If Jan Akkerman Played a Telecaster.

• 31 Replies

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« on: April 17, 2018, 05:07:06 PM »
That's a damn sentence for a title,ain't it?  :D

I thought I'd give you all a bit of respite from my vocals for a while...that's a partial truth,because these days I can't get peace to work on that side of things.  ::) Cue,one short guitar based instrumental.

Anyway,copied directly from the soundcloud link it says....

In my teens I loved Focus songs such as Hocus Pocus and Sylvia,they epitomised melodic rock guitar of the era. My love affair has been with the Telecaster,so this is my ham fisted tribute to Jan and the rock instrumental.

I'm always open to suggestions,like most folk,some will work for me and some won't,but overall perspective can be lost when one flies solo and fresh ears are always good.
So listen and enjoy or laugh or slag.  ;)

https://soundcloud.com/skub1955/if-jan-akkerman-played-a-tele
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 06:10:59 PM by Skub »

dasntn

• Open Mic
  • Nex't'Nothin - my main gig
    • Nex't'Nothin
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 05:13:51 PM »
Hi Skub

I know I'm supposed to give detailed feedback, not just say I love it, but I love it!
Like you, I listened to Focus in my teens, and this brings back loads of memories, as it really does sound a lot like them.
Fabulous guitar playing and tone!

cheers
Dave

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 06:21:31 PM »
Well, I'd never heard of Jan Ackerman until about 4 minutes ago, but if this anything to go by, I've clearly missed out.

Awesome guitar work and some true craftsmanship in the writing.

Thought the metre work well too.

Very polished.

Yodasdad

Bill Saunders

• Platinum Album
    • https://soundcloud.com/bill-saunders
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 06:30:41 PM »
I knew I would love this from your description and before the first note was played. So I'm biased, no hope of any objectivity. Even though Focus were before my time (a lie).

You are a truly talented player Mr Skub and this is a brilliant composition which shows off your abilities at their finest. Could listen to this stuff all day. And I've never owned a Tele...there's a thought.

Superb my friend, just sublime.

Jack_Diamond.

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 07:28:02 PM »
Don't know jan ackerman, but im going to get acquainted now. loved this.

man of simple pleasures

• Platinum Album
  • power to the people
    • soundcloud
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 07:43:48 PM »
pretty dam good mister!
fly away and find my peace of mind...

https://soundcloud.com/man-of-simple-pleasures/tracks

Oldbutyet

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 11:11:41 PM »
Hey Davy The Stranglers and in part Hank Marvin, great control you got style Man  8)

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2018, 09:39:58 AM »
Hi Skub, I’ve always loved Jan Ackerman( or is it Akkerman? ::)),I saw Focus on their first uk tour and have owned all their albums at one time or another. I also had Jan’s first solo album. I’ve learned Kemp’s jig and le clochard from his work and always loved his soaring electric stuff as well as his lute playing. Incidentally I saw Thijs Van Leer live with his focus band last November, sadly without Jan, but the guy who took over could play too. Great tribute to a great musician. I knew you could play, I hadn’t realised how truly accomplished you are.
Fab!
Cheers
Jamie

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2018, 08:27:23 AM »
Whato Skub

Sounds just like him, nicely delivered. I'd like to know a bit more about the Tele.. I saw the image on the SC page. What pups do you use? and was the comp outboard or plugin? Do you play.010's or lighter?

Where's the lead yodelling? kinda missed that...must have been all that Gouda, Grolsch and Chip war.

cpm

SlavaB

• Open Mic
  • Born to Rock
    • Official Web Site
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2018, 08:32:05 AM »
Hi,
Great intro, great quality of a sound. My ears say thank you for this pleasure. Great theme, easy going. For some reason this instrumental makes me feel that im looking at Swans dance ballet ( positive way ). I like it.

Thank you.
Best Regards,
Slava B.

Rick trodat

• Busker
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2018, 12:31:01 PM »
Great mix. Very clear. I'm from the Netherlands, so i do know Jan Akkerman

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2018, 07:32:42 PM »
@dasntn

Yo man,don't feel constricted about what you think you have to post. It's not wrong to say you like something. It's more wrong to invent a lot on bollix just to make it look like you ticked the boxes. Thanks dasntn.  :)

@Yodasdad

Thanks for making me feel old,YD.  ;)

@Bill Saunders

Ta Bill. I must admit Telecaster ownership came late to me,so there is hope for ya yet!  :D

@Jack_Diamond.

Cheers Jack.  :)

@man of simple pleasures

Thanks MOSP.  8)

@Oldbutyet

Yo Pat,cheers man.

Cawproductions

• Platinum Album
  • Producer, Engineer & Songwriter
    • AtticVibes Music Library
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2018, 10:05:11 PM »
Hi Skub
Just dropped this one,

Yeh This is great, Bassline is wicked. and the lead.....er yes please.

Dont know who Jan Akkerman is (will google later) but this tracks got balls.

Cheers
Andy

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2018, 03:29:32 AM »
No slaggin from this neck of the woods Davy.
Didn't know the ventures did waltzes but I enjoyed this one.
Who needs vox - anyway?

Paul

PS - you keep pickin that thing and it'll never heal  ;D ;D

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2018, 08:33:59 AM »
Hi Davy

Guitar work was really amazing. I know that words like that get chucked around all too often, but I really mean that.

Great tune, great sound too. No gimmicks to hide behind...just great feel, excellent technique and precision execution.

I thought this was on such a level to have outgrown the logic drummer...I know from bitter experience how hard it is to put a really good 3/4 drum track together...and although this does the job perfectly adequately...the guitars are so good that they left Logic’s flagship drum solution trailing in your slipstream. What the solution to that would be, I can’t say...but I think it’s testimony to your writing playing and recording skills when you can do that/this.

I wish I could play even half as well as this. I love telecasters too. That’s a start, I suppose  :D
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter