 18, 2018, 12:47:49 AM »
As some of you know I have really purchased a guitar , I'm learning a few bits as I go (chords ) but I also want to experiment and just play about with sounds that I like and stuff - I've watched some you tube videos on playing single strings and I quite like playing with my thumb downwards and catching a few strings on the way up

I wondered what views others on the forum had and also are there any famous guitarists who don't use a plectrum
Thanks Katie xxx

dasntn

• Open Mic
  • Nex't'Nothin - my main gig
    • Nex't'Nothin
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 07:48:05 AM »
Mark Knopfler of Dire Straights is on that springs to mind. But also anyone who is finger picking, which most guitarists do from time to time.

Guitar is not my main instrument, so I'm no expert, but I do struggle a bit with plectrums, often dropping them. If you find that, you might want to look at Snake picks, which hold onto your finger.
Cheers
Dave

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 09:47:28 AM »
Try to become comfortable using a plectrum, for strumming and lead work. The plectrum will make your playing sound crisp. Equally. Develop your finger picking style, it's useful to be able to strum without a plectrum and is fairly easy too. If it is your goal, you'll also be able to play a little lead without plectrum too. Simply enjoy playing.

Wicked

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 12:56:01 PM »
Yo Katie.

Experiment with absolutely every way of birthing a note. Plectrum,fingernails or whatever.

I started playing by using pick and over the years I gradually edged towards using my fingers. I love the control and the organic feel of having both hands in direct contact with the guitar,so these days I seldom use a plectrum at all,except when playing bass,because the longer nails on my right hand tend to connect with the strings anyway!

I love that sound of plucking all the notes in a chord simultaneously,it sounds so different from strumming. With nails I also find it much easier to pick out little partial chords and give them a wiggle! If you wanted to hear what that sound like,just listen to most of Knopfler's music.
The most recent song I have up in 'Finished songs',you'll also hear me use that technique in the opening bars on rhythm guitar,where it's mixed with a few single notes.

Try different materials of plectrum,some will give a sharper tone,some a softer attack,even the types of strings you use will have an effect.

My nails are quite soft and wear out easily,so when I was gigging I used acrylic nails,then filed them to shape. I don't play live now,so I can get away with just my own nails. This was a great relief,as I must have used gallons of superglue over the years. I always carried tubes of it in my guitar case. I was worse than a woman,losing a nail was a disaster!  :D

In short,just try everything and settle on a style that grabs ya.

Katie Wilson

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2018, 02:08:35 PM »
Thanks for all the advice - I suppose that there is no right or wrong way if it works for you then it's the right way

Oldbutyet

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2018, 11:54:01 PM »
Great advice from all Katie, myself i don't use a plectrum when i'm recording i tried it a few times but when you're sitting in front of a mic with acoustic and lyrics the finger picking for me kind of flows better with vocals, one thing i learn in those private moments when recording is that you're not just listening back to your vocals but your fingers as well, it takes a few recording and probably many listening back to figure out what's best for you, but once you do your fingers will start working with your vocals and vise a versa, it's call finding your style that suits you best and taking it from there.

Very enjoyable journey Katie looking forward to hearing something with or without plectrum   8)

Katie Wilson

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2018, 12:24:09 AM »
Thanks pat xxx

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2018, 07:49:08 AM »
Hmm pleckies.

In my opinion it rather depends on the song and how you want it to sound, but here's what I use, it might be of any help at all to you, but I've tried loads.

For Jazz I use Jim Dunlop Jazz III
For hard strumming my acoustic I use Martin Thins (I like to feel it bend, and it sounds MILES better than a thick plecky)
For rock I use Gibson Medium
For finger picking, classical and finger strumming I use my nails with the profile about 1mm above the ends of my finger tips when looking from the back (listen to Missy Higgins 'Forgive Me' to hear how finger strumming can sound)

Also think about where you hit the string near the bridge or near the neck, or in between, it makes a HUGE difference, before amps and electric guitars the only way to get a different tone was by playing the string nearer or further away from the bridge, try it Katie, it's really eye opening, and something maybe forgotten by some guitarists.

Hope this helps, and great that your learning, just keep playing.

cpm

Jenna

• Solo Gig
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2018, 12:44:25 AM »
In my youth, I could never master down picking so switched to finger picking instead. Now with my second go around and moving more into rhythm playing at the moment, I prefer playing with a pick unless the song calls for Travis picking, which I find incredibly difficult with a pick but it's getting easier to skip strings more accurately. The Boom chicka can be played either way, with fingers or a pick, but a pick will give a sharper sound if that's what you're after.

I'm also a fan of ultra light picks. They give a bit of an initial rhythmic snap with your attack and that adds another dimension to playing an acoustic. It's like adding a snare or high hat on your beats that you can accentuate at will.

As far as the heavier picks, I don't yet have an instrument that handles them well. I'm not a heavy rock player and I think they're more useful for that genre. As Skub mentions, try a variety. I just got a variety pack of thicknesses and materials, and enjoyed trying them out with different songs and instruments to see what sort of flavor they bring to the music. The pick is an important part of the tone you generate. Having a variety to choose from will give you many more options than sticking with just one.

Katie Wilson

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2018, 07:37:51 AM »
Thanks Jenna xxx